Vancouver Whitecaps FC Roster Dance 2011

^I'm not sure that's true, sadly. Many Caps fans I've heard discuss the issue seem relatively indifferent to his history and Lenarduzzi seems to have a boner for him. And he plays a position that we need. I just don't understand how anyone could think he would stay healthy for more than a day under the best conditions, much less on the turf. Personally, I'd rather throw a bunch of allocation and draft picks at RSL and see if we could get Wil Johnson; unfortunately the FO here doesn't care much about repatriating MNT players which, arguably, might be a good strategy given the MLS treatment of the international calendar. I'd expect Dani Fernandes will be tending goal long before we see OH here. :)

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply
^I'm not sure that's true, sadly. Many Caps fans I've heard discuss the issue seem relatively indifferent to his history

That.

When the NASL Whitecaps signed much-hated San Diego striker Ade Coker in the eighties, I expected a huge fan backlash, but I was about the only one who booed him. When the CSL 86ers signed their first American player, I expected a fan backlash, but again I seemed to be nearly alone in my fanatic extremism.

Hardcore fans always overestimate how widespread their viewpoint is. The truth though is that you see the game unlike anyone else. And that's what makes you special. :)

In the end it is professional sport, and these things happen. ....heck, Deco, Fernandes, Zidane etc etc....

Whitecaps would receive my support, ********** would receive courtesy support (ie, clapping if good play) and would get no moment of relief for his "traitorous" decisions otherwise.

REB released by the Caps.

http://www.whitecapsfc.com/news/2011/03/whitecaps-fc-release-striker-randy-edwini-bonsu

Sad to see him go. He showed his ability to learn and made some nice plays (pass to Gbeke) when I was screaming shoot at the TV. I thought he would make it. The small very quick players tend to be injury prone. Hopefully he will avoid that and get some tryouts in Europe.

I think this could be another case similar to Ethan Gage. He has something lined up for tryouts and couldn't reach terms with Vancouver so when the contract was up he didn't re-sign.

Vagenas on trial (sounds like a Broadway play) and rumours out of the Ukraine saying Shevchenko is on his way. The latter doesn't seem right to me. Maybe to TFC though.

The Vagenas Monologues?

The team looks to be running out of healthy midfielders and Vagenas is a decent, albeit journeyman, linking type of mid who can move the ball around. I remember when he and Harmse playing as a double holding mid combo for Yallop and the Galaxy vs Pachuca in the CCL final a few years back.

^One more. Weber indicated that TT wants to sign Vagenas. That would bring us to 30. With 22 domestics. We have the 2 additional international spots, so I guess two players get cut when the transfer window opens again -assuming they find suitable replacements abroad.

Which means that a Senior spot has to be open, which i was under the impression we only had a Off Budget Homegrown/Development spot left, which begs the question who's the 10th Dev contract, I had my count at 9 official I can't find any confirmation on the 10th guy but the rules basically cut it down to these players.

Confirmed DEV Contracts - Davies, Khaflan, Salgado, Tiebert, Boxall, Duckett, Brovsky, Sylvestre - That's 9 guys.

Potenital DEV Eligibility - Morfaw, Koffie, Tan, Camilo, Wagner (My personal guess is Long Tan, but I have no real evidence for it though.)

Anyone got the answer to who is the 10th guy who slipped into that under 24 category and is off budget, which would give us room to add Vagenas, cause if not we have 20 senior guys signed and there would be no room for him.

EDIT - It could be Wagner, he was a GA player when he was with FC Dallas, and is still only 23, he might just be on a DEV contract.

The Vagenas Monologues?

The team looks to be running out of healthy midfielders and Vagenas is a decent, albeit journeyman, linking type of mid who can move the ball around. I remember when he and Harmse playing as a double holding mid combo for Yallop and the Galaxy vs Pachuca in the CCL final a few years back.

Rumour is Vagenas is going to sign with Inter Regina.

Which means that a Senior spot has to be open, which i was under the impression we only had a Off Budget Homegrown/Development spot left, which begs the question who's the 10th Dev contract, I had my count at 9 official I can't find any confirmation on the 10th guy but the rules basically cut it down to these players.

Confirmed DEV Contracts - Davies, Khaflan, Salgado, Tiebert, Boxall, Duckett, Brovsky, Sylvestre - That's 9 guys.

Potenital DEV Eligibility - Morfaw, Koffie, Tan, Camilo, Wagner (My personal guess is Long Tan, but I have no real evidence for it though.)

Anyone got the answer to who is the 10th guy who slipped into that under 24 category and is off budget, which would give us room to add Vagenas, cause if not we have 20 senior guys signed and there would be no room for him.

EDIT - It could be Wagner, he was a GA player when he was with FC Dallas, and is still only 23, he might just be on a DEV contract.

It's Koffie.

I am really leaning towards Tom Sohen and The Duze to trade one of the INT spots for Allocation to secure Shevchenko. You can't judge Andriy on his Chelsea time, The Premiership is not for everyone, and the MLS is a league he could have an immediate impact on.

He is a clinical finisher, and at the MLS level could tear it up with a guy like Hassli holding the play up and Chiumiento creative wide play. It would also allow for Harris to play more as Chiumiento's wide counterpart, which would just open up so many options for TT.

It would be nice to get another striker, that TT can rely on regardless of who he is, as I would love to see us be able to employ Harris out wide, so that you could have him and Hassli up front. Salgado is too young to rely on and hope to enter the playoffs.

Peter Vagenas

Pronunciation: Va-yeah-NOSS

Position: Midfielder

Height: 5-08

Weight: 157

I love how the Caps felt obliged to put a pronunciation in the release :)

Maybe someone should do that for the announcers who kept calling Gerba instead of Zerba like he pronounces it last night.

Peter Vagenas

Pronunciation: Va-yeah-NOSS

Position: Midfielder

Height: 5-08

Weight: 157

I love how the Caps felt obliged to put a pronunciation in the release :)

Maybe someone should do that for the announcers who kept calling Gerba instead of Zerba like he pronounces it last night.

I actually listened to part of the game on radio and they were pronouncing it Zherba. Maybe it's just Dobson who's a tool and can't be bothered to figure it out.

Archived