The Importance of Jr. Hoilett

Tuscan

Lloyd Barker@lloydbarker11 7m7 minutes ago

Lloyd Barker Retweeted James Covey FC

Jr. Hoilett does not need team Canada. Team Canada needs Jr. Hoilett. It really is as simple as that.

Jason deVos@jasondevos 5m5 minutes ago

.@lloydbarker11 It used to be an honour to represent one's country; now, it is simply a matter of professional convenience?

I think Captain Canada Jason De Vos kind of summed it up there.  Kind of helps justify our feelings and bitterness a little bit when even De Vos sort of is in that boat right there with us.  For the record, I've always had a lot of respect for Jason, and agree with much of what he says.

It's definitely a good thing.  But I FULLY agree with Zeelaw and Shermanator.  You shouldn't stay off the team for 8 years and then say to people we need you to come out and be fans.  It's like, we've been there, but where were you?  There's definitely some hypocrisy in that.

No there is not. Telling fans to support the team does not equate to being a hypocrite. Making a personal decision to play for a team is different than support for a team. You can do both but they are different things.

To say it another way: just because he never played for us for 8 years doesn't mean he never supported the team for 8 years. So saying he is a hypocrite because he is telling Canadians to support their national team is nonesensical emotional response and frankly speaking, is making shit up.

Edited by Obinna

You have no idea what he has or hasn't done. For all you know he has been defending Canadian soccer in the UK for years. Would seem plausable as he is a Canadian and is a TFC supporter (on record).

Saying he hasn't done shit all to support theCanadian national team because he hasn't committed to play for them until now is one of the best examples of making shit up.

Well, I do know he hasn't played for Canada despite being pursued for years.  That is something we all know. 

I do know he has looked at playing for Jamaica, and considered England.  That is something we all know.

Do I know if he has been defending CanSoc in the UK for years?  I don't know that, but if that's the best suggestion you have, I'm not too concerned about it.  I mean really, how many ex-nat's do that literally right now, after actually playing when they were fit to do so.  Yet you want to defend him with that?  

Hoilett is telling Canadian supporters to come support the team, despite the fact that he hasn't supported the team one bit until half an hour ago.

If he's here for the long haul, fantastic! My viewpoint on him will change. Until then, we have a reason to be skeptical.

This is patently untrue, since he had to have arranged to get that shirt a few days ago at least. And the scarf. They are new, not used, so I am sure the CSA sent them over. And that took time. He had to agree to get it, agree to wear white not red, so that was a hard choice. Then go down to the river and pose. They had to arrange the photographer. Then I bet the photographer said hey no, the weather sucks, so they even waited until it was "nice" out in London. He also got his teeth whitened and trimmed his beard. These are very clear signs he has been focused on representing Canada for at least a few days now. 

So don't be so fcking cynical.

I was always under the impression that his holding out had a lot to do with his family and not wanting to upset anybody. Wasn't it on the record a few years ago that his dad is a big Jamaica supporter and wanted Junior to play for them? I've always thought he knew he would feel weird playing against Canada, but didn't want to upset his dad who doubles as his agent. I don't remember where I read this or if it's true but that's why I thought he always used the "Focusing on my club career" excuse, so he didn't have to commit and didn't throw his dad under the bus. 

Can anyone confirm this?

Edited by BradMack

just a question. Would any national team turn down a player that could improve their team?

I don't think they would.

I'm not saying you have to like it, I just sort of think this is the reality of the world we live in. Floro knows his job is probably on the line in this qualification round and needs to pull in players that help his chances.

No there is not. Telling fans to support the team does not equate to being a hypocrite. Making a personal decision to play for a team is different than support for a team. You can do both but they are different things.

To say it another way: just because he never played for us for 8 years doesn't mean he never supported the team for 8 years. So saying he is a hypocrite because he is telling Canadians to support their national team is nonesensical emotional response and frankly speaking, is making shit up.

I disagree.  He had the ability to play for us, he refused calls to play for us.  Sorry, you won't be changing our minds on this.  It is definitely not nonsensical, it's not making shit up, (it is emotional, true, but what is a fan without passion) it's actually fairly logical, and if you don't feel that way, that's fine, already multiple people see the hypocrisy in it, so there HAS to be something to it.

