Montreal Impact - Santos Laguna [R]

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by devioustrevor

Dammit, after watching tonights game if the CMNT can find room for Martin Nash on the roster they damn well better figure out how to find room for Sandro Grande. Every freaking pass he made found a man wide open, nobody can tell me that couldn't help the our lads.

I've been saying it for a long time. This man can play. He is exactly the type of player that we do not produce enough of in this country. He was the best player in qualifying back in 2004 and has never really had a poor performance for the nats. The USL argument doesn't hold water anymore. This man should always be in the mix.

A couple more thoughts:

-Jocquivielle was a beast! Reminded me of Cannavaro at WC2006.

-Impact were fortunate it was an American ref. They need to be careful not to dive in too much during the return leg.

-My oh my, are the Whitecaps going to miss Sebrango!!

-I found the wing play of Placentino and Gjertsen a little disappointed. Both players were speedy strikers that have been moved out wide and I am worried that they get caught up field a little too much.

-I think they will need to start a more defensive CM in Mexico.

-The crowd was awesome. So happy for the UM02!! How many of you are going to Mexico? I expect daily updating posts with pictures on the forum.

Congrats to everyone in Montreal. A great result and a great performance.

l'Impact were clearly a little sluggish, but they did what they had to do to get a result.

I think I'm still giddy, but there's a lot of work left to do.

I'm gonna be humming la Dale Cavese for days.

cheers,

matthew

quote:Originally posted by ag futbol

I stand corrected:

Sebrango said later that a Santos Laguna player actually was responsible for the ball going into his own net, but he was officially credited with the goal.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/Sports/Impact+sends+fans+home+happy/1329159/story.html

That was the impression I had at the time as well but I thought I must have been seeing things because Reed & De Vos said nothing about it!

quote:Originally posted by masster

A couple more thoughts:

-Jocquivielle was a beast! Reminded me of Cannavaro at WC2006.

-Impact were fortunate it was an American ref. They need to be careful not to dive in too much during the return leg.

-My oh my, are the Whitecaps going to miss Sebrango!!

-I found the wing play of Placentino and Gjertsen a little disappointed. Both players were speedy strikers that have been moved out wide and I am worried that they get caught up field a little too much.

-The crowd was awesome. So happy for the UM02!! How many of you are going to Mexico? I expect daily updating posts with pictures on the forum.

Agreed. from what what I saw of DeRoux last night and what Donatelli did last season, I'd start them at the wings, they seem more natural there. Placentino was lost last night and Gjertsen is best supporting a lone striker.

quote:Originally posted by Alex

Anybody see the first goal?? I think it was the SL defender that put it in not sebrango. Somebody pointed that out earlier

I watched the replay on youtube and the SL player hits the ball first but I can't tell if Eddie hit the bottom of his foot or ball. I'm thinking own goal. Eddie leads a charmed life. Good things always happen when he is around the ball. We will miss him on the Caps for sure.

The second one was just sheer Eddie out hustling the defense. Not to shabby for an 35 year old ;)

WOW

Was at the game. I still get shivers and its thursday morning!

Lost my voice. Greatest sport experience I've experienced.

55,571 - In you face to anyone thinking MTL could not attract much people.

Oh and where were the santos fans???? No chants and nowhere!

BOOYAAAA to anyone that beleived it would be 40,000 mexican fans!!!

quote:Originally posted by masster

I think they'll start the same XI in Mexico. They need to go for the kill: one goal and Santos needs to score 4!

4 people are making the trip: 3 UMs and Trillium

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

I think they'll start the same XI in Mexico. They need to go for the kill: one goal and Santos needs to score 4!

4 people are making the trip: 3 UMs and Trillium

Hopefully just Donatelli instead of Placentino. Have fun!

Just got up... ooooh boy it's a wicked hangover.

That was fantastic last night, absolutely fantastic. Everything went as it needed to. Cheers to all the UM02 I met last night, you guys had things set up perfectly. Shout out to RyanGHG (is that it?), get some posts in! How did I manage to not get covered in beer? Time to head to old Montreal.

ALLEZ L'IMPACT!

quote:Originally posted by Kurosawa

THe UM02 ordered a new scarf two weeks before the game, we had 100 of them and we had only 4 left after the game, as of today we are officially sold out.

We are working on a new one and on a new t-shirt also (let's hope we will get it for the semi final if there is one.

I hope you guys made some money. It looks like you have been pouring lots of cash into your tifo. Good on you!

I noticed last night that the Impact had set up where the Expos Boutique used to be. Man, they must have made a killing in there cause I saw lots of people with stuffed Impact bags. Another round and 50,000 fans again and if the Impact aren't already the financial equivalent of the NY Yankees of USL-1, they'll be the Boston Red Sox as well.

Archived