U21 Minute Tracker

15 hours ago, Kent said:

Players born in 2002 qualify for this right? If so, I believe Trivine Esprit will count towards this. His age isn't listed on canpl.ca yet but he is listed as being born in February 2002 on Canada Soccer's website.

https://canadasoccer.com/profile/?id=4385&teamId=2073

I can't find info on how he is on the York United roster though. Was this a temporary signing or is he on the roster full time now? He looked pretty good in limited minutes (apparently only 3 according to canpl.ca, which surprises me) in their last game. Hopefully he can start collecting minutes to help the team out in this regard, but obviously York will need more than 1 guy to do the job.

It was probably just a temporary developmental contract signing since that's what Vasconcelos was for that match. So York might be a whole 3 minutes closer, but they do need every minute they can get. 

Edited by rydermike

2 hours ago, Watchmen said:

What's the punishment if a team doesn't hit the minimum minutes?

On 6/8/2023 at 6:23 PM, rydermike said:

At the bottom of the U21 minutes page on the CPL site it says:

* The minimum minute playing requirement for U-21 Domestic Players is a critical tenet of the League. As such, any team that fails to meet the 2,000-minute requirement over the course of the 2023 CPL Regular Season will be ineligible to participate in the 2023 CPL Playoffs. Any such team would also likely be assessed significant financial and other possible penalties.

So, the CPL can pay a fine to themselves

On 6/12/2023 at 12:23 PM, shorty said:

York are so screwed.  They have to average over 100 minutes per game from here to the end just to make the minimum.  (currently averaging just over 16)

Makes you wonder about how open everyone is about this situation in the locker room. If York keeps staying up there in the table but doesn't play enough U21s, the veteran players will probably start dreading the games when 2-3 rookies have to start and there's little familiarity or cohesion. Looking at York's U21 list on the previous page, 2 of those players are GKs so it's not even like they can throw a couple games and just start all 6 of them. Maybe Nash is just waiting for injuries to force his hand...

He is in a tough spot, he needs to win NOW, to try and get some sort of momentum in the stands and boardroom going.  If they are bottom on the league and the worst draw I imagine it makes it harder to find a new owner.  But he knows the rules, he should have had a kid or two primed for minutes. you cant leave it too late.  There has to be a win win situation with a friendly MLS side out there, loan someone who need a little bit sharper competition than NextPro for the remainder of the season, Montreal I am looking at you because I dont think TFC sees the benefit of loans like you do.  

CPL Top U-21 Minutes 

Teams should be at 714 minutes (786 for 11 games) to be on pace

Club Total U-21 Minutes
Valour FC (10) 1,727 (+176)
Vancouver FC (10) 1,330 (+361)
Pacific FC (10) 895 (+0)
Atlético Ottawa (10) 869 (+44)
Forge FC (11) 656 (+90)
Halifax Wanderers FC (10) 461 (+101)
Cavalry FC (10) 391 (+76)
York United FC (11) 168  (+0)   (+3*)

*3 minutes retroactively added from Trivine Esprit which was omitted in last week's update

Not sure how it won't at this point.  Either they carry on with the players that are mostly winning them points, and then they forfeit out of whatever playoff spot they "earned", OR they somehow find two reliable 60-90 minute per game U21 players, like, yesterday.  Given that they don't currently trust the players they have to do this, I suspect this means they would suffer a drop in quality by complying with the U21 rule.

Cavalry and Halifax will also need to average nearly 90 minutes a match for the remainder of the season to meet the requirement. York will need 108 Canadian U21 minutes per match (surpassing the current rates of Canadian U21 usage of all but Vancouver and Valour).

Edited by jonovision

Atletico also needs to up their U21s. JA Assi has about 75% of their minutes and he's capped at 1000. So they'll need to start giving the rest more than their current pace (the rest of the roster is on pace for 574 by the end of the season, so they need to double their pace) 

Edited by rydermike

19 hours ago, shorty said:

Not sure how it won't at this point.  Either they carry on with the players that are mostly winning them points, and then they forfeit out of whatever playoff spot they "earned", OR they somehow find two reliable 60-90 minute per game U21 players, like, yesterday.  Given that they don't currently trust the players they have to do this, I suspect this means they would suffer a drop in quality by complying with the U21 rule.

Or they put out an entire U21 line up and basically throw one game in return for half a season's worth of minutes.  In fact, doing that twice but fielding a stronger team for the other 26 games might actually be a valid strategy.

1 hour ago, Kingston said:

Or they put out an entire U21 line up and basically throw one game in return for half a season's worth of minutes.  In fact, doing that twice but fielding a stronger team for the other 26 games might actually be a valid strategy.

In terms of points and placings, sure. Where are they going to get eleven U21 players though?

44 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Does such a team exist?

I just checked the Academy section of their website and it lists a U17 team, a U19 team, and a "primavera" team.  So it looks like it.  I'm not sure what the CPL's call up rules are.

On 6/14/2023 at 4:32 AM, jonovision said:

That joke has already been made. But a playoff ban is a real possibility, given the current standings.

If you win the regular season you still receive a trophy and CONCACAF Champions Cup entry so would a playoffs ban be enough to deter a club from non-compliance under certain scenarios? Guess the "other possible penalties" wording leaves the door open to still deal with that.

6 hours ago, K Edgar said:

5 U21 starters and 2 U21 subs for Vancouver FC last night.  402 (!!!) U21 minutes by my count.

There's York's solution right there.  Implement a "cap and trade" market in the CPL where U21-efficient clubs can sell their excess U21 minutes to other clubs for cash or points in the standings.  The most complicated standings table in the world is within our reach!