Vancouver Whitecaps FC Roster Dance 2011

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply
^I wonder if they're going through the process of making him Generation Adidas. From what we've seen this preseason, he won't be happy @40k per year for very long. He'll likely be the starting left midfielder on Saturday.

I don't get the situation. Why not just give him a senior contract? He seems well worth it.

On the sports report of one of the local TV stations tonight there was a feature on the multicultural makeup of the team and the number of different languages spoken in the dressing room. It's probably a smart business move.

In the future, if they have a bunch of local boys of different backgrounds, Chinese, Scottish, Indian, Portuguese and whatever else, that would be most ideal. They could surpass the Canucks in fan base with that kind of makeup.

I thought the new roster rules had a quota of 3 canadians for TFC and the Whitecaps, so now that the season has started shouldn't the caps have to have three canadians signed?

They have 3 I think: Dunfield, Davies and Rochat (a Swiss who was born in Canada and count as a Canadian).

BTW, who are the other potential Canadians who are training with them (Teibert and ?) and could potentially sign soon.

They have 3 I think: Dunfield, Davies and Rochat (a Swiss who was born in Canada and count as a Canadian).

BTW, who are the other potential Canadians who are training with them (Teibert and ?) and could potentially sign soon.

Oh, forgot that Rochat counted as Canadian for MLS rules even though he's played for switzerland.

A striker who will turn 23 in a few weeks and whose greatest accomplishment is 3 goals in 25 NASL games (most of which were starts, 1,726 minutes) does not seem like a very good prospect to me. I see this as more of a cynical marketing ploy in that obviously Vancouver has a lot of Chinese so it doesn't hurt them to have a Chinese player on the roster even if he doesn't play very much. From a marketing side Vancouver may have an Asian quota and Long Tan is a very cheap way to fill it.

I don't really disagree, accept to say that I've seen him play a few times now and he's quite good with the ball -with some Ronaldo like dribbling. We have two big strikers, but only Chiumiento with the ability to take on defenders. Tan can fill this role off the bench. And I wouldn't read too much into his Tampa stats as it must have been difficult for him to adjust to the game and culture there. I suspect he'll be much more at ease here this season, in great part to the reasons you mention above.

Long Tan also spent the 2009 season in the PDL, so he can't have had that much adjusting to North America left to do.

I was pretty impressed with what I saw from Tan at the Cascadia Supporters Summit, and I can at least see why the Whitecaps would give him a chance. He didn't look great, but he didn't look out of place either.

Teibert and Harmse are the only 2 "In Camp" yet to sign that are Canadian or count as Canadian...

Davies and Dunfield are Canucks, Rochat was born in Canada although he is a Swiss Citizen... but he counts as Canadian.

*edit: Rochat is listed as a dual citizen, so he must still hold Canadian as well as Swiss Citizenship.

Those are 4 excellent signings. Teibert of course looks exceptional. But I am very pleased with the Morfaw and Camillo signings. They'll do some damage, if not offensively, than at least in retaining possession in the hot summer months! Boxall looks a good pick-up too! These are some great announcements.

Doesn't Cannon count as a Canadian as well?

No, his dad is Canadian, but he capped for the Yanks, and I'm not sure if he has a Canadian Passport or dual citizenship, but I doubt it... The Whitecaps hime page, on the roster list, has the players names you can click... on their profiles there is a catagory called Citizenship, when you click Rochat's, he is listed as Canadian/Swiss. Cannon is listed as american.

Bobby announced 4 more players today, Teibert(my money is on him to open scoring saturday) Boxall, Morfaw and Camillo

Well that is good news. I am really looking forward to seeing young Teibert in action.

As per Mark Weber at the Province newspaper:

Caps have 27 roster spots signed out of 30, have used 7 of their 10 International Players spots: Morfaw, Koffie, Hassli, Chiumiento, Boxall, Camilo Sanvezzo, Khalfan.

I'm assuming Long Tan (China) and Atiba Harris (St Kitts) have American Work permits/landed Immigrant status and are allowed to play without taking up an International Spot?

I guess Harmse must have made the roster in some capacity:

http://www.canada.com/Whitecaps+roster+depleted+global+commitments/4482368/story.html

With both starting CBs unavailable, he might be the fill in.

Well nice to see him back at this level after such a long lay-off (more depth for the nats the better - he wouldn't likely get considered for a call-up playing in the VMSL), and also to see the Caps get slightly more Canadian with their roster.

Well nice to see him back at this level after such a long lay-off (more depth for the nats the better - he wouldn't likely get considered for a call-up playing in the VMSL), and also to see the Caps get slightly more Canadian with their roster.

I'd like to see them get a lot more Canadian, hopefully they follow what they were doing in D2 and sign a few youngsters as the year goes on

Archived