JDG2 back in picture

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Brethers

I think start Simpson on the left, JDG2 in the middle and Hoilett out right. As has previously been mentioned they can all interchange freely, which Hart likes anyway. I like the Ricketts up front shout, the pace and skill from the front 4 players would be intimidating to CONCACAF defences

There is no problem if you include JDG2 and Hoilett. If, don't want to jinx anything. So, Hypothetically.

As far as on field positions there's no problem.

The issue would be playing time, which is a slightly seperate issue. I doubt either would want to sit on the bench to let the older players have a go, and I doubt the vet's would want to give up the spots they've earned for a couple of 'fence sitters'

But once they're out there, no problem. If you look at the last round of WCQ we were playing what amounted to a fairly fluid FRONT 6!!!

At various times we had the front six players all over, with guys moving from forward to midfield, and vice versa, pretty sure I saw Will Johnson playing CF for a short spell. It was very fluid and organic, which makes sense, if you look at who we had out there, guys like DeRo, Jackson, Ricketts, Johnson, Hume, Simpson, anyone of those guys could probably play anywhere in the front six in a 4-3-3. Hoilett and JDG2 would be the same, able to deputize for short spells, just about anywhere if the situation demands it.

The one exception is Occean, he is basically just a poacher, a pure forward. I'm afraid I'd like to see someone like Haber take his spot, at least eventually, because I think in the long run, the latter is able to contribute more to the build up play than the former, and he has shown he has a high work rate, as well as being very good on the ball.

Ideally a guy like Habs takes Occeans spot in 2-3 years, but not yet. And only after Habs is established in Europe or returns to full-time role in MLS.

Then again, TFC has a few forwards coming through, and Whitecaps have a few midfielders coming through...so things can change. Sorry, I have no knowledge beyond Crepeaux about the Impact kids.

And if Aleman can get into Sociedad's first team in the next 2 years.....?

I have Ricketts ahead of Occean due to his mobility. But Occean can really poach for us and lead the line in a different way. I think Ricketts is ahead of him though despite the discrepancy in their league play....

There is no problem if you include JDG2 and Hoilett. If, don't want to jinx anything. So, Hypothetically.

As far as on field positions there's no problem.

The issue would be playing time, which is a slightly seperate issue. I doubt either would want to sit on the bench to let the older players have a go, and I doubt the vet's would want to give up the spots they've earned for a couple of 'fence sitters'

But once they're out there, no problem. If you look at the last round of WCQ we were playing what amounted to a fairly fluid FRONT 6!!!

At various times we had the front six players all over, with guys moving from forward to midfield, and vice versa, pretty sure I saw Will Johnson playing CF for a short spell. It was very fluid and organic, which makes sense, if you look at who we had out there, guys like DeRo, Jackson, Ricketts, Johnson, Hume, Simpson, anyone of those guys could probably play anywhere in the front six in a 4-3-3. Hoilett and JDG2 would be the same, able to deputize for short spells, just about anywhere if the situation demands it.

The one exception is Occean, he is basically just a poacher, a pure forward. I'm afraid I'd like to see someone like Haber take his spot, at least eventually, because I think in the long run, the latter is able to contribute more to the build up play than the former, and he has shown he has a high work rate, as well as being very good on the ball.

I don't see Haber ever being more than a squad player for Canada, I think he's overrated by many here. I hope I'm wrong but I think if he's a long term solution we're in serious trouble.

I don't see Haber ever being more than a squad player for Canada, I think he's overrated by many here. I hope I'm wrong but I think if he's a long term solution we're in serious trouble.

Well, that's certainly NOT what I was saying. I said we basically played with 6 forwards, and that Haber is versatile enough that he could fit into a situation like that one, where basically, you have a potential nightmare for a defense because you have more than half of your opponents experienced at scoring semi-regularly, and able to come at you from different positions. Is he an AM, no. Is he a Winger, no. But for a couple of touches, or even a few minutes, I think he could deputize as either.

Yes, Habs isn't the answer but likely a strong piece of the puzzle. Ricketts is young, as are Jackson, JDG2, and JH so Habs will always be in tough to get into the side if we get all these guys.

