Vancouver Whitecaps FC Roster Dance 2011

Tiebert has a lot more depth than Salinas. If he just gets a little more courageous and starts beating defenders one on one, he will be better than Salinas in every way.

At this point Tiebert has more potential, since Salinas is now 25.

However, Salinas has set up the Caps last three goals, against Man City and San Jose. If he keeps playing like he is, then he will rightly stay in the starting 11.

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^True that. By absolute average we are youngest in the league at 24.87 years. What's more, I looked at the minutes played and then adjusted the average age to account for who is playing the share of the minutes. You'd expect the 27-32 group to be playing the bulk of the time, but the average barely changes at 25.34. Guys like Koffie, Boxall, and Camilo are contributing much more than their respective age/experience would ask of them.

There is a rumor going around impactsoccer that Bernier will try out with the Whitecaps, per a tweet by Patrick Leduc. If this happens, expect the Montreal fans to burn Saputo to the ground.

I've heard this over on the SS board. Seems very strange to me given that he has friends on the Impact and is so well liked by the supporters in Montreal. Unless someone is telling him to stay away from NDS. :)

^I was just thinking that the Caps might have put a discovery claim on him this year. It certainly wouldn't prevent him from signing in NASL, but it might impact his transfer to MLS next season. Perhaps Montreal are content to see him "trial" in MLS and then pick him up in the expansion draft. It would be great if he could come in and solidify our midfield, but I don't rate him too much higher than Dunfield based on somewhat disasterous move to B2 at Kaiserslautern. Perhaps unfair, but part of my meh reaction is that I thought we were going to sign a DP central midfielder. At least he's Canadian, not **********, and we'd have someone who has taken more than 3 corners in their life.

^I was just thinking that the Caps might have put a discovery claim on him this year. It certainly wouldn't prevent him from signing in NASL, but it might impact his transfer to MLS next season. Perhaps Montreal are content to see him "trial" in MLS and then pick him up in the expansion draft. It would be great if he could come in and solidify our midfield, but I don't rate him too much higher than Dunfield based on somewhat disasterous move to B2 at Kaiserslautern. Perhaps unfair, but part of my meh reaction is that I thought we were going to sign a DP central midfielder. At least he's Canadian, not **********, and we'd have someone who has taken more than 3 corners in their life.

Agreed about his quality, he's the kind of guy Montreal could build around and upwards from, whereas more of a lateral move for Vancouver... he'd be much more important for Montreal and that's why I think fans will not be happy if true

Apparently Bernier tweeted to Leduc one minute before that "Check tes messages!"

Which makes it look like it could be Bernier that was the source and maybe trying to put pressure on the Impact. This would make more sense given that he has stated in the past "they know where to find me" when asked if he would come play here, which is a more enthusiastic comment than is typical of such situations.

^I was just thinking that the Caps might have put a discovery claim on him this year. It certainly wouldn't prevent him from signing in NASL, but it might impact his transfer to MLS next season.

Discovery claims wipe clean at the start of each season.

If he has opened negotiations with the Caps to pressure NDS, it makes me very nervous, because NDS strikes me as the type of guy that would close the book on a guy out of personal pride when clearly he should bite the bullet and do what it takes to bring Bernier here.

Wasn't Akoul released last month?

That was the initial report, but as recently as yesterday he was on the roster on the website. I guess he was deemed to be surplus to requirements a month ago, but the club kept him around for some reason. Depending on the type of contract he was on, it would have made more sense to release them prior to July 1 for salary cap reasons. All a bit strange really.

He is not yet 18 years old - has a year or two to go - so I suspect is not eligible for the senior roster under FIFA rules.

I don't know if I'm missing something, but Aleman is Canadian and he will play on Canadian soil. Unless his parents live outside Canada, I don't see what's the problem.

Yeah, Aleman would not have to wait till he is 18 if I understand the rules.

It would be an interesting prospect for him if he is having trouble finding European clubs, a positive stint in the MLS as a teenager could do wonders in him getting bigger Euro clubs looking his way.

Also would get the whiners to maybe quiet down for a bit cause we don't field any Canadians consistently, yet.

^There is no FIFA rule preventing a 16 year-old from playing senior team football. The only regulation is that you cannot transfer a U-18 player internationally. Since Aleman is transferring between Canadian clubs, FIFA has no jurisdiction here.
Yes, I was wrong. Being Canadian means that rule does not apply.

• 3 weeks later...
Massih Wassey on trial.

Interesting, gotta love the name. Any News on if he is progressing towards a contract?

Nizar and Jarju will join there national teams the 29th of August for African's Cup qualifying, They will not miss MLS action.

Jarju recently played well in the reserves game netting a goal, while playing in a midfield role.

While Brovsky and Teibert are being tryed out at the Right and Left fullback spots, I wouldn't mind seeing Teibert out at LB if he proves stable in a couple reserve matches.

------------Nolly

Harvey-Rochat-DeMerit-Teibert

-----------Koffie

Salinas-------Jarju----------DC

-------------Hassli

--------------Camilo

would be a interesting deployment of the club.

Archived