Montreal Impact - Santos Laguna [R]

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is what cup tournaments are all about, the underdog or giant killer coming through! Who would have thought this could happen when the V's Cup got under way? It's going to be tough to keep this lead in Mexico but I'm not going to doubt the Impact at this point!

quote:Originally posted by ag futbol

Oh, Joqueviel has huge balls for dribbling that one play out of the back. That was Puyol esque!

If he kicks it he could have a bad bounce and cause problems. He made and executed the correct play while his coach was having a kitten!

A 2-0 win in front of 55k. How sweet is that? [8D]

Eddie does what he always seems to do, find a way to put the ball in the back of the net. Jordan does what he always seems to do, keep it out!

Well done Impact. All the way to the Club World Cup!

quote:Originally posted by Lord Bob

Golden age of Canadian soccer, maybe, but Montreal's best players today were a Cuban, an American, and a Frenchman, so let's not get too carried away... :)

I thought Grande was the best guy out there. Sebrango is also Canadian in my books, though I'm willing to let that one slide.

quote:Originally posted by Lord Bob

Golden age of Canadian soccer, maybe, but Montreal's best players today were a Cuban, an American, and a Frenchman, so let's not get too carried away... :)

Yeah, yeah. Agreed. But don't go spoiling it now.

A good number of Canadians stood up today though and have nothing to be ashamed of.

Them and their 55,000 ticket buying friends. Zing...

quote:Originally posted by jonovision

I thought Grande was the best guy out there. Sebrango is also Canadian in my books, though I'm willing to let that one slide.

Grande was the best player on the pitch. What a player honestly. He can defend and every time he touched the ball he made a productive play going forward. Put one right on Sebrango's head for what maybe should have been a goal.

quote:Originally posted by tmcmurph

If he kicks it he could have a bad bounce and cause problems. He made and executed the correct play while his coach was having a kitten!

A 2-0 win in front of 55k. How sweet is that? [8D]

Eddie does what he always seems to do, find a way to put the ball in the back of the net. Jordan does what he always seems to do, keep it out!

Well done Impact. All the way to the Club World Cup!

Who gives a crap about this UEFA Champions League eh.. :D

quote:Originally posted by Tyson M

Wow! Congrats to Montreal and the Impact!!!

I'm up for the drive to Mtl next round if they don't royally blow it in the second leg!

I'll deffo be going up on the train. This is awesome. The second goal sets them up very well for the return leg.

If they blow it, I will cryyyy.

Oh!

Should also mention that at 55K, even after a $250K rental expense the Impact might be closing in on a $500K profit from this fixture. Even under modest projections. How sweet is that for a USL 1st Division side?

Drop a $50K for the return leg, hope for no worse than a 1-nil loss and keep counting the dollars. Keep counting the dollars.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

I enjoy any victories by any Canadian team over any Mexican one. Well done! The Impact looked really rusty despite the win, making Santos' performance all the more embarrassing.

I think you are partly right. Some of the more technical parts of their game looked a bit rusty (finishing, for instance), but it was clear that Limniatis coached the heck out of them before hand.

Speaking of technical stuff, did anybody see Braz nutmeg a dude? The French announcers nearly busted a nut laughing about that. The mind boggles!

CSA are you out there, hire Limiantis now, what are you waiting for. This guy knows what it takes to win. It will take our pro teams like the Impact, TFC and the Whitecaps to bring change to the CSA. Why didn't the CSA let the Impact organize the Honduras/Canada game last year maybe if the Impact had organized the game there would have been more Canadian support.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

I enjoy any victories by any Canadian team over any Mexican one. Well done! The Impact looked really rusty despite the win, making Santos' performance all the more embarrassing.

Exactly! In a week, with more training and a competitive match under their belt, they might do even better against a Santos team in mid-season form.

Archived