Vancouver Whitecaps FC Roster Dance 2011

Lennart Hartmann on trial. He came on late agaisnt RSL.

http://communities.canada.com/theprovince/blogs/backofthenet/default.aspx

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lennart_Hartmann

I'm impressed. German U-19 with some Bundesliga experience. Not a bad catch. This and the O'Leary arrival kind of remind me of something Wenger said the other day about the press not bothering to speculate on transfers because they'd never guess who he'd sign anyway.

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ethan Gage officailly not a Whitecap, on his way to Reading FC

http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/content.php?1100-Ethan-Gage-Reading

I kind of wonder if Ethan's agent had that setup for him before the end of the last season. He was in purgatory for a while here and yet he and the Caps appear quite amicable in their public statements.

Good luck and keep working on your game. Going to a team that is 9th in the Championship is a nice move for him. Hopefully he'll get some playing time with the first team.

Lennart Hartmann on trial. He came on late agaisnt RSL.

http://communities.canada.com/theprovince/blogs/backofthenet/default.aspx

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lennart_Hartmann

I'm impressed. German U-19 with some Bundesliga experience. Not a bad catch. This and the O'Leary arrival kind of remind me of something Wenger said the other day about the press not bothering to speculate on transfers because they'd never guess who he'd sign anyway.

Kind of weird as he is still under contract to Hertha till July '11. Perhaps they are giving him an opportunity to go out on loan as he doesn't fit into their plans (Hertha's that is). He has some 6 games with the Hertha U23's this season, failing to go 90 minutes in any of them. But was promising a couple of seasons ago and indeed has featured as a U19 for Germany.

Kind of weird as he is still under contract to Hertha till July '11. Perhaps they are giving him an opportunity to go out on loan as he doesn't fit into their plans (Hertha's that is). He has some 6 games with the Hertha U23's this season, failing to go 90 minutes in any of them. But was promising a couple of seasons ago and indeed has featured as a U19 for Germany.

The German manager apparently said it was tough but there were was too much competition at his position so they gave him a chance to find another club. I'm surprised that there wasn't another club in Germany that wanted him. Has 30 caps with the German youth teams.

http://whitecapsbeat.blogspot.com/2011/02/whitecaps-add-hertha-midfielder-to-camp.html

Was following the chat thread, interesting. Some clown 'informed the audience' that English Championship had better attendance that Bundesliga, which is complete bullcrap.

So the starting line up today was

--------------Harris

Teibert -- Chiumiento -- Salinas

-------Koffie - Dunfield

Rochat - Duckett - Janicki - Knight

-------------- Nolly

Using the players that are in camp/already signed, I would say that looks pretty close to the starting XI. Obviously you would slot DeMerit in for Duckett, and perhaps Cannon in for Nolly. But other than that I can't see how you can improve that XI with in the players in camp. I suppose if the Caps sign a proper first team forward, then Harris might move back in place of Teibert. On the other hand, who knows what could happen if the kid continues to impress this preseason.

So the starting line up today was

--------------Harris

Teibert -- Chiumiento -- Salinas

-------Koffie - Dunfield

Rochat - Duckett - Janicki - Knight

-------------- Nolly

Using the players that are in camp/already signed, I would say that looks pretty close to the starting XI. Obviously you would slot DeMerit in for Duckett, and perhaps Cannon in for Nolly. But other than that I can't see how you can improve that XI with in the players in camp. I suppose if the Caps sign a proper first team forward, then Harris might move back in place of Teibert. On the other hand, who knows what could happen if the kid continues to impress this preseason.

I hope you're right and Teibert is a starter but I just can't see it, how can a guy go from 1 USL match to MLS starter but hey who knows he's an awesome player maybe they didn't play him so he didn't attract attention (I did hear he was being tracked by an Italian giant from a reliable source).

Unfortunately this rumour is about Folan, not Forlan, but still a much needed striker:

http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/folan-leaves-hull-possible-mls-move-1427931

I think there is something to this. Marc Weber tweeted the original story with no mention of the Caps. He has rarely ever done this for players coming to MLS unless its Whitecap related. Wes Knight also tweeted there are rumors in the lockerroom and the names are impressive.

Unfortunately this rumour is about Folan, not Forlan, but still a much needed striker:

http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/folan-leaves-hull-possible-mls-move-1427931

Maybe he could get his career back on track but in MLS but to me he was an oft injured player who wasn't that great even when healthy. And considering anyone who has a few good games in England tends to get a name that is bigger than his ability, I doubt he would be really great value for the money he would want.

Maybe he could get his career back on track but in MLS but to me he was an oft injured player who wasn't that great even when healthy. And considering anyone who has a few good games in England tends to get a name that is bigger than his ability, I doubt he would be really great value for the money he would want.

Yeah he would quickly become the Barrett of the caps and be mainly a whipping boy I think.

Is there any Caps fans heading to tukwila for the last few pre-season matches?

Sounds like he's headed to Philly.

Weber reporting that Hartmann is gone as quickly as he arrived. Some Argentine forward who was cut by Columbus takes his place. No resume available online that I can find. Neri Bandiera anyone?
Apparently Hartmann was on trial and the trial ended, so that doesn't mean they aren't interested in him. The same way when Gage's trial ended he was back to VanCity and then offered a contract two weeks later. They may still sign Hartmann. Bandiera is listed as a "Residency Trial" not a MLS triallist?? hmm.

Ewerthon is available on a free. Some big teams are after him - if the Caps want to truly be a top 20 team than signing him as a DP would be an excellent start. Assuming he actually wants to be here. but at 29, you'd imagine he'd have a number of quality years left!

He'd be a great signing on the pitch. I get this feeling that the DP here will need to be a more marquee name. The European press are reporting that Mutu is reconciling with Fiorentina. Prior to this I thought he might be a possibility. Seems like a bit of a head case though. Marquee name or good team player? Seems hard to get both in MLS.

He'd be a great signing on the pitch. I get this feeling that the DP here will need to be a more marquee name. The European press are reporting that Mutu is reconciling with Fiorentina. Prior to this I thought he might be a possibility. Seems like a bit of a head case though. Marquee name or good team player? Seems hard to get both in MLS.

which is why you have 3 DP spots, nothing says all 3 need to be marquee names.

you get the one with the media ring to it and one like ewerthon, could work out.

I wouldn't count on Ewerthon. It seems that Newcastle are going hard after him, needing a replacement for Carroll.

Having said that, the Whitecaps seem like an organization that isn't worried at all about getting a marquee name. If they can get a quality player as a DP, that's all that matters.

which is why you have 3 DP spots, nothing says all 3 need to be marquee names.

you get the one with the media ring to it and one like ewerthon, could work out.

Exactly, if I were a manager none of my DPs would be marquee but then again I'm sure the manager has no say in that

Archived