JDG2 back in picture

Meant to comment on Jono after Vilarreal fell on the last day of the season, after Rayo scored in the last minute vs. Granada and sent them down.

My initial reaction was that now Jono will commit to Canada for sure. The reason being that he has had his worst pro year ever, his team is now in 2nd division, and they still have to figure out who they are going to keep to get promoted next year, who they'll sell to keep costs down. I think they'd let him go as his salary is probably high and he has played little this year, so a transfer makes sense.

But he is in fact further from the Holland mix than ever. He is on the bench on a relegated team right now, he won't get a call for the Eurocup. And it'll be almost impossible for him to get a call for Holland for WC qualifying, there is too much talent and rising talent in his way. He'll miss WC2014 and by then will be looking for his last pro contract.

In other words, this is the best time to get your feet on the ground, and committ 100% to Canada. But he doesn't.

So he's a bit of a dumshiit I conclude.

Comment on his play this year: I think he has put on weight, he looks slower when he was always lithe and darted about, he looked sluggish, predictable and uninventive. Fair enough, no coach helped and the whole team was dull all season, but still. He was way sharper just a year ago at Mallorca (who just missed making Europa League, ironically), and I think was probably 3-4 kilos lighter.

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just an FYI, reporters were told by the CSA yesterday in the Stephen Hart conference call that JDG2 was still in the midst of going through the legal process required to represent Canada.

Just an FYI, reporters were told by the CSA yesterday in the Stephen Hart conference call that JDG2 was still in the midst of going through the legal process required to represent Canada.

I'd still take him even if it just the last 4 games.

So he wants to play for the Nederlands but still trying to get his Canadian passport? He must think Canadian Soccer Fans don't even exist...

I think all this talk of still wanting to play for holland is only to try to help him get a job on another team. He will play for Canada.

This is a possibilty. May i also add that Holland is pretty relaxed in terms of non-EU's playing in their league. I believe Dutch clubs can have as many non-EU players as they like, but any players over age 21 must be paid over a certain amount (450K Euros?). So Jono could go back to Holland, even give back his passport and play for a club like Twente, Feyenoord etc. as long as he's getting paid over that amount.

In September he'll have been in Spain for 2 years, can he apply for a Spanish passport then as well? (and drop the restrictive Dutch one?)

Meant to comment on Jono after Vilarreal fell on the last day of the season, after Rayo scored in the last minute vs. Granada and sent them down.

My initial reaction was that now Jono will commit to Canada for sure. The reason being that he has had his worst pro year ever, his team is now in 2nd division, and they still have to figure out who they are going to keep to get promoted next year, who they'll sell to keep costs down. I think they'd let him go as his salary is probably high and he has played little this year, so a transfer makes sense.

But he is in fact further from the Holland mix than ever. He is on the bench on a relegated team right now, he won't get a call for the Eurocup. And it'll be almost impossible for him to get a call for Holland for WC qualifying, there is too much talent and rising talent in his way. He'll miss WC2014 and by then will be looking for his last pro contract.

In other words, this is the best time to get your feet on the ground, and committ 100% to Canada. But he doesn't.

So he's a bit of a dumshiit I conclude.

Comment on his play this year: I think he has put on weight, he looks slower when he was always lithe and darted about, he looked sluggish, predictable and uninventive. Fair enough, no coach helped and the whole team was dull all season, but still. He was way sharper just a year ago at Mallorca (who just missed making Europa League, ironically), and I think was probably 3-4 kilos lighter.

Thanks for the insight! If he truly is still trying to get his Canadian passport and wants to play for us I'll take a slow, uninventive and fat JDG2 anyday!

Here is an idea I threw out there about holiett. Does anyone think de Guzman sees no economic benefit to give up his dutch passport and play for Canada, so he won't play internationally at all? Better players than him haven't had an international career so what is he losing not playing internationally. Also I have said in The past de Guzman is too good to pass up on if he wants to play, well now is the time to fish or cut bait with this guy. He looked like a world beater in his teens, now he is just a slightly upgraded dero (not a bad player but the days of kissing his ass should be over)

I hope he suits up for us, he will make a difference hes still a very good player who can score and create. I hope hes just talking up the dutch to try and get back onto a Dutch team and is still trying to sort out the red tape to play for us. I have to believe what his brother said, I can't see Julian coming out and saying what he did without a strong concerted effort for JDG2 to play for Canada, if he waffled because of the passport issue I guess I can swallow that, I would hold out hope he would give up the passport if he could find a deal in a league where it was'nt that important though but I can't believe there is any reason why he would decide to play for Canada then after a horrible season somehow change his mind that the Dutch door is open again.

