U21 Minute Tracker

This was an interesting tracker last season, with Atletico waiting to the end while York more than tripled the requirement. Here are the stats after one match.

https://canpl.ca/u-21-minutes-played/

CPL Top U-21 Minutes (after matchday 1)

Club Total U-21 Minutes
Valour FC 122
Atlético Ottawa 107
Pacific FC 90
Forge FC 70
York United FC 58
Halifax Wanderers FC 32
Cavalry FC 18
Vancouver FC 0
Edited by rydermike

And just to be clear, a player is considered to be U21 for the purposes of this rule if they are born on or after January 1, 2002.

The link above provides a list of all U21-eligible players currently on a CPL roster.

Edited by jonovision

2 hours ago, rydermike said:

This was an interesting tracker last season, with Atletico waiting to the end while York more than tripled the requirement. Here are the stats after one match.

CPL Top U-21 Minutes (after matchday 1)

Club Total U-21 Minutes
Valour FC 122
Atlético Ottawa 107
Pacific FC 90
Forge FC 70
York United FC 58
Halifax Wanderers FC 32
Cavalry FC 18
Vancouver FC 0

It’s good to see Vancouver FC has continued the time honoured Vancouver tradition of hating Canada. 

4 hours ago, jonovision said:

And just to be clear, a player is considered to be U21 for the purposes of this rule if they are born on or after January 1, 2002.

The link above provides a list of all U21-eligible players currently on a CPL roster.

So Toussaint is a couple days too old. That’s unfortunate. He’ll get a lot of minutes this season 

On 4/19/2023 at 5:21 PM, Aird25 said:

So Toussaint is a couple days too old. That’s unfortunate. He’ll get a lot of minutes this season 

As long as Gazdov stays healthy we will be good for U21 minutes.  Amedume and Lajeunesse should also get rotation minutes, you would think, though it was interesting to see Young slotted in at CB in the cup game ahead of Lajeunesse and Amedume with TMG out.

After Matchday 3. To be on pace to meet the restriction, teams should be at 214.3 minutes. (2000 divided by 28 games multiplied by 3 games played)

Minutes earned last match in brackets

Club Total U-21 Minutes
Valour FC 556  (+254)
Pacific FC 360 (+90)
Atlético Ottawa 338 (+90)
Vancouver FC 160 (+70)
Cavalry FC 140 (+21)
Forge FC 134 (+0)
York United FC 112 (+1)
Halifax Wanderers FC 58 (+0)

Edited by rydermike

Valour's lead at the top here is partly by accident: I can't imagine Juan Pablo Sanchez or Matteo de Brienne were being counted on to be regular 90 minute players when the season started. But they're on the roster and are making the most of their opportunity, which is a big reason the rule is in place. With Ohin not likely to be back soon, Sanchez should be able to keep his midfield spot, while Haynes will have to offer a lot more than de Brienne defensively to make up for the attacking push you lose from taking Matteo out of the lineup.

CPL Top U-21 Minutes (after match day 4)

2000 minute 28 match pace is 285.7 minutes

Club Total U-21 Minutes
Valour FC 826 (+270)
Pacific FC 456 (+96)
Atlético Ottawa 428 (+90)
Vancouver FC 252 (+92)
Forge FC 224 (+90)
Cavalry FC 150 (+10)
York United FC 139 (+27)
Halifax Wanderers FC 64 (+6)

1 hour ago, Kadenge said:

A 2000 mins U-20 requirement does not seem unreasonable, yet  the majority of teams are behind after 4 games. I mean its only 71 mins  per game over 28 games...  or am I reading the chart incorrectly?

You are right.

Most teams start using their U21 minutes when injuries test their depth. Aside from Valour, I don't think teams are suffering major injury crises a month into the season.

And yet, the current top 4 in the standings are also 4 out of the top 5 in U21 minutes.  I think careful selection of the youth end of your roster is key here — choosing kids who are ready to contribute right away pays off in more ways than just compliance with the minutes requirement. (Long term stability if they stay, or potential growth of the club by selling players on / building a reputation for development. 

5 hours ago, Kadenge said:

A 2000 mins U-20 requirement does not seem unreasonable, yet  the majority of teams are behind after 4 games. I mean its only 71 mins  per game over 28 games...  or am I reading the chart incorrectly?

Why do I seem to think that it will be increasing to 2500 mins next season?

11 hours ago, jonovision said:

You are right.

Most teams start using their U21 minutes when injuries test their depth. Aside from Valour, I don't think teams are suffering major injury crises a month into the season.

and this would seem logical but it also means that the majority of CPL teams, to date, do not have at least 1 U21 player that is capable of starting or playing significant mins. That's disappointing as one would think that there must be at least 8 Canadian U20s, not on MLS/affiliate teams, that would be capable of  playing  in our domestic league. One of the major challenges for Cdn U20 teams in Concacaf is that when they play teams from the region (CA, US, Mex) they face players  with domestic pro experience. Not saying this should be the driver for CPL, but other regions in our Confederation seem to play U20s in their domestic leagues.

48 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

and this would seem logical but it also means that the majority of CPL teams, to date, do not have at least 1 U21 player that is capable of starting or playing significant mins. That's disappointing as one would think that there must be at least 8 Canadian U20s, not on MLS/affiliate teams, that would be capable of  playing  in our domestic league. One of the major challenges for Cdn U20 teams in Concacaf is that when they play teams from the region (CA, US, Mex) they face players