Vancouver Whitecaps - 2024 Season Thread

Big_M

2 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

Apart from White and Vite being absent, when do they announce the rest of their preseason roster?  I am curious to see who the trialists will be.

The 3 African players they signed to the 2nd team at the end of the year, a couple of the 2006's from the Canada U17 team, a nearly 25 year old CB from Sweden they drafted last year but didn't make an offer to and apparently they gave a preseason invite to a certain CB from Halifax they also drafted but chose not to invite to camp😅

2 hours ago, Footyeh said:

The 3 African players they signed to the 2nd team at the end of the year, a couple of the 2006's from the Canada U17 team, a nearly 25 year old CB from Sweden they drafted last year but didn't make an offer to and apparently they gave a preseason invite to a certain CB from Halifax they also drafted but chose not to invite to camp😅

What about Malcolm Simmons?

Gressel just signed for Inter Miami.

If Caps have lost Becher, don't have the depth options of Hoillet and Laryea, then the pickups are basically journeyman types, they'll go into the season with a weaker squad than last year. Especially, I think, they need some more midfield talent, and someone to pressure White up top as he can go hot and cold.

Not just that: if you sign some premium players, not just supersaver types, you motivate the team and the fans and make a statement about wanting to do even better this year.

6 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

If Caps have lost Becher, don't have the depth options of Hoillet and Laryea, then the pickups are basically journeyman types, they'll go into the season with a weaker squad than last year. Especially, I think, they need some more midfield talent, and someone to pressure White up top as he can go hot and cold.

Not just that: if you sign some premium players, not just supersaver types, you motivate the team and the fans and make a statement about wanting to do even better this year.

Schuster suggested a couple of signings should be done within 10 days, including a DP-level attacking player, in the Province piece on Laryea not coming back.

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

The Messi game has resulted in enormous season ticket sales for them. Obviously that's a lot of scalpers and people not planning to attend every game. But this is a major opportunity for the club to recapture some lost fans, and it's imperative that they have a good team on the pitch. Otherwise, people will still show up for the Miami game but spend the rest of the year thinking "yeah, that's why I don't go out to games."

22 hours ago, Watchmen said:

The Messi game has resulted in enormous season ticket sales for them. Obviously that's a lot of scalpers and people not planning to attend every game. But this is a major opportunity for the club to recapture some lost fans, and it's imperative that they have a good team on the pitch. Otherwise, people will still show up for the Miami game but spend the rest of the year thinking "yeah, that's why I don't go out to games."

They keep hyping that they are selling seasons tickets fast. So there could be more to it than Messi.

https://www.whitecapsfc.com/tickets/season-tickets

Caps had a decent season. Many fans left the LA game thinking they'd gotten a bad shake. Then many enjoyed the Sinclair send-off. Then there is the Vancouver sports fan jumping on bandwagons, with the Canucks going well, unusually so. But of course you can't get Canucks tickets, so its the next in line, and prices are reasonable. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

2 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

They keep hyping that they are selling seasons tickets fast. So there could be more to it than Messi.

https://www.whitecapsfc.com/tickets/season-tickets

Caps had a decent season. Many fans left the LA game thinking they'd gotten a bad shake. Then many enjoyed the Sinclair send-off. Then there is the Vancouver sports fan jumping on bandwagons, with the Canucks going well, unusually so. But of course you can't get Canucks tickets, so its the next in line, and prices are reasonable. 

We'll see. They were selling season tickets really well right after the season, and I think that's when the "playoff game enjoyment" was in effect. Right now, I think it's mostly Messi. But, it's a big opportunity. They're taping in to a new market (people who know Messi is big but have maybe never been out to games).  Have a friend who bought 4 season  tickets (had never had season tickets before) because of Messi and while he's not planning to come to every game he's going to get out to more than just the Miami one. Will he renew next year? No. But if the team is good and he enjoys it, I do think he'd look at a half-season/flex ticket package of some sort. His 12 y/o son is already excited to get out for some games, so as I say, this is a big opportunity for the club. Be good and you'll capture some new fans for life.

13 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Wondering if season ticket sales have now started to slow a bit. Bundle in the Miami game and sell some additional games before, before individual games go on sale.

I think it is just a strategy to build loyalty. Committing to four games, spread out over the season, is a way to get fans there in certain moments of the season. So those willing to dish out, thinking Messi but fine with having a few more, are technically more loyal or interested, and better longer-term prospects, than fans waiting for singles to see Messi.

Thing is, Messi could get a knock in training the week before and not play, it is dumb to think you are automatically going to see him. But dumb is the level of the fan who, at this point in his career, would all of sudden think about spending hundreds, thousands, just to see him.

I'm irked, yes, by these moneyed people who could have seen any great player years ago, could have seen veritable stars when travelling in Europe, and instead went for cocktails on a roof terrace wearing their best linens.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I think it is just a strategy to build loyalty. Committing to four games, spread out over the season, is a way to get fans there in certain moments of the season. So those willing to dish out, thinking Messi but fine with having a few more, are technically more loyal or interested, and better longer-term prospects, than fans waiting for singles to see Messi.

It's a good package for casual fans: home opener, 50th anniversary (the Austin game), Miami, and LAFC. I'm a bit surprised they didn't include a "lesser" game in the mix, just to try to drive fans to a game that might be a tougher sale. A San Jose or Kansas game, for instance.

Having said that, the package starts at $247. For $400 you could get the entire season plus Apple+ for free.

Incidentally, have heard that GA, pitch side, and "the lounge" have sold out of season tickets already. Now to get people to actually attend.

1 hour ago, Watchmen said:

It's a good package for casual fans: home opener, 50th anniversary (the Austin game), Miami, and LAFC. I'm a bit surprised they didn't include a "lesser" game in the mix, just to try to drive fans to a game that might be a tougher sale. A San Jose or Kansas game, for instance.

Having said that, the package starts at $247. For $400 you could get the entire season plus Apple+ for free.

Incidentally, have heard that GA, pitch side, and "the lounge" have sold out of season tickets already. Now to get people to actually attend.

It's might be a good package for those living outside the Lower Mainland and might come in for four different times during the regular season.  Not necessarily me, because I might go the one time, maybe twice, but that's where the regional branding comes in to play.

2 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

It's might be a good package for those living outside the Lower Mainland and might come in for four different times during the regular season.  Not necessarily me, because I might go the one time, maybe twice, but that's where the regional branding comes in to play.

Well, if seems to be selling well. 300 person queue to buy tickets online, and tickets being sold in the upper bowl.

20 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Well, if seems to be selling well. 300 person queue to buy tickets online, and tickets being sold in the upper bowl.

True, they've officially opened up the upper bowl for the 4-pack deal. 

That suggests that the deal is going so well they'll have sold a lot before going to single sales. I agree with them to hold off as much as possible before letting the Inter Miami tix come free for singles.