Vancouver Whitecaps - 2024 Season Thread

Big_M

On 12/21/2023 at 2:28 AM, Mihairokov said:

From Messi's opening MLS presser:

"At Messi’s introductory media conference after joining Inter Miami, the 36-year-old explained that his “youth was spent on artificial turf, my whole life was on that pitch,” though when he moved to Europe and Barcelona he would play on grass.

Truth is it’s been a while since I’ve played on artificial turf, but I have no problem adapting myself again,” said Messi."

https://www.cnn.com/2023/09/16/sport/lionel-messi-artificial-turf-inter-miami-mls-spt-intl/index.html

Related, it is not really exact, since in Argentina he did not play on turf, he played mostly on terrible half-dirt fields with tufts of grass here or there.

At Barça the kids play on turf, until maybe u-16 or so, and they are used to it. I'd say this generation of pros have almost all had youth experiences on it. Some of the fields were not even that good back then, early 2000s, they were hard and the "turf" was abrasive, I know because my kid played on them a few times across the road from Camp Nou.

Not only that, while a few teams preferred not to play Cup games on turf vs. lower league rivals, and until a certain point teams had the right to refuse, Barça never refused, though I am not sure if Messi played those games vs. lesser rivals. 

It'll change if some injury comes along and the reason given is playing surface, but Messi has not had a serious injury in years, and the last one was that wrist or lower arm in 2018, at Camp Nou vs. Sevilla, from a seemingly rutinary fall. He had a knee ligament problem in 2015. He's never missed more than 2 months in his career except very early on, a thigh tear.

Sorry to keep going, but IMO one of the biggest risks for Messi is this long MLS break. He's a guy who can go go go, does not need rest, prefers to play, not be subbed even, not be on the bench for anything. Docs and physios even said it was better not to rest him, so we'll see how these couple months off might affect him coming back.

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Messi has not had a serious injury in years, and the last one was that wrist or lower arm in 2018, at Camp Nou vs. Sevilla, from a seemingly rutinary fall. He had a knee ligament problem in 2015. He's never missed more than 2 months in his career except very early on, a thigh tear.

...sounds an awful lot like a jinx to me.  See you back here at the start of the season.

2 hours ago, kacbru said:

Messi only started 4 and subbed on for 2 of Miami's last 13 games post-leagues cup. 

Was that nagging injuries, load management, managing exposure? I wasn't paying attention. 

First, he played close to thirty games in the first 6 months of the season. Then had a month break, left PSG for Inter M, played I think 14 games for Inter to the end of the season, half being Leagues Cup. 14 from mid July to end October isn't bad, plus the Argentine NT.

He had a muscle injury they said from fatigue, early September, took 2 weeks off, played vs TFC but subbed out first half, took off the next three games.

I don't think they've announced anything yet, but I think Caps season's ticket sales are also going well. 

It could not have hurt to have that playoff vs. LA, where most felt we were robbed at least in part by the ref. So fans did not blame the effort or the team, that might've driven some enthusiasm. The generally good season last year. Post-Covid spending. Then the Inter Miami visit will push it over the top.

But it's a risk since you can't start slow with all that hype behind you, and even with the Canucks carrying the weight of sports in the city, in a rare season, at least until May.

6 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I don't think they've announced anything yet, but I think Caps season's ticket sales are also going well. 

It could not have hurt to have that playoff vs. LA, where most felt we were robbed at least in part by the ref. So fans did not blame the effort or the team, that might've driven some enthusiasm. The generally good season last year. Post-Covid spending. Then the Inter Miami visit will push it over the top.

But it's a risk since you can't start slow with all that hype behind you, and even with the Canucks carrying the weight of sports in the city, in a rare season, at least until May.

I am curious about any ramifications it has on VFC's second season attendance.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Pre-Miami announcement, I think they had added about 1500 new season tickets in the first month. At the time, I was curious if it was the performance of the club or people gambling on a Miami game. Maybe a bit of both.

Not sure how many tickets they've sold since the announcement, but it was apparently 200 in the first few hours after the announcement and I'm sure it's continued to be strong.  However, I've also heard of people buying the season tickets and then trying to to sell every other game. And there's no telling how many of these tickets are straight scalpers.

1 hour ago, BearcatSA said:

I am curious about any ramifications it has on VFC's second season attendance.

Good point, and not an easy call. I think VFC will lose some season ticket holders and maybe gain a few more, but they'll have to do some more winning at home in the first 2 months to help themselves.

A key question is that the two venues are a long way away from each other, over 40km. And it is much harder to live in the Valley and go to BC Place, park and so on, or take transit, than to live in Vancouver and go to Langley, drive back to your home parking. When I'm back I'm with family walking distance from BC Place and have driven to Langley, so I have a decent idea. But still, most of the fan bases don't meet. 

I am glad the Caps are getting back up in terms of results, fans, but I think VFC might struggle second year, unless the results really help them, or they spend the money they sent to the stadium last year on marketing and promotions--and staff to back them--this year.

Is he a Tiebert replacement which will be a depth piece? I assume the still have Cubas with Berthalter in from of the CBs with Vite, Ahmed more forward and Schopf somewhere in between.  With those players, they don’t need a more defensive player like Tiebert but could use someone who is more attacking to compete with Vite and Ahmed so this makes sense.

2 hours ago, An Observer said:

Is he a Tiebert replacement which will be a depth piece? I assume the still have Cubas with Berthalter in from of the CBs with Vite, Ahmed more forward and Schopf somewhere in between.  With those players, they don’t need a more defensive player like Tiebert but could use someone who is more attacking to compete with Vite and Ahmed so this makes sense.

Manny Aparicio, please, to replace Tiebert.

On 12/29/2023 at 3:57 PM, An Observer said:

Not sure how much tread Kreilach has left on his tires.  If he's coming off the bench for 20 minutes, he can provide a multi-faceted goal producing threat inside and outside the penalty area (shooting, good in the air) and he seems ike a high character guy much respected at his former team as club captain.

LAFC's midfield grafters (Acosta and Tillman) were better than their Whitecaps counterparts in the playoff series and I think that type of "8" would help this midfield.

Edited by BearcatSA

Here is a repeat post of mine from a couple of weeks ago. I wonder if CPL will become a source of MLS players on any regular basis.

"The 2023 CPL Best XI was just published. Four players of interest for the Whitecaps IMO would be:

Tristan Henry - Back up keeper

Manny Aparicio - replacement for Teibert with better offensive ability

Dan Nimick - to develop into a starting CB

Ali Musse - more or less like for like replacement for Hoilett

Very good depth if not starting level."

https://theprovince.com/sports/whitecaps-the-richie-laryea-experiment-in-vancouver-is-over

key notes:

•  laryea not coming back
  • targeting an attacking player with their final DP slot
  •  offer to teibert is in a non-playing role, if he continues his playing career it won't be with the whitecaps 
  • still tbd on junior hoilett (my bet is that, for the family reasons cited in the article, he stays in the UK)

Edited by saladroit

23 minutes ago, saladroit said:

https://theprovince.com/sports/whitecaps-the-richie-laryea-experiment-in-vancouver-is-over

key notes:

•  laryea not coming back
  • targeting an attacking player with their final DP slot
  •  offer to teibert is in a non-playing role, if he continues his playing career it won't be with the whitecaps 
  • still tbd on junior hoilett (my bet is that, for the family reasons cited in the article, he stays in the UK)

Apart from White and Vite being absent, when do they announce the rest of their preseason roster?  I am curious to see who the trialists will be.