Vancouver Whitecaps FC Roster Dance 2011

2011 MLS Roster limits[1]

MLS Roster Limits: 30 Total; 20 Senior 10 Homegrown/Developmental (players 24 and younger)[2]

Domestic players: Unlimited (includes Americans and at least 3 Canadians)[3]

International Players: 10 maximum

(8 for all MLS teams, 2 obtained in Trades)[4][5]

MLS Roster[6] [28/30] Total spots used (18/20 Senior spots used, 10/10 Off Budget spots used)

Domestic [19/--] Domestic spots used

1. Philippe Davies (CAN)*

2. Russel Tiebert (CAN)*

3. Long Tan (CHN/USA)

4. Atiba Harris (SKN/USA)

5. Alain Rochat (SUI/CAN) - {Alternate Captain}

6. Jeb Brovsky (USA)*

7. Joe Cannon (USA)

8. Jay DeMerit (USA) - Captain

9. Bilal Duckett (USA)*

10. Jordan Harvey (USA)

11. Greg Janicki (USA)

12. Jonathan Leathers (USA)

13. Michael Nanchoff (USA)*

14. Jay Nolly (USA)

15. Omar Salgado (USA)*

16. Shea Salinas (USA)

17. Brian Sylvestre (USA)*

18. John Thorrington (USA) - {Alternate Captain}

19. Peter Vagenas (USA)

International [9/10] International spots used

20. Camilo (BRA)

21. Carlyle Mitchell (TRI)

22. Alexandre Morfaw (CMR)

23. Mustapha Jarju (GAM) - DP

24. Gershon Koffie (GHA)*

25. Eric Hassli (FRA) - DP

26. Michael Boxall (NZL)*

27. Davide Chiumiento (SUI)

28. Nizar Khalfan (TAN)*

DP - Designated Player (335k charged to Cap)[7]

* - Homegrown/Developmental

Transfers (as of 18/11/10)

In

November

Jay DeMerit [Watford FC, England]

Sanna Nyassi [seattle Sounders FC, USA]

Atiba Harris [FC Dallas, USA]

Nathan Sturgis [seattle Sounders FC, USA]

Shea Salinas [Philadelphia Union, USA]

Alan Gordon [Chivas USA, USA]

O'Brian White [Toronto FC, Canada]

Alejandro Moreno [Philadelphia Union, USA]

Joe Cannon [san Jose Earthquakes, USA]

Jonathon Leathers [sporting Kansas City, USA]

John Thorrington [Chicago Fire, USA]

Jay Nolly [Vancouver Whitecaps FC (D-2), Canada]

Philippe Davies [Vancouver Whitecaps FC (D-2), Canada]

Wes Knight [Vancouver Whitecaps FC (D-2), Canada]

December

Greg Janicki [Vancouver Whitecaps FC (D-2), Canada]

Terry Dunfield [Vancouver Whitecaps FC (D-2), Canada]

January

Omar Salgado [uS U-20 National Team, USA]

Michael Nanchoff [university of Akron, USA]

Alain Rochat [FC Zurich, Switzerland]

February

Gershon Koffie [Vancouver Whitecaps FC (D-2), Canada]

Nizar Khalfan [Vancouver Whitecaps FC (D-2), Canada]

March

Eric Hassli [FC Zurich, Switzerland]

Davide Chiumiento [FC Luzern, Switzerland]

Blake Wagner [Vancouver Whitecaps FC (D-2), Canada]

Long Tan [FC Tampa Bay, USA]

Brian Sylvestre [Vancouver Whitecaps FC (Residency), Canada]

Jeb Brovsky [university of Notre Dame, USA]

Bilal Duckett [university of Notre Dame, USA]

Camilo [Gyeongnam FC, South Korea]

Russell Teibert [Vancouver Whitecaps FC, (D-2), Canada]

Alexandre Morfaw [Vancouver Whitecaps FC, (D-2), Canada]

Michael Boxall [university of California, USA]

Kevin Harmse [Houston Dynamo, USA]

Mouloud Akloul [Vancouver Whitecaps FC, (D-2), Canada]

April

May

June

Peter Vagenas [Colorado Rapids, USA]

July

Jordan Harvey [Philadelphia Union, USA]

Mustapha Jarju [RAEC Mons, Belgium]

August

September

Carlyle Mitchell [Joe Public FC, T&T]

