Match Thread: Voyageurs Cup - Finals - Vancouver Whitecaps v CF Montréal - June 7, 2023

2 hours ago, El Hombre said:

Not a single Canadian on the pitch during the Canadian Championship Final.  How are people fans of this team?

It was the biggest crowd of the season, and fans went home happy because the home team won.  The "no Canadians" isn't grumbling from the majority of the fans in attendance.

39 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

It was the biggest crowd of the season, and fans went home happy because the home team won.  The "no Canadians" isn't grumbling from the majority of the fans in attendance.

I've been a fan since 1974.

I prefer to have a winning team. Consistently. Then build on it. That includes building Canadians into the team. We played Ali Ahmed in the V Cup and that's where we lost him too.

I like Sartini's commitment to winning, Vancouver being a city that struggles at winning anything.

All I will say is that I think most of us would prefer if they managed to do both - win and play quality Canadians.  Both TFC and Montreal have managed to win the V Cup with quality Canadian internationals on the field.  For Vancouver this year it feels more like ticking a box.  

In fairness, I am sure Ahmed would have been on the field at the final whistle if he had been healthy.  But I suspect most here want more Canadian content on our MLS teams - especially in the context of this tournament.  

Both teams played by the rules, and only fielded the minimum 3 Canadian starters. I've got no bone to pick with Vancouver.

What does annoy me is that I went to bed at 2-0 and it seems I missed all the fun.

The Whitecaps have upgraded the talent level of the squad without going all in on one or two high priced stars, and it's working. I hope they continue to do well this season.

Pulling all three Canadians pissed me off at the time, but on reflection they all made tactical sense — Martins is not a great defender but is a natural defender to deal with ZBG coming on; Vite for Teibert to give more threat going forward, push for another goal and keep Mtl from committing too far forward, then Johnson for Berhalter to push Vite up and get a defensive minded MF back on the pitch. Johnson did really well I thought — some great on the ball choices and decisive movements/passes. 

Entertaining game that should have been 7-3 but for the goalkeeping at both ends. Actually I don’t really fault Sirois too much on the first — it was right at the edge of the area where maybe you can catch or punch it but that could get you a red for intentional handling outside the area. Not an easy one. Leave it entirely to Waterman or go for a headed clearance would have been best choices but it was really hooking and missing the header would have also been disastrous. Bit of a no-win situation, imo.

Edited by shorty

10 hours ago, nolando said:

Such is the state of the team (and the support for this team) that I honestly can't tell who is being genuine and who is being sarcastic in this thread tonight.

Being genuine but a little hammy. Did go to the game and had a good time. Crowd was really in to it. I think the Whitecaps supporters get credit for really valuing the Voyageurs Cup. Definitely had a different feel from a regular MLS game

4 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

All I will say is that I think most of us would prefer if they managed to do both - win and play quality Canadians.  Both TFC and Montreal have managed to win the V Cup with quality Canadian internationals on the field.  For Vancouver this year it feels more like ticking a box.  

In fairness, I am sure Ahmed would have been on the field at the final whistle if he had been healthy.  But I suspect most here want more Canadian content on our MLS teams - especially in the context of this tournament.  

Well, the Caps tried to do more than tick a box and failed: they went big on Cavallini and were rewarded with indifference (at best) and petulance; Teibert was made captain and trotted out in the local media as Mr. Canada and he just kind of passed the ball backwards (repeatedly); Crepeau was touted as the next great Canadian keeper and he forced a move out because his feelings were hurt when his buddy was fired as coach; MDS was brought in as a Canadian manager and he couldn't back-up all his aspirational talk. Of course, along the way they have made some head-scratching decisions around young Canadian players (Cornelius comes to mind). In any event, I want Canadians on the team in meaningful roles, but most Caps fans just want to win in an entertaining way after years of Robbo-ball and MDS dirge. Crowds are at an all-time low and winning is the best path for getting fans back in the seats. Hopefully Ahmed will play a key role in this. We'll see if Vanni can deliver, but signs are more positive this year than in the last 5 seasons.  

Edited by Soro17

2 hours ago, shorty said:

Pulling all three Canadians pissed me off at the time, but on reflection they all made tactical sense — Martins is not a great defender but is a natural defender to deal with ZBG coming on; Vite for Teibert to give more threat going forward, push for another goal and keep Mtl from committing too far forward, then Johnson for Berhalter to push Vite up and get a defensive minded MF back on the pitch. Johnson did really well I thought — some great on the ball choices and decisive movements/passes. 

Teibert sucks, and has for years. Raposo hasn't really adapted to the role of left back, which is unfortunate because there's not a ton of other spots for him as Vanni doesn't use wingers. Johnson got a good run out and a lot of us are hoping he's the next WFC2 signing. Ahmed is one of the most exciting players they've had for a while, a player fans are genuinely enjoying watching. Really unfortunate that he's injured still and missed this game, but got a good round of applause when accepting the Young Player award.

Kudos to Van, hope they keep it up, finish high in the standings and make a run in the playoffs, happy for them.  But if we are complaining, why not change the rules, make it 4 CDN starters next year?  Not so drastic as to throw off the teams, but just a reminder that you better plan this out and have some CDNS that can contribute or you wont be the CDN champ.  The CPL teams would get a little extra leg up to help keep things interesting and mb more upsets which us fans always love (even if it was Rovers/Valor haha).  

5 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Kudos to Van, hope they keep it up, finish high in the standings and make a run in the playoffs, happy for them.  But if we are complaining, why not change the rules, make it 4 CDN starters next year?  Not so drastic as to throw off the teams, but just a reminder that you better plan this out and have some CDNS that can contribute or you wont be the CDN champ.  The CPL teams would get a little extra leg up to help keep things interesting and mb more upsets which us fans always love (even if it was Rovers/Valor haha).  

I would fully support this.  The fact that you can start 3 Canadians and then sub them out at your leisure (with no secondary requirements) seems overly lenient.   

11 hours ago, Watchmen said:

...The "no Canadians" isn't grumbling from the majority of the fans in attendance.

Always important to remember that the prevailing group think on this forum is out of tune with how mainstream soccer fans in Canada tend to view these issues. Wait until Messi shows up in Toronto and Montreal next season and we'll see what most people who follow soccer really want to be able to watch locally, i.e. the best possible calibre of player regardless of what passport they hold.

HAHA, prevailing group think on a CDN fansite, about a CDN team, in the CDN championship, playing or not playing CDN players.  And then compare that to MLS, where there are no rules on playing CDNS and the teams are free to play whoever they want.  Typically birdshit opinion, go ahead and do what you want in the american league no rules against it, but in the CAN champ, it should at least have some CDN flavor.  And if you dont want any CDN flavor, why the fuck are you here, go troll the MLS website??    

3 hours ago, Bison44 said:

HAHA, prevailing group think on a CDN fansite, about a CDN team, in the CDN championship, playing or not playing CDN players.  And then compare that to MLS, where there are no rules on playing CDNS and the teams are free to play whoever they want.  Typically birdshit opinion, go ahead and do what you want in the american league no rules against it, but in the CAN champ, it should at least have some CDN flavor.  And if you dont want any CDN flavor, why the fuck are you here, go troll the MLS website??    

Some of us were Whitecaps fans from before the Charlottetown Conference. If you get my drift.