Gotta be honest, I twittered both of them today with positive messages re: the #CanMNT. Junior appears to almost never be on twitter.

I don't expect a response from either but since Hart said "why don't you ask them yourself?" I thought...why don't I!?

I really don't know why JDG2 even let his brother say anything about wanting to play for Canada before he knew that he could forsure. If he is unable to play for Canada in the end he will be dislike more for giving false hope.

JDG2 has been linked with Hamburg and Shalke on Transfermarket.de. I wonder what a move to Germany would do to this whole saga. Anyone know how stringent the Bundesliga is on the amount of foreign players allowed on a team?

JDG2 has been linked with Hamburg and Shalke on Transfermarket.de. I wonder what a move to Germany would do to this whole saga. Anyone know how stringent the Bundesliga is on the amount of foreign players allowed on a team?

Why would it matter? He may be trying to get his Canadian citizenship back but I don't see him being willing to give up Dutch citizenship to do that.

It would matter if he could sign a longish contract as a non-EU in a top European division (taking care of his club career) and can actively peruse getting his Canadian citizenship without his Dutch citizenship interfering, thus creating an international career one can only assume he would want. I am not sure how likely a longterm contract is after his past season, let alone as a non-EU spot.

It would matter if he could sign a longish contract as a non-EU in a top European division (taking care of his club career) and can actively peruse getting his Canadian citizenship without his Dutch citizenship interfering, thus creating an international career one can only assume he would want. I am not sure how likely a longterm contract is after his past season, let alone as a non-EU spot.

He is not going to give up his Dutch citizenship to play for us. Even if he signed a long contract it would affect his ability to transfer if things did not work out with that team. It would also affect his ability to live in Europe after his career. JDG2 is interested in playing for us if it is not going to have any negative consequences for him. He is not going to make serious sacrifices to play for us. If he can not get dual citizenship and retain his Dutch citizenship we will not see him in the Canada shirt.

Whats the possibility of him getting German citizenship/ Is it more or less restrictive than the Dutch one?

German citizenship is also very restrictive both in terms of getting it and in keeping another citizenship. And even if he qualified he would not get it until his career was practically over. The only possibility he will play for us is if he can manage to get Canadian citizenship while retaining his Dutch citizenship.

He is not going to give up his Dutch citizenship to play for us. Even if he signed a long contract it would affect his ability to transfer if things did not work out with that team. It would also affect his ability to live in Europe after his career. JDG2 is interested in playing for us if it is not going to have any negative consequences for him. He is not going to make serious sacrifices to play for us. If he can not get dual citizenship and retain his Dutch citizenship we will not see him in the Canada shirt.

This x1000

German citizenship is also very restrictive both in terms of getting it and in keeping another citizenship. And even if he qualified he would not get it until his career was practically over. The only possibility he will play for us is if he can manage to get Canadian citizenship while retaining his Dutch citizenship.

Can someone not get Spanish citizenship after 2 years if they have a passport from a former Spanish colony? Jono just needs to get a Filipino passport through his dad and then apply for a Spanish passport this September.

Can someone not get Spanish citizenship after 2 years if they have a passport from a former Spanish colony? Jono just needs to get a Filipino passport through his dad and then apply for a Spanish passport this September.

Even if he has Philippines citizenship through his father he would have to have been born in the Philippines, ie. natural born citizen, to qualify for the 2 year rule.

Regardless I have not seen any indication that Jono is willing to jump through hoops to play for us. If he can get his Canadian citizenship back without a lot of hassle he will play for us. If he has to give up his Dutch citizenship which he did jump through hoops to get he will not play for us. As much as the Dutch passport helps him career wise he does actually seem to consider himself Dutch as well, he is not going to give it up. He has a very lukewarm commitment to Canada and playing for us. If it is easy for him to play for us without sacrificing anything he will now that his Dutch aspirations seem to be over but he is not going to go out of his way either.

• 2 weeks later...

Full article here: http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2012/06/06/jonathan_de_guzman_canada_david_hoilett/

Canada on back burner for de Guzman

Jonathan de Guzman still might one day play for the Canadian national team.

But like David Hoilett, he won’t consider pledging his international allegiance to Canada until he signs a contract with a new pro club. That’s the message from Julian de Guzman, the veteran Toronto FC midfielder and Jonathan’s older brother.

“It’s kind of on the backburner right now. He wants to see where he settles in terms of his new team and then he’ll decide about the next step,” Julian de Guzman told sportsnet.ca.

He later added: “It’s getting really complicated for him and I think at one point he just realized he wants to figure out what he’s going to do with his club before he decides what he wants to do at international level.” ....

Archived