Edited by madmonte

Look at the bigger picture.  Holier is poising himself for a big $ contract at TFC down the line.  If he committed to anyone else he wouldn't have that option and he's obviously seen the $ MLSE are throwing around.

Unfortunately, that new 4th DP "local" position that MLS introduced was the first thing that came to my mind when I read the news given the playing time he has got at QPR this year..  Regardless, I still think this is good news.  We need him.  However, we need Ferreira more.  

Have to admit the CSA putting this out as a teaser was a clear wink at this thread, they normally never announce things this way. So good for them, it is actually quite funny. Normally you just call someone up and that is how the rest know he is playing for the team. But the CSA couldn't resist, so I find it cute. 

For me, seriously: let him prove on the practice field to the coach he is an improvement to what we have, which has gotten us this far, so far so good. Let him then perform on the field. And if not, let him sit on the bench. If he can handle that, perform or sit, even if called to El Salvador, then fine. So for me the jury is not out, committment is not that announcement it is how he handles our complicated MNT and what he does on and off the field for us. 

I think that eventually, those of us who are cynical about Hoilett joining today can be swayed to root for him. IF, that is, Hoilett commits to this program long term and shows up when he is called upon.

I had cynicism towards Akindele when he first joined Canada after attending the US MNT camp too, albeit, in a lesser dosage. I've shed that cynicism. I can shed the cynicism towards Hoilett as well, but it won't be today, or in 2 weeks, or maybe not even 2 months.

Edited by shermanator

To me it really seams like many years of frustration are coming to the surface right now and in time (probably not very long either) his sins of the past will be forgiven.

Welcome aboard, get us some goals and help us get to the Hex and beyond and everything is good.

Lloyd Barker@lloydbarker11 7m7 minutes ago

I think Captain Canada Jason De Vos kind of summed it up there.  Kind of helps justify our feelings and bitterness a little bit when even De Vos sort of is in that boat right there with us.  For the record, I've always had a lot of respect for Jason, and agree with much of what he says.

In what boat? The "I am feeling bitter-sweet about hoilett's comittment" boat? All he is saying, based on what I can read, is that he takes issue with Lloyd Barkers comment

JDV is not making his opinion on Hoilett known in that tweet.

It is true that his father wanted him to play for Jamaica.  He's probably finally come down to the realistic conclusion that he can't have his cake and eat it too... one of those ignorant fools that thinks you can represent Jamaica and Toronto at the same time.  With supporters groups this narrative has changed, I doubt MLSE cares about what national team you play for but the simple fact is that the fans with a voice do and we don't forget.  

I'm excited for Hoilett and us.  I hope he comes committed and ready to play because at the end of the day that's where it counts.  He could be the best player in the world but if he comes with a crap attitude and isn't willing to bleed for us he is no use to the team and we have better options.  So let's see...

In what boat? The "I am feeling bitter-sweet about hoilett's comittment" boat? All he is saying, based on what I can read, is that he takes issue with Lloyd Barkers comment

I'm pretty sure his comment is related to Hoilett.  JDV also used to comment a lot about players like Junior on the TSN FC podcast, always harping on how playing for Canada isn't an honour to players anymore.

You're kidding right?  Saying that putting on the red is a matter of professional convenience is not a shot to hoilett how?  I'm sorry you've been measured up to now and saying that we have been reaching, but now it's clear you're the one reaching...it's very very clearly about Hoilett.  Go read it again.

Edited by madmonte

I disagree.  He had the ability to play for us, he refused calls to play for us.  Sorry, you won't be changing our minds on this.  It is definitely not nonsensical, it's not making shit up, (it is emotional, true, but what is a fan without passion) it's actually fairly logical, and if you don't feel that way, that's fine, already multiple people see the hypocrisy in it, so there HAS to be something to it.

There is something to it alright: you are all being emotional and that is leading you to call a new CMNT player a hypocrite. Whether or not I change your opinion, it is "making up shit" to call him a hypocrite based on your (and others, not picking on just you buddy) emotionally-fuelled opinion that is based on a false premise that not playing for a team = not supporting a team. That is false false false and you all are entitled to your opinion of him or the situation but I am going to keep pointing out that this opinion is not backed up by facts. When you call someone something because you have an opinion rooted in a false premise I take issue with that.