Ricketts is 24. People need to stop referring to him as young. Young is 21, 22 in soccer. Ricketts runs fast, that's it. He plays in Romania. He's not suddenly going to turn into a great players at 26 or 27.

Let's just put aside the fact that this most poor and hard done by chap by the name of JDG2's, who has easily managed to fulfill and even exceed many of his and family's life goals thus far, has been misled over the years with the aid of bad advice from those closest to him as to which country he should ally himself with. Does nobody find it questionable in any regard that an individual should choose to give up access to citizenship and then be fast tracked back to citizenship now that he has had the epiphany through a most convenient whim of decisiveness that he will indeed save Canada and her most historically destitute record in qualifying for the World Cup? We are a sad sort aren't we, us Canadian football fans? Well, I say it would only be fitting that Canada should be asked to advance without this young and most confused individual for at minimum the next round of qualifying regardless of his attacking prowess and desire to play with his equally accomplished sibling. What an inspirational and almost romantic story of brother love that is, by the way.

Actually, please forget I mentioned all that ...let the guy on the squad right away - who needs all that bureaucratic nonsense - we got NO chance without him and it's a long term vision of success we are looking for. Doesn't matter how we get to the World Cup, as long as we get to the World Cup. It's in Brazil of all places too. Love to see that.

I say we focus on Hoilett! Even to the point of influencing through mediums of international mind control techniques. Surely someone has that ability here?

@soccerpro - it's known Ricketts is playing at a level below his ability through no fault of his own. He isn't "young" I understand. He's "young" by international standards (not a lot of appearances - for example). He'll improve. He won't vastly improve, but he'll improve. Occean wasn't exactly playing at a B2 level and scoring as he is when he was Ricketts' age - now at 30 lighting it up. So yes, it can happen. I personally believe he has more upside than Occean. I also think he'd fit in better with the players we'd have out there as he'd match their speed of play, and mobility. Whereas Occean is a straight-up CF, who may slow things down too much....he also appears to be a grumpy SOB! :)

Let's just put aside the fact that this most poor and hard done by chap by the name of JDG2's, who has easily managed to fulfill and even exceed many of his and family's life goals thus far, has been misled over the years with the aid of bad advice from those closest to him as to which country he should ally himself with. Does nobody find it questionable in any regard that an individual should choose to give up access to citizenship and then be fast tracked back to citizenship now that he has had the epiphany through a most convenient whim of decisiveness that he will indeed save Canada and her most historically destitute record in qualifying for the World Cup? We are a sad sort aren't we, us Canadian football fans? Well, I say it would only be fitting that Canada should be asked to advance without this young and most confused individual for at minimum the next round of qualifying regardless of his attacking prowess and desire to play with his equally accomplished sibling. What an inspirational and almost romantic story of brother love that is, by the way.

Actually, please forget I mentioned all that ...let the guy on the squad right away - who needs all that bureaucratic nonsense - we got NO chance without him and it's a long term vision of success we are looking for. Doesn't matter how we get to the World Cup, as long as we get to the World Cup. It's in Brazil of all places too. Love to see that.

I say we focus on Hoilett! Even to the point of influencing through mediums of international mind control techniques. Surely someone has that ability here?

That's quite the introduction.

Ricketts is 24. People need to stop referring to him as young. Young is 21, 22 in soccer. Ricketts runs fast, that's it. He plays in Romania. He's not suddenly going to turn into a great players at 26 or 27.

Ricketts is young. Sure he's 24 and if he was Spanish or Brazilian he'd be considered older, but in his football development he's just beginning remember. I'm pretty sure he started playing footy at 14. He has a lot more room to grow in his game than your average footballer.

