Vancouver Whitecaps FC Roster Dance 2011

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pass, him and Ronaldo are done, Corinthans more or less has enough of them, not the other way around.

He has signed with FC Anzhi Makhachkala of the RPL, anyways

Yea my suggestion was pretty much tongue firmly in cheek. Given his age the Caps will sign 2 young players who's combined ages might not even equal that. But in his prime damn was Roberto Carlos a true highlight reel of firepower with the outside of that left foot.

Yea my suggestion was pretty much tongue firmly in cheek. Given his age the Caps will sign 2 young players who's combined ages might not even equal that. But in his prime damn was Roberto Carlos a true highlight reel of firepower with the outside of that left foot.

oh for sure, he was the definition of Left Wingback.

Weber has been reporting that is was a homegown deal as well.
Yep, Weber says it's a homegrown deal less than $42k. Apparently, the original deal Khalfan signed was a PDL contract, so even though he never played a minute of residency or academy ball and even though he was playing top level professional soccer in Africa AND even though he had played in WCQ for his nation... He is a homegrown player. Obviously, the Caps have done their research and found every loophole. I think it's great because it benefits the Caps, but really it's a joke.

But every players born after '86 is eligible for the developmental roster this year. Khalfan would be off the books regardless. I'm not sure why we're patting the club on the back unless they were able to bring in a big name player on a PDL contract who would command more than $42k. Otherwise, it's a non-issue.

The only thing it saves on is using a discovery claim, which could be used on another player. But as an expansion club you have like 20 of those anyways so you're right, it's not really much in terms of being "crafty".

But every players born after '86 is eligible for the developmental roster this year. Khalfan would be off the books regardless. I'm not sure why we're patting the club on the back unless they were able to bring in a big name player on a PDL contract who would command more than $42k. Otherwise, it's a non-issue.

not all 24 and unders will he cap exempt only the 10 you designate for it, so it may be a matter off slipping bigger contracts into the 10 free spots, and tying to bring out bare miniumum contracts to guys like Koffie and have cap exposed.

^True, but not my point. The Whitecaps are being described by some as shrewed capologists because they made a player HG who would have qualified for a developmental spot regardless. Unless there's something I'm missing -like he can count as domestic now- it's a non-event.

well said, it's very much a non-event, though some nice contract handling by Soehn

well said, it's very much a non-event, though some nice contract handling by Soehn
It's a non-event for sure and really more MLS BS rule than anything. Porter who is really a Homegrown is going to be released, so basically Homegrown is BS...all the young players that Caps played last year signed PDL contracts, so yeah they took advantage of a BS rule. Weber said the 21-30 "off the book spots" are all 32-42 K except the GA players. So, the only advantage is you get a higher quality player in the 21-30 spot who may never see a minute of MLS action. The disadvantage is we have a Canadian Player on the Olympic roster who will be without contract tomorrow - though if he ends up somewhere where he gets first team minutes like Edmonton/Montreal that will be an advantage. It's a BS rule. But it does allow the club the flexibility to have some players who end up in the 18 to be in those 21-30 roster spots allowing you to sign a more significant younger player who will be more of a project and not immediate to a 18 spot. Such as Conor Doyle who has been linked to the club for the June window, most likely he will be paid more than the $42k but there will be no pressure to through him in the game day roster. Anyway, the bottom line is the intent of the homegrown rule is a bit misleading. It should be called the "scouted player rule" or something to that affect.

Hey Slamo, what makes you think Porter will get released? I haven't heard anything and thought he was a decent player for his age. Spill the beans dude, spill :)

Thats what I was thinking too, but figured he was just assuming and venting his frustration. Slamo seems pretty firm on not accepting the fact we are simply at the mercy of the MLS, and thats just the way it is. They rules don't always make sense or seem really fair, but is it less fair than allowing people to buy the clubs not for the success of the club but for a tax break, so the can live in exile in the bahamas or some stuff, and just pour ridiculus amounts of money into the team where you have such desparity between the clubs in the same league.

Hey Slamo, what makes you think Porter will get released? I haven't heard anything and thought he was a decent player for his age. Spill the beans dude, spill :)

Marc Weber of The Province is reporting that Porter was not at practice yesterday, and speculating that he is about to be released. I assume that's where Slamo is picking it up from.

http://communities.canada.com/theprovince/blogs/backofthenet/archive/2011/02/15/porter-not-at-practice.aspx

Edit: Weber is now reporting that Porter is "weighing his options" against signing a MLS entry level contract.

http://communities.canada.com/theprovince/blogs/backofthenet/archive/2011/02/15/porter-weighing-his-options.aspx

Marc Weber of The Province is reporting that Porter was not at practice yesterday, and speculating that he is about to be released. I assume that's where Slamo is picking it up from.

http://communities.canada.com/theprovince/blogs/backofthenet/archive/2011/02/15/porter-not-at-practice.aspx

Edit: Weber is now reporting that Porter is "weighing his options" against signing a MLS entry level contract.

http://communities.canada.com/theprovince/blogs/backofthenet/archive/2011/02/15/porter-weighing-his-options.aspx

Yeah, just like the speculation before Gage went on to pursue GREENER pastures, there was speculation he was gonna be released and without a club.

Porter will be off to Germany maybe elsewhere in Europe or a Whitecap.

