Daniel Nimick

VinceA

HFX Wanderers CB - born September 22, 2000. Came through Leeds academy.

Supposedly has MLS and Premier League interest.

Suppose he deserves his own thread if there's rumblings.

3748D673-1FE3-4529-A760-06A27C2C8152.jpeg.fcc428875da4eea8f2307d71c099b16e.jpeg

per @Atlantic on MOACA

Don't know anything about "TheSecretScout"

He has been probably the best CB in the league this season.

Also interesting that the dude spent 8 years with Leeds and at no point did Canada bring him into a U15 or U17 camp. Less interesting I suppose or more "I'm not shocked."

Edited by VinceA

Newfoundlander by birth since dad was in the RAF and seems like he lived in England from age 1-19 when he went to Western Michigan for college. I think the first time he kicked a soccer ball in Canada was his first game for HFX, so I don’t blame Canada for not calling him. When’s the last time we’ve had someone from NFLD on the national team? 

TheSecretScout is very youth focused.  

They brand themselves as a portal for players and coaches as much as fans.

Certainly their original content is about players I generally have never heard of.

Just remember they made fun of Mark Noble going on a short Harvard course and the being made sporting director at West Ham.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

I have noticed he has made several teams of the week this season already.

Interesting enough, there was a brief interaction between Nimick and Doneil Henry from the mic'd up Doneil video.  Near the end of the game Nimick is seen asking Doneil (referring to Doneil as a celebrity) to come meet his family, which basically consisted of a group of young boys (Nimick still has quite the English accent).  Doneil walks to the young boys and says the following:

"Did you guys have fun?  Did you see this superstar? (pointing to Nimick)  He's going to play for Canada.  He's going to be better than me 100%!  100%!"

I didn't think much of this interaction when I first heard it other than Doneil hyping up his team mate in front of some of his family.  But the word choice in more intriguing now, if these rumours are true.

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

Newfoundlander by birth since dad was in the RAF and seems like he lived in England from age 1-19 when he went to Western Michigan for college. I think the first time he kicked a soccer ball in Canada was his first game for HFX, so I don’t blame Canada for not calling him. When’s the last time we’ve had someone from NFLD on the national team? 

Never.

2 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

I thought so- for some reason I thought Shaffelburg or MacNaughton were from there, but I think I was thinking of Shaff being from NS.

Shaff is from NS. MacNaughton has no connection to Atlantic Canada.

Another Atlantic Canadians to rep the senior team is Ante Jazic, also a Scotian. Some others from the region have went on to play for our youth national teams (Matthew Britner is one name that comes to mind), but as far as senior caps go the list is incredibly short. 

4 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Another Atlantic Canadians to rep the senior team is Ante Jazic, also a Scotian. Some others from the region have went on to play for our youth national teams (Matthew Britner is one name that comes to mind), but as far as senior caps go the list is incredibly short. 

I think we need to cap this kid if for no reason but to say we can field a team that draws from coast to coast. Now all we need to do is figure a way to get some talented young players up in the territories to make their way up the ladder.

5 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Mesut Mert "B" Senior team cap.

1 hour ago, toontownman said:

Been boss since the start of the season. Was overlooked on the MLS draft but I've been impressed since day one in the CPL. Premier league seems a bit far fetched by MLS definitely.

He was drafted 42 overall by Vancouver this past MLS draft. Not sure why he didn't sign, perhaps just preferred the opportunity of the CPL? Would Vancouver hold his MLS rights?

16 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

I think we need to cap this kid if for no reason but to say we can field a team that draws from coast to coast. Now all we need to do is figure a way to get some talented young players up in the territories to make their way up the ladder.

Joe Hanson on Whitecaps 2 is the only one I can think of from the territories

1 hour ago, rydermike said:

Joe Hanson on Whitecaps 2 is the only one I can think of from the territories

If the Caps were crapping the bed and out of the playoffs, I thought for sure that they would sign him to a first team contract and sub him in to the last regular season match as their traditional pr homage to their cross-Canada academy system.