@soccerpro - it's known Ricketts is playing at a level below his ability through no fault of his own. He isn't "young" I understand. He's "young" by international standards (not a lot of appearances - for example). He'll improve. He won't vastly improve, but he'll improve. Occean wasn't exactly playing at a B2 level and scoring as he is when he was Ricketts' age - now at 30 lighting it up. So yes, it can happen. I personally believe he has more upside than Occean. I also think he'd fit in better with the players we'd have out there as he'd match their speed of play, and mobility. Whereas Occean is a straight-up CF, who may slow things down too much....he also appears to be a grumpy SOB! :)

Actually Occean was was playing at a level similar to B2 and scoring at a high rate from the age of 23 on in the Norwegian 1st division. Ricketts has some speed and potential but has not shown that he can consistently score at any level to be considered a starter for Canada. Even his numbers in Finland are not that impressive nor has he been exceptional in the Romanian 2nd division. 2 of his 3 Canada goals were against minnows. Until we find someone who can score for us on a regular basis he will remain in the mix and get an opportunity to impress but I have not seen anything from him so far to suggest he is one of the top candidates to be Canada's starting striker or strikers if Hart ever decides to employ 2.

Actually Occean was was playing at a level similar to B2 and scoring at a high rate from the age of 23 on in the Norwegian 1st division. Ricketts has some speed and potential but has not shown that he can consistently score at any level to be considered a starter for Canada. Even his numbers in Finland are not that impressive nor has he been exceptional in the Romanian 2nd division. 2 of his 3 Canada goals were against minnows. Until we find someone who can score for us on a regular basis he will remain in the mix and get an opportunity to impress but I have not seen anything from him so far to suggest he is one of the top candidates to be Canada's starting striker or strikers if Hart ever decides to employ 2.

I kinda agree with Grizz here. Ricketts has started a few games since he has emerged, but when push comes to shove and we are playing bigger games, I don't think he is a starter. I am content with him coming off the bench however. I do not think his strength is holding the ball up well, he is more suited for the wing, or a pacey forward role, and in that regard Jackson is clearly ahead of him in the pecking order and (arguably I suppose) so is Hume. Occean is not the player I would compare him to, he is closer to Haber than Occean in terms of what he brings to the team.

Speaking of Occean and his career, Norway top flight is indeed similar to B2 in quality and Occean scored something like 35 goals in nearly 100 appears for Lilliestrom, one of the better sides in Norway.

this thread has definitely gone off topic lol

I completely forgot this thread was suppose to be about JDG2 lol.

On that note, he sat again today against Sevilla. That doesn't sit well with me he needs to get more games in. He has seen action in 15 league games this season but has been struggling to see the pitch lately. The opinion on the Villarreal USA board is that he is very talented but doesn't work hard enough on the defensive end. They also note he is not playing in the same role as with Mallorca which has hurt him this season.

I'm sure he'll book it outta town for playing time. There'd be plenty of suitors if that's the case.

It should be, hopefully he leaves sooner rather than later. When Julian left Corunna all of the offers he had been receiving before seemed to evaporate. Football managers can have pretty short memories about players sometimes.

I completely forgot this thread was suppose to be about JDG2 lol.

On that note, he sat again today against Sevilla. That doesn't sit well with me he needs to get more games in. He has seen action in 15 league games this season but has been struggling to see the pitch lately. The opinion on the Villarreal USA board is that he is very talented but doesn't work hard enough on the defensive end. They also note he is not playing in the same role as with Mallorca which has hurt him this season.

What better place to get playing time than with our Mens National Team!

Jono will NOT transfer out for playing out, I am pretty sure. First, he signed last summer for three years on a free transfer. He is young and they can build around him. If they stay up in top flight, which I think they will, then he will be part of the rebuilding next year after the worst season in a decade.

Jono makes from what I have seen 1.5 million euros a year. Who else would pay that to him, plus a transfer fee, in the current market?

Villarreal have the budget to be fighting to get into the UEFA Cup every year, it is not like they are going to take this bad moment lightly.

Jono will NOT transfer out for playing out, I am pretty sure. First, he signed last summer for three years on a free transfer.

You got it a bit confused, he left Feyenoord on a free to Mallorca. The a year later Mallorca sold him for a rumour 8.5mill Euro.

It should be, hopefully he leaves sooner rather than later. When Julian left Corunna all of the offers he had been receiving before seemed to evaporate. Football managers can have pretty short memories about players sometimes.

Let's be honest.. do we even know he was receiving offers?? I doubt it really, Spanish managers were right in viewing him as a foreigner who was damaged goods. Well played on their part.

Archived