Out

November

Sanna Nyassi [Traded to Colorado Rapids, USA]

Nathan Sturgis [Traded to Toronto FC, Canada]

O'Brian White [Traded to Seattle Sounders FC, USA]

Alan Gordon [Traded to Chivas USA, USA]

Alejandro Moreno [Traded to Chivas USA, USA]

December

January

February

March

April

May

June

Kevin Harmse [Waived]

July

Terry Dunfield [Traded to Toronto FC, Canada]

Blake Wagner [Waived]

Mouloud Akoul [Waived]

August

Wes Knight [Waived]

September

-------------------------------------

Refrences

[1] - http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showpost.php?p=22559777&postcount=2

[2] - http://communities.canada.com/theprovince/blogs/backofthenet/archive/2010/11/16/mls-reserve-league-is-back-rosters-expand-to-30.aspx

[3] - http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2011/01/28/sp-mls-canada.html

[4] - http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/vancouver-trade-sanna-nyassi-colorado

[5] - http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/gordon-moreno-shipped-chivas-vancouver

[6] - http://whitecapsfc.com/players

[7] - http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/soundersfcblog/2011498898_major_league_soccer_adds_secon.html#continue

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A couple of minor corrections

2011 Roster limits

Roster Limits: 20 Senior 10 Developmental

According to this article it says the roster is expanding to 30 with 4 spots reserved for players age 24 or younger.

Roster

International

12. Atiba Harris (SKN)

According to this tweet by Marc Weber of The Province, Atiba Harris will count as a domestic(American) player.

A couple of minor corrections

According to this article it says the roster is expanding to 30 with 4 spots reserved for players age 24 or younger.

According to this tweet by Marc Weber of The Province, Atiba Harris will count as a domestic(American) player.

thanks, and I was looking around for the Harris stuff, I was pretty sure he was domestic as well, but I'm still fighting the Twitter epidemic, I gave in to Facebook, so I'm sure I'll end up giving into this tweeting stuff.

"According to this article it says the roster is expanding to 30 with 4 spots reserved for players age 24 or younger."

There is a missing word in the article it should be, the additional 4 spots will be designated for players 24 and under.

Last year the rosters limits were 26, 20 senior 4 developmental and 2 academy. The Academy spots have now been lumped into the developmental 4+2+4 =10. All 10 now could be Academy graduates.

There is a missing word in the article it should be, the additional 4 spots will be designated for players 24 and under.

Last year the rosters limits were 26, 20 senior 4 developmental and 2 academy. The Academy spots have now been lumped into the developmental 4+2+4 =10. All 10 now could be Academy graduates.

i just wish it was clearer, if you go to the MLS website for roster rules you'll find the rules from 2009 and there's a note that the 2010 rules aren't finalized yet.

On this post Steve Goff of the Washington Post says that the final six spots are for 24 and under which makes it seem like that there is 24 players on the senior roster.

^ I agree, last year MLS announced that the Homegrown (Academy) limit would be increased from 2 to 4 for 2011, the Goff article is dated 16 Nov, since then MLS has eliminated the limit on homegrown and lumped everything into the developmental category. So Goff was talking 20 Senior 6 developmental and 4 homegrown.

Getting a fix on MLS rules/roster limits is never easy. Most soccer writers get it wrong. And as far as the website goes we will probably be lucky if the 2011 competitionrules are up by July. And good luck with the rosters on the websites, TFC's is always out of date and has incorrect information on player's designations. MLSsoccer.com has a lot of room for improvement.

I can't see the league adding 4 slots to the senior roster and only adding $120K in salary cap space, that doesn't even cover the minimum salary for 4 players. As the John Molinaro article i posted on the TFC roster thread indicates it'll be 20/10 with the 6 new/extra spots being deveopment spots.

MM2 i'm not even sure that's the interpretation either. Most league sources don't even bother counting the 2 homegrown spots from last year so it's really 20 + 4 + 6 new spots this year. My interpretation of Garbers' quote is the 6 final spots he refers to are the new or extra spots compared to last year.

I can't see the league adding 4 slots to the senior roster and only adding $120K in salary cap space, that doesn't even cover the minimum salary for 4 players. As the John Molinaro article i posted on the TFC roster thread indicates it'll be 20/10 with the 6 new/extra spots being deveopment spots.

