Vancouver Whitecaps - 2024 Season Thread

Big_M

24 minutes ago, RJB said:

I think that esports are fun... but you can't call him an athlete.

At first, I got a kick out of this story because it seemed like the club didn't have enough for him to do in his riole, but esports are a growing facet and having a former player learning the craft of management by being directly involved via competing is beneficial both to him as well as the club.

Also, he's not going to tell an opponent to top himself, like a previous Whitecaps gamer got fired for in 2021.

The 2023 CPL Best XI was just published. Four players of interest for the Whitecaps IMO would be:

Tristan Henry - Back up keeper

Manny Aparicio - replacement for Teibert with better offensive ability

Dan Nimick - to develop into a starting CB

Ali Musse - more or less like for like replacement for Hoilett

Very good depth if not starting level.

I see for Single Match tix the Caps are just doing a waiting list, so I suspect they'll be able to gauge the interest for the Inter Miami game quite quickly. in normal circumstances, with Messi playing and on form, healthy, BC Place sells out.

But they are making season ticket sales, how many might opt for the whole pack thinking they'll get Inter as part of it?

The risk of this latter is selling season tix to fans who are not really interested, or much less so when it's not Inter. So you end up with empty seats or resales.

30 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I see for Single Match tix the Caps are just doing a waiting list, so I suspect they'll be able to gauge the interest for the Inter Miami game quite quickly. in normal circumstances, with Messi playing and on form, healthy, BC Place sells out.

But they are making season ticket sales, how many might opt for the whole pack thinking they'll get Inter as part of it?

The risk of this latter is selling season tix to fans who are not really interested, or much less so when it's not Inter. So you end up with empty seats or resales.

If Messi will even play on turf . . .  🤔

5 minutes ago, Stoppage Time said:

If Messi will even play on turf . . .  🤔

From Messi's opening MLS presser:

"At Messi’s introductory media conference after joining Inter Miami, the 36-year-old explained that his “youth was spent on artificial turf, my whole life was on that pitch,” though when he moved to Europe and Barcelona he would play on grass.

Truth is it’s been a while since I’ve played on artificial turf, but I have no problem adapting myself again,” said Messi."

https://www.cnn.com/2023/09/16/sport/lionel-messi-artificial-turf-inter-miami-mls-spt-intl/index.html

Edited by Mihairokov

13 hours ago, Mihairokov said:

"At Messi’s introductory media conference after joining Inter Miami, the 36-year-old explained that his “youth was spent on artificial turf, my whole life was on that pitch,” though when he moved to Europe and Barcelona he would play on grass.

Truth is it’s been a while since I’ve played on artificial turf, but I have no problem adapting myself again,” said Messi."

https://www.cnn.com/2023/09/16/sport/lionel-messi-artificial-turf-inter-miami-mls-spt-intl/index.html

In my experience, playing on turf as a flexible kid is very different to playing on turf at 30+.

There a few big South American teams that now play on turf. It's very common down there especially for youth because it can be hard to maintain grass in that climate. I'm not the youngest guy and I play on turf all the time. I actually like playing on turf but watching on grass. The game is more tactical on grass, a little more rapid and hectic on turf

18 hours ago, Mihairokov said:

I think all of his games last year were on grass - I'm sure it is just a coincidence. 

1 hour ago, kacbru said:

I think all of his games last year were on grass - I'm sure it is just a coincidence. 

The only time I've seen him play was 1) on turf, 2) fighting and injury, 3) subbing in to the game his team was already winning.

I'm not guaranteeing he plays in Vancouver, but I don't think it's as unlikely as some people do.

Who didn't come to Vancouver because of turf? Was it Thierry Henry? Anyone else?

BTW has anyone ever listened to Thierry Henry speak on just about anything? Is it humanly possible to be anymore arrogant? This guy lives the French stereotype to a T

I watched Pirlo, Bekham, Villa, Gerrard, Lampard at BC Place. Who didn't come to Vancouver that has turned this in to some kinda of narrative every single time

Edited by SpursFlu