Vancouver Whitecaps - 2024 Season Thread

Big_M

2 hours ago, Stoppage Time said:

I think that I would rather see an accomplished Canadian understudy rather than another American journeyman. I proposed Tristan Henry as a possible back up for VWFC.

That was Hasal last year, and everyone complained.

On 1/17/2024 at 12:43 PM, Watchmen said:

The young guy started out like a house on fire.  I thought he'd become a scoring star for the Whitecaps but it didn't happen.  Perhaps not enough time?

Regardless, best of luck to him in his career.

1 hour ago, Goal_Kick said:

The young guy started out like a house on fire.  I thought he'd become a scoring star for the Whitecaps but it didn't happen.  Perhaps not enough time?

Regardless, best of luck to him in his career.

His initial scoring rate was unsustainable (he didn't set an MLS record, after all) but he was buried behind White (who was scoring) and Cordova (who wasn't, but was a DP). I was hoping he'd become a "super sub", and while I don't think he looked bad he also didn't score.

The other loser today are the fans. Referring to the Miami pre-sale. Insane ticket prices and demand. Good for the club. It will probably easily be the biggest gate revenue of any sporting event in the history of Vancouver, maybe Canada. Cheapest tickets $350

Edited by SpursFlu

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

They lost 0-2 to Puskas today, both rival goals after m. 80.

Here are the starters, they proudly announced it was Badwal's first start for the 1st team.

Imatge

Hard not to think the extra Badwal hype will be, in part, a reaction to losing Grady. Badwel is clearly very highly thought of by management and they won't want to lose him as well.

On 1/23/2024 at 8:01 AM, Watchmen said:

Just checked to see how the sales are going for the Miami game.  Apparently the cheapest tickets were $94 each.  They're gone, but there's still some in the $122 range.  Sale to the general public goes live tomorrow, so we'll see how quickly those sell out.

Even if Messi doesn't play or is injured, you are getting Suárez, Busquets. They are still premium players.

The thing about Suárez, if he'd signed for any other team, say NYCFC, LAFC, Seattle, it would be huge news and a major selling point, as well as a draw for them at home and teams hosting them. But going to Miami it is just a sidebar, filler news. 

Even if the Caps only have 10 or 15,000 tickets available after season tix sales, the 4-match deal, they are going to pull in 1 to 1.5 million in revenue for the match. True, BC Place probably charges more to open the upper tier, but it is still a windfall. The Caps spend about 10 million a year on salaries, so that covers 10% or more in a single night.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Even if Messi doesn't play or is injured, you are getting Suárez, Busquets. They are still premium players.

The thing about Suárez, if he'd signed for any other team, say NYCFC, LAFC, Seattle, it would be huge news and a major selling point, as well as a draw for them at home and teams hosting them. But going to Miami it is just a sidebar, filler news. 

Even if the Caps only have 10 or 15,000 tickets available after season tix sales, the 4-match deal, they are going to pull in 1 to 1.5 million in revenue for the match. True, BC Place probably charges more to open the upper tier, but it is still a windfall. The Caps spend about 10 million a year on salaries, so that covers 10% or more in a single night.

Yeah, even without Messi it would have been an appealing game for some casual fans.  It's a financial windfall for the club.  We'll see what they do now.

20 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

For me one of the best players in MLS , these are the type of DP’s that seem to succeed in this league . A guy who was doing ok in Europe nothing special almost like a Giovinco type of career he was having in Italy before he came to TFC . 

i definitely agree, though he wasn't a nothing player in portugal before coming to the caps; he was probably one of the best non-benfica/sporting/porto players in that league

18 minutes ago, saladroit said:

i definitely agree, though he wasn't a nothing player in portugal before coming to the caps; he was probably one of the best non-benfica/sporting/porto players in that league

The Whitecaps strategy of targeting players on relegated teams has paid off nicely for them twice, with Gauld and Cubas.