MM2 i'm not even sure that's the interpretation either. Most league sources don't even bother counting the 2 homegrown spots from last year so it's really 20 + 4 + 6 new spots this year. My interpretation of Garbers' quote is the 6 final spots he refers to are the new or extra spots compared to last year.

yeah, plus the new 6 I here are cap exempt, form what I understand which then explains the 120k raise of the cap.

Plenty more signings to come, they've only signed eleven or so players as of now.

Definitely, still a few more D2 guy to retain I would think; Akoul, Gage, Khalfan, Chuimiento and Stewart, probably close to locks I would think. I also think Wagner, and Porter also might have one foot in the door. Plus Gashi, Tiebert, Mobulu and the rest of the young kids might be able to slip onto the development side of the roster that is cap exempt from what I understand, Alderson another kid who might make that list as well with the strides he's taking this season.

Rochat makes it 12 players on the roster on Janurary 1st. A lot of room to add players still fun times ahead, I just love speculating, but your probably right that some signings may be basically done, just waiting some final ink, and dragging out some suspense for us.

A DP striker to look at for VWFC should be Mido whos on loan at Ajax from Middlesbrough. He could be a perfect target man, guys big, strong and can hold up the ball.

So what the hell is the holdup with signing Gage? Let's dream! A European team is coming in for him out of Germany or Holland perhaps!?

Gage most likely will not be back. He was not offered a contract. He has been invited to trial with the team when training camp starts in January, but has not been promised anything else.

Gage most likely will not be back. He was not offered a contract. He has been invited to trial with the team when training camp starts in January, but has not been promised anything else.

That says a lot about the Canadian youth system when your "U-20 player of the year" is potentially unattached.

The U-17s looks better though.

• 4 weeks later...

Hopefully with the draft soon to be out of the way, that some of the players in limbo 'at camp' get inked to some deals, would be sweet to hear that Rochat is witht he team soon, and guys like Chuimiento and Gashi have been locked up. Plus I would like Khaflan, Porter, Stewart, Akoul and Wagner get offers there way as well.

That would put us up over 20 players, including the Draft Picks, so that would still give us room to add some star power, like a Savage or whatever they can find out there.

^Wow, they slide that in nicely. So, reading between the lines - Salgado and Nanchoff have spots and Brovsky and Duckett will need to prove their worth. So including roster players (13) and in camp players (17) they have 30. Chuimiento, Rochat must have spots. So each signing from here on means someone goes. Eight players in camp would be considered "non-domestics" and they have 9 available spots. So two internationals means one would have to go. Expect at least 2 more players tomorrow and there is officially "competition" for spots. Also in the equation; 15 players who would be eligible for the 6 "development" spots. I would venture to guess that Wagner is the first Domestic to go and Morfaw the first International out the door.

Edit - Tan will go before Morfaw if we get a striker.

^Wow, they slide that in nicely. So, reading between the lines - Salgado and Nanchoff have spots and Brovsky and Duckett will need to prove their worth. So including roster players (13) and in camp players (17) they have 30. Chuimiento, Rochat must have spots. So each signing from here on means someone goes. Eight players in camp would be considered "non-domestics" and they have 9 available spots. So two internationals means one would have to go. Expect at least 2 more players tomorrow and there is officially "competition" for spots. Also in the equation; 15 players who would be eligible for the 6 "development" spots. I would venture to guess that Wagner is the first Domestic to go and Morfaw the first International out the door.

Edit - Tan will go before Morfaw if we get a striker.

Agreed.

I'm happy Brovsky and Duckett weren't handed spots either, we saw what late rounders can turn out like (Nane Joseph anyone?)

Some corrections though, there is now 10 development spots, from what I've read. I think it's 16 players eligible for development status, as it's now basically any player under 24 years of age. Which would put it at anyone born in 88' and on, possibly 87' which would put Morfaw in contention of one too.

So basically the only changes from last year is you can add as many homegrown as you want instead of 2, they added 4 for spots to the roster, and made 10 of them cap exempt that only players under 24 are eligible to fall under, and 200k to the Cap. So instead of 20 Senior 4 Development 2 Academy, you have 20 Senior/Capped, 10 Developmental/Uncapped. Cap went from 2.1 million - 2.3 million.

http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1632417

Eight players in camp would be considered "non-domestics" and they have 9 available spots.

Correct me if i'm wrong but I think each team starts with 8 international spots and we traded for 2( 1 from Chivas and 1 from Seattle) so I think we have 10 in total.

Archived