Vancouver Whitecaps FC Roster Dance 2011

Neither of them are the first returning internationals I'd sign, but both of them deserve at least a chance.

It'll be interesting to see where Khalfan can fit in at the MLS level. An undersized wide player with no particular technical strengths but a trunkful of dynamite and occasional moments of inspiration. I've written this before but he basically reminds me of a young Ansu Toure, which isn't a bad thing but which also isn't an everyday player for a team that wants to win games.

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^Yeah, I'm not sure I would have signed Khalfan. I suspect he'll be taking developmental money and if he can contribute off the bench he's probably worth it. What troubles me is that they sort of traded for these spots -giving away proven MLSers who were at the same salary. Nyassi comes to mind, though I'll have to check the front of this thread to remind me what they got for him. An edit is forthcoming, I'm sure.

Neither of them are the first returning internationals I'd sign, but both of them deserve at least a chance.

It'll be interesting to see where Khalfan can fit in at the MLS level. An undersized wide player with no particular technical strengths but a trunkful of dynamite and occasional moments of inspiration. I've written this before but he basically reminds me of a young Ansu Toure, which isn't a bad thing but which also isn't an everyday player for a team that wants to win games.

Not all 30 guys can be Starting XI material anyways, it would be nice, but in a cap stricken league it's just not realistic.

Both players are young, so they could have upside and who knows maybe stiffer competetion makes them better players eventually. People will say you could use the INT spots better, oh well we got 2 extra one's for this season anyways.

Khalfan impressed me the most of the 2 but I think he may be a starter. Depends who else they bring in. To use up an international slot on shows the Caps feel he can grow and contribute. They seem to be signing them in pairs so the next 2 I'd say Stewart and Chiumiento or maybe they will alternate with domestic then international. By that logic Porter and Teibert would be up next.

PS. Yes they got an international spot for Nyassi. Trading him was the only big surprise I got in those first few draft days. I thought for sure they would hold on to him.

Maybe Vancouver wants to see Teibert at the U20 qualifiers before making a final decision

I sorta doubt they need to see any more of Russ to make a decision if they don't know yet on him he ain't coming, they watched him for a couple years now, a weekend of extra games shouldn't deter there views on him much.

Though what I've seen of him it would be just stupid not to have him come along for the ride to the MLS.

Plus update to Ewerthon, the team that was strongest on his tail seemingly looks like there interest could of taken a big hit as Newcastle has scooped up Shefki Kuqi on Free Transfer.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/878461/shefki-kuqi-%27coup%27-for-newcastle-as-striker-signs-on-free?cc=5901

Cody Arnoux has also been released from the PDL club, and is going in to an MLS weighted lottery. Didn't think much of him anyway.

So MLS finally make a decission on him. About time. A weighted lotto is fair. Probably the holder of his rights and the Caps getting the most weight. Didn't see anything special in his play at the D2 level. You never know how it will turn out but I'd rather have Stewart or REB on the field. At least Cody can get on with his pro life and get with a club and start some serious training with an MLS club. That must be a relief for him.

I was thinking of marking players on the OP who will be cap exempt, so I assume Salgado is GA, is Nanchoff?

As well, is there any other Homegrown's yet, besdes Davies and Khalfan? Knight possibly?

Nanchoff is GA. Homegrown is Davies. Others would be Tiebert, Porter and Sylvestre. Khalfan was signed from Tanzania, he's not homegrown as far as I know.

Nanchoff is GA. Homegrown is Davies. Others would be Tiebert, Porter and Sylvestre. Khalfan was signed from Tanzania, he's not homegrown as far as I know.

I'll find the article, but he did sign a "homegrown" contract. Not sure how, but this is what I read.

http://www.mls-rumors.net/14853/2011/02/incomingofficial-vancouver-whitecaps-fc-sign-midfielders-nizar-khalfan-and-gershon-koffie/

Vancouver Whitecaps FC announced today the signing of midfielders Nizar Khalfan and Gershon Koffie to the club’s Major League Soccer roster. Per club policy, terms of the contract were not disclosed. Khalfan and Koffie will account for the first two international roster spots to be used by the club, though Khalfan has signed as homegrown player, which means his contract will not count against the team’s salary cap.

didn't make sense to me, but then it;s the MLS and it wouldn't being doing itself justice if it didn't confuse. Joining the club in 2009 on discovery must make the cut for homegrown, but I also thought the rules changed that homegrown just means under 24 and cap exempt now, doesn't necessarily mean they are an academy product.

The definition of homegrown is that the player has spent one year in the team's Academy program (used to be two). A team can have up to 10 homegrown players on the "off-budget" roster, if they signed a 11th, one player would have to be released or moved to the "salary budget" roster.

The definition of homegrown is that the player has spent one year in the team's Academy program (used to be two). A team can have up to 10 homegrown players on the "off-budget" roster, if they signed a 11th, one player would have to be released or moved to the "salary budget" roster.

Thanks, so that would put Davies, Khalfan in that category with the 2 GA draft picks Salgado and Nanchoff, in camp Sylvestre, Porter, Teibert, and Stewart would fall into the jurisdiction as well.

That gives us basically 7 near guaranteed contracts off the books, not sure if we take Sylvestre or not. Leaves room later on for Residency graduates throughout he season if possible, not sure when Alderson turns 18 and would become eligible and worth looking at for promoting.

Predictions on opening day lineup seem to becoming easier to put together now.

-------------------Nolly

Leathers--Janicki--DeMerit--Rochat

-----------Dunfield---?????

Harris-------------------------Salinas

-------------------Chiumiento

---------------------?????

Add 2 DP's into those ?'s till then probably Thorrington paired with Dunfield and shift Salinas to the right Harris up top, and Stewart out wide left

Nizar never played a game with the academy. He played pro in Tanzania and then played for the Caps first team. Just more MLS bull. Probably some back room deal to do with Arnoux.

It's MLS Rumours, they don't know what the **** they're talking about half the time. He probably signed an "off budget"/development contract and they used the wrong wording. Regardless of the wording it's the same outcome/contract anyways.

Except that I thought HG players weren't limited to 40K per season? I believe the league stated that the HG players would be part of GA. I assume this then means that the cap exemption is limited to a 3-4 year period? If so, they should overhaul this rule to make the player cap exempt for life. This would be real incentive to build up a strong academy.

Except that I thought HG players weren't limited to 40K per season? I believe the league stated that the HG players would be part of GA. I assume this then means that the cap exemption is limited to a 3-4 year period? If so, they should overhaul this rule to make the player cap exempt for life. This would be real incentive to build up a strong academy.

Exactly and the Province has it listed as homegrown. and Jpg has it right, it's techincally not a "homegrown" contract, but it now falls under the same category.

So MLS Rumors had it Right Nizar's contract is OFF the books/

You can sign a HG player to a GA contract (you're only allowed a certain amount) but are not necessarily bound to do so.

Apparently Roberto Carlos has had it with Corinthians so ......

At 37 a bit old but one hell of a set play striker and you could always just tell him to "aim directly at the wall" just to strike fear into the hearts of opposition. Could come in handy for our games with Seattle, TFC :)

Archived