I love how people complain that Vancouver doesn't employ enough Canadian's and that we don't wanna build the National team exporsure, yet we clearly have the best youth academy that has the most youngsters going off to Europe, like Gage, Straith, Haber, and possibly now Porter. It's not that we don't want to keep Canadians in the fold, it's that they out grow our club because we develop them and let them move on to develop further.

Yeah, just like the speculation before Gage went on to pursue GREENER pastures, there was speculation he was gonna be released and without a club.

Porter will be off to Germany maybe elsewhere in Europe or a Whitecap.

I love how people complain that Vancouver doesn't employ enough Canadian's and that we don't wanna build the National team exporsure, yet we clearly have the best youth academy that has the most youngsters going off to Europe, like Gage, Straith, Haber, and possibly now Porter. It's not that we don't want to keep Canadians in the fold, it's that they out grow our club because we develop them and let them move on to develop further.

A lot of the players in the Caps res program will take a shot at Europe and why not? They are young and even if it doesn't work out they will not live their lives regretting not trying. We will probably lose the best just like Europe loses their best hockey and basketball players. Maybe when the salary cap is comparable to the J-League we will be able to compete but not for now.

In the end it is smart of the Caps not to stand in the way of players dreams. They say great things about the Caps program and other young players (and their parents) give it serious look. We all know of the high profile Ontario and Quebec players who have come west. More to follow to be sure.

And yes MLS rules make me want to vent as well but I just gave up trying to understand them and had a beer :)

So no Porter eh? Thats too bad I was really looking forward to seeing him play but if the caps would rather go with a veteran up top I think he's better off leaving. Finland would be a good place to start, its been good to our boys the last couple years and the level is one where he could probably start.

It goes to league integrity. Has nothing to do with the club. Div 2 had firmer established rules. There are plenty of smaller leagues around the Globe who have grown and developed a firm structure. MLS should just not have rules. I think it's great that the club seems to have the FO to find the loopholes and tricks to take advantage of things. But having imaginary rules that pretty much every soccer writer on the continent makes fun of is not a great model to build on. The rules should be obvious and clear. Khalfan as a homegrown shows what a joke the league rules are. I don't care in the sense that once the teams are on the pitch it's game on, but having been through the NASL I care in the sense that the league should have integrity. If I was Garber and the Caps wanted to claim Khalfan as a homegrown I would've called bull****. Just my opinion.

http://www.leaderpost.com/sports/Impact+make+play+Whitecap/4293263/story.html

The Impact have apparently offered him more than what he is eligible to earn on the Caps development roster

Brilliant. Good on L'Impact!! Hopefully they sign him to an Academy deal and put a homegrown claim on him, that would be clever. They could make a deal like the Caps did last year with a couple of players, overpay him this year with a backroom deal to give him the development slot next year. Sort of a 3 year $120K deal. $60 k this year and $30 and $30 in 12/13. The other option is the Caps could counter with a PDL deal that pays more. Tell him he'll get NCC/CCL and reserve games then he won't have to go through an "Arnoux situation". This is where the MLS rules are crap. I believe Kyle was 16 when he signed here. They should be promoting the academy system and based on the BS rules that doesn't happen.

I hope the best for Kyle cause from what I have seen he has a lot of skill - needs to develop a bit more ****-kickin attitude, but the skill is there. He shouldn't be punished for being a "true" homegrown.

I am glad the Impact have joined the Caps in their aggressive approach to joining MLS. They will do well in the league.

He would certainly be the first Impact that I would find impossible to dislike.

Good news for Canada! Exactly what I was hoping would happen, now if maybe Edmonton can pick up someone... Randy Edwini Bonsu?

It's important to have these U23 players playing first team football.

Yes, REB I am really hoping ends up in Edmonton. He is the opposite of Porter. He looks totally lost playing in a structured system. He needs to have an opportunity to play in a free flow offense. Just let him run at people. Not sure he will ever be a good national team player as generally speaking a national team needs to have structure to allow for all of the interchangeable parts. He's still young though you never know. But at this stage I would put Porter well ahead of REB as far as advancement goes.

***sorry don't mean to hijack the thread. Just don't want to see another group of promising Canadian players end up not developing because of bogus rules or being dumped off the map.

Even if the Impact play him for a year the Caps will still have his MLS rights so it would be more of a loan deal. That would be a win all around type arrangement. Porter gets more $$, Montreal gets a good player for their last year in D2 and the Caps get to have future options.

It will be interesting to see what happens with the MLS reserve league and the NASL. I agree getting REB more time is important but he is not big and I think the Caps are worried about him getting injured.

Even if the Impact play him for a year the Caps will still have his MLS rights so it would be more of a loan deal. That would be a win all around type arrangement. Porter gets more $$, Montreal gets a good player for their last year in D2 and the Caps get to have future options.

Not necessarily, there might be a conflict that will need to be arbitrated. The Impact would have had him signed for 2011 and under the same rules Vancouver and Portland were allowed to bring their players from the USL squad with them to MLS the Impact will likely be able to do the same. Of course Vancouver will argue he's a homegrown product and should be theirs under MLS rules. And then Montreal would counter that Porter was in the Caps Academy while they were in USL and never signed in MLS so shouldn't be held to MLS regulations...so it'll likely be a big mess if it ever comes to that.

The Impact would have had him signed for 2011 and under the same rules Vancouver and Portland were allowed to bring their players from the USL squad with them to MLS the Impact will likely be able to do the same.

Players like Cody Arnoux!

MLS's rules are strange, malleable things according to the whims of their front office, and their whims usually err on the side of restricting player movement.

Archived