Vancouver Whitecaps FC Roster Dance 2011

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Now there are reports of Vancouver in contract talks with Alexander Frei (Swiss National Team Captain and TFC's Stefan Frei's 2nd cousin.) as well as Louis Saha of Everton FC.

'maybe another time'

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Caps+interest+Saha+telling/4376484/story.html

Frei would be cool, but we might as well sign the whole Swiss national team by then.

Yeah, seems the Saha door is shut according to the province article that Danny put up, well at least for now at least.

Frei now could be a real possibility, he has been a Clinical Finisher since the beginning of the Decade, and his recent spell in Basel has done nothing but prove he can still finish emphatically 25 goals in 37 matches since joining Basel. While putting up a scoring ratio of over 1 goal every 2 games since 1999. (302 games with 155 goals)

And this isn't a rumour at all, but does anyone think TT could get Eidur Gudjohnsen lined up for Vancouver at some point in the future. He most likely is not available right now, but maybe the Summer or Winter of 2012. He might be on his last legs here soon, but he has always been someone I enjoyed watching play, and has some versatility up front.

A. Frei would be an exceptional signing. Re: Hassli, ... well, it appears to be a decent signing. Big and strong, will allow a lot of room for Chiumento to work in, and gives us a very different look/partner for when Salgado is eligible. However, I wonder how much better the Swiss league is than MLS? Hassli's scoring ratio is not impressive. Although I recognize Basel, Young Boys etc would be better than the MLS's best teams. I have no clue about the lower level Swiss super league teams though.

I doubt Frei moves to the Caps guys. He said he went back to Basel because he wanted to retire as an FC Basel player.

I read both German and French FC Basel forums and not once was it mentioned he may come over to North-American.....

Eric Hassli is a big body up front and he plays a very physical game. As an Impact fan, I'm not happy with the thought of playing vs. him. I hated him as a FC Zurich player , I hate him as a Caps player ....

I doubt Frei moves to the Caps guys. He said he went back to Basel because he wanted to retire as an FC Basel player.

I read both German and French FC Basel forums and not once was it mentioned he may come over to North-American.....

Eric Hassli is a big body up front and he plays a very physical game. As an Impact fan, I'm not happy with the thought of playing vs. him. I hated him as a FC Zurich player , I hate him as a Caps player ....

I was also under the impression Frei moved to Basel to retire, but time can change things I guess, but could be just a speculation thing with all the Swiss connections now.

and Whitecaps have announced Hassli as the first DP, and the Duze described 3 types of DP he believes a team should have, A Marquee Name, Young player with upside, and A veteran with loads of Technical ability. Hassli obviously falls under the latter of them all.

I will also start speculation that Davide Chiumiento might just be coming on a DP contract as well. Though he might be a player you see come in not on a DP contract and earn it like Montero.

Okay, so 3 more young kids officially signed in Duckett, Sylvestre, and Brovsky.

That brings the total of off budget players to 7, unless Tan is also on a off budget contract though I have not heard that yet.

Roster is getting close to finalized, leaving some spots to fill in with international's/DP's in the summer seems logical, sit at like 27 players till then I assume.

The XI for Saturday should be strong enough to pull out a win at home.

^I wonder if they're going through the process of making him Generation Adidas. From what we've seen this preseason, he won't be happy @40k per year for very long. He'll likely be the starting left midfielder on Saturday.

Is that even possible? I think they are just in negotiations still or maybe they want to make it last minute and tout him as this outta nowhere young Canadian who was signed last second then the casual fan sees him on opening day and loves it?

Is that even possible? I think they are just in negotiations still or maybe they want to make it last minute and tout him as this outta nowhere young Canadian who was signed last second then the casual fan sees him on opening day and loves it?

Why, yes it is possible, Fonthill Fetishist. Two Academy kids can be signed to GA deals, exceeding the minimum. I would assume that, like Ethan Gage, Teibert doesn't want to tie himself to a standard MLS deal (1 + 3 yrs. of club options, for minimum.), but being younger, doesn't have an option elsewhere...plus, he likes the gloomy coast!

Kotton - allow me to be clearer.

"Long Tan.....are you kidding me???"

And yes, I am a Caps fan and hope to eat my words.

I totally agree...this guy guy hardly scored at D-2 level. Although he is still young, what makes anyone think that he can do it at MLS level? Maybe he's just filling in a hole in the roster, I dunno.

I totally agree...this guy guy hardly scored at D-2 level. Although he is still young, what makes anyone think that he can do it at MLS level? Maybe he's just filling in a hole in the roster, I dunno.

A striker who will turn 23 in a few weeks and whose greatest accomplishment is 3 goals in 25 NASL games (most of which were starts, 1,726 minutes) does not seem like a very good prospect to me. I see this as more of a cynical marketing ploy in that obviously Vancouver has a lot of Chinese so it doesn't hurt them to have a Chinese player on the roster even if he doesn't play very much. From a marketing side Vancouver may have an Asian quota and Long Tan is a very cheap way to fill it.

Archived