7 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

The Whitecaps strategy of targeting players on relegated teams has paid off nicely for them twice, with Gauld and Cubas.

i think specifically a lot of credit should go to nikos overheul for those deals, cubas especially was an absolute analytics darling signing (his ball-winning numbers were off the charts) that would probably only be on the radar because they had someone with overheul's statsbomb/brentford background

Edited by saladroit

4 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Yeah, even without Messi it would have been an appealing game for some casual fans.  It's a financial windfall for the club.  We'll see what they do now.

Maybe for some.  But I don't think we would have seen the sort of hype that Messi's arrival has generated.

Speaking of which - this may have already been mentioned but I was looking at Miami's schedule and noticed that the Vancouver away game on 5/25 is sandwiched between two Miami home games on 5/18 and 5/29.

If Miami wants to rest Messi (and they will during the season) the Vancouver game would seem a logical time to do so.  Save him from a long flight back and forth to Vancouver and three games in 11 days, not to mention playing on artificial turf.  

39 minutes ago, Goal_Kick said:

Maybe for some.  But I don't think we would have seen the sort of hype that Messi's arrival has generated.

Oh, agreed. It would have likely been more on the level of Gerrard/Lampard coming town.

41 minutes ago, Goal_Kick said:

If Miami wants to rest Messi (and they will during the season) the Vancouver game would seem a logical time to do so.  Save him from a long flight back and forth to Vancouver and three games in 11 days, not to mention playing on artificial turf.  

I'm not saying there's no concern (and as a STH I'll be at the game regardless), but if he's healthy I think he'll make the trip. I would not expect him to play the whole game, or even necessarily to start.

2 hours ago, saladroit said:

i think specifically a lot of credit should go to nikos overheul for those deals, cubas especially was an absolute analytics darling signing (his ball-winning numbers were off the charts) that would probably only be on the radar because they had someone with overheul's statsbomb/brentford background

Yeah, I know the team has downplayed Overheul's departure a bit (ie he implemented a system and we intend to keep following it), but we'll have to see how that goes. I know people were excited by last seasons Laryea/Adekugbe/Hoilett signings, and I think each one is defensible on its own merits. But it also seemed a bit of a "we didn't really scout and people love the NT so sign some of those guys".

44 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Yeah, I know the team has downplayed Overheul's departure a bit (ie he implemented a system and we intend to keep following it), but we'll have to see how that goes. I know people were excited by last seasons Laryea/Adekugbe/Hoilett signings, and I think each one is defensible on its own merits. But it also seemed a bit of a "we didn't really scout and people love the NT so sign some of those guys".

it's very tbd on how adekugbe works out (not sure he'll be worth his cap hit, think he'll be a solid starter at least) but luckily they weren't locked into the laryea/hoilett moves since they were basically rentals for the stretch run. the kreilach move is quite iffy with the two-year contract (eager to see the salary number with this one), though i do really like the picault signing (super good defensive numbers for an attacking player, fits the pressing model, adds a needed dimension of pace into the attack, only on a one-year deal)

4 hours ago, saladroit said:

it's very tbd on how adekugbe works out (not sure he'll be worth his cap hit, think he'll be a solid starter at least) but luckily they weren't locked into the laryea/hoilett moves since they were basically rentals for the stretch run. the kreilach move is quite iffy with the two-year contract (eager to see the salary number with this one), though i do really like the picault signing (super good defensive numbers for an attacking player, fits the pressing model, adds a needed dimension of pace into the attack, only on a one-year deal)

Gotta see how much tread is left on Kreilach's tires in an off-the-bench role.  However, his meat-and-drink of scoring goals from central midfield would help this attack if he still has it, especially with Ahmed out for awhile at the start of the season.

7 hours ago, saladroit said:

I wonder if Overheul was influential in the Cordova signing?

6 hours ago, Goal_Kick said:

Agreed.  Suarez's notoriety might have moved the meter somewhat but defensive holding mids, even of Busquets's class over his long career, don't put casuals in the seats.