Vancouver Whitecaps FC Roster Dance 2011

No he won't solve too much, but he will give us some depth at fullback, he can play LB and RB from what I've read, and is much more competent than Leathers, Wagner and Duckett. So Rochat can play CB without everyone pulling there hair out when the opposition runs at us wide.

Leathers has been much better than the other 2 you mention. We'll see what brings. We need an attacking back but moving Rochat to the CB position seems to be a waste. Unless DeMerit is injured we need Rochat at LB. Boxall & DeMerit are good at CB.

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Leathers has been much better than the other 2 you mention. We'll see what brings. We need an attacking back but moving Rochat to the CB position seems to be a waste. Unless DeMerit is injured we need Rochat at LB. Boxall & DeMerit are good at CB.

I know thats wat I mean, when we have to move rochat over we are basically screwed right now having to put wagner out there.

Journeyman signing that adds a little defensive depth, not going to solve the club's problems on its own.

Wow, that is a comment that screams, "Doesn't know anything about the player, doesn't know anything about putting together a good MLS team." I can't see how fans are not happy about this. Playing for two teams previously does not make him a journeyman. He was also a starter for both of those teams and has been a starter pretty much since he made his breakthrough into MLS from Colorado's reserve team. This year he was the starting LB on one of the top teams in the league that has one of the top back 4s in the league. How is he not going to help the worst team in the league with one of the worst defenses in the league? Oh yeah, he is still reasonably young at 27 and his salary is only slightly more than $60 000. If you go on the Union forums most fans are perplexed by the move and are only hoping it is clearing salary for a big name signing, hopefully in the same position since they do not have a competent replacement at LB.

Yes this is not a big name big money DP signing like Frings or Kovermans. While maybe another DP signing would help the Caps this is not the real problem with the team. The Caps have a number of good high level players, the problem is they are surrounded by a lot of mediocre players. The Caps have too many MLS depth players who are playing as starters. In the back the Rochat Demerit CB pairing could be one of the best CB pairings in the league but it is ruined by having two guys who should be depth players starting. Boxall has probably exceeded expectations so far and is a young guy for the future but he still would be a bench player on any decent MLS team. Because he is the best of the depth players he is started and Rochat is played out of his favoured position although he is a quite capable LB. Rochat is a big upgrade on Boxall at centre back so Boxall can be shifted back to the bench and be a pretty good replacement for DeMerit if he keeps having injury problems. And the Caps can drop a crap player making $150 000 in Akloul for a good player making $60 000 (exactly what in Akloul's past of playing lower division in France and in the 2nd divisions in Algeria and UAE convinced Caps management he was not only an MLS level player but worthy of a $150 000 salary? Or does spending a whole year injured in NASL make you an MLS level player?). Suddenly the Caps have a back 4 with three guys who are the level of good to excellent MLS starters. Leathers needs to be upgraded as well but a back 4 with 1 weak cog is a lot stronger than a back 4 with 2 weak cogs. If the Caps can upgrade a few more positions with good starters and put the depth players back on the bench that will do a lot more than one or two big name signings for the team.

^You're probably correct in this analysis, though there's a little confusion over whether Rochat is a natural CB or LB. I thought the former as well, but I think the man himself stated the latter. Regardless, he's comfortable at CB.

I thought they would pursue a more cultured RB, but it seems they are happy with Leathers. Hard to argue in some ways, because he works his arse off. And he's actually done ok getting forward recently. I'd don't know too much about Harvey, but if Boxall continues to develop and DeMerit regains his health, it's possible he or Rochat could move to the right side to replace JL.

Grizzly, this is hardly a headline trade, Harvey remains a basic journeyman player who will add some depth and options to the VWFC defence - no matter how contemptuous you may be of the opinion expressed.

That was exactly my point. If you think putting together a good MLS team is all about headline trades then you have very little understanding of how to build a good team. This is a solid move that makes the team better. A few more moves like this will help the team more than a headline trade.

YNWA: He has played at CB for most of his career though I am not sure what his preference is. My understanding was that they moved him to LB because Boxall could cover the CB position much better than any of the candidates for LB.

IMO most of this league is made up of journeymen, some a little better than others depending on the circumstance (i.e. Nick Labrocca's performance at Chivas this year). As Grizzly suggests, Harvey may be a step in the right direction but as Richard also suggests you need a few more of this type of personnel move to keep building your squad. If a guy like this is signed by the Impact for next year it will help Montreal as well in MLS, but I'm sure there would be some supporters there dismissing it, too.

Disagree, a few more trades like this PLUS a couple of headline trades will revitalise the team and revive fan interest. Have you noticed VWFC have not been selling out Empire Field of late?

Do you go to games?

Cause the fan interest is still there, people are still lining up and showing excitement for this club. It's not the Home-Opener, but at the moment the crowd is the only thing that's worth paying to enjoy the product on the pitch will rise with moves like this. The weather getting nice is gonna do only good things for fans as well. Moving up in any increment is very good right now for the Caps.

I do agree that this isn't enough, but it's something that hopefully snowballs into a couple more guys like Harvey to sprinkle through the roster and line up our next DP and maybe a lesser marquee name. How about DeRo, he's being passed like a doobie.

Do I go to games? Try visiting www.bcsoccerweb.com Photo Gallery.

It was just a question, I don't take the attendance.

From someone who is regularly in the stands albeit the southside where it is always up tempo, I haven't seen a massive drop in fan out put. Maybe your perspective is different from the sidelines I would assume if you take pictures.

So, with Jarju added, New look best XI

-------------Cannon

Leathers-DeMerit-Rochat-Harvey

--------Koffie----Dunfield

DC-----------------------Camilo

-------------Jarju

----------------Hassli

Starting XI now

------------Cannon

Leathers-Boxall-Rochat-Harvey

---------Koffie----Dunfield

Salinas------------------Tiebert

---------------Camilo

-------------------Jarju

Whitecaps FC add Gambian striker Mustapha Jarju - BC Soccer Web

Vancouver Whitecaps FC announced today the signing of Gambian striker Mustapha Jarju as the club’s second Designated Player - pending his international transfer certificate.

• 2 weeks later...
I have not heard of Teibert being hurt, but it would make sense seeing he hasn't seen the pitch for sometime now.

Sohen seems to not favour him as much either. He has liked Salinas and Camilo out wide, and to be honest I do too. Though I'd much rather see Teibert coming on as a sub over Nizar everytime.

Tiebert has a lot more depth than Salinas. If he just gets a little more courageous and starts beating defenders one on one, he will be better than Salinas in every way.

Tiebert has a lot more depth than Salinas. If he just gets a little more courageous and starts beating defenders one on one, he will be better than Salinas in every way.

I tend to agree. Teibert's also the only player on the squad who can consistently deliver a decent corner. We only have on goal all season from corners, and that had more to do with a great effort from Rochat.

Salinas had a brief window where he was beating every left back 1v1, so I hailed him as great player, and he's been crap ever since (with the exception of last game against SJ). He's pacey and a decent dribbler, but he seems to have very little in the way of offensive instinct and is the worst crosser of the ball I've seen in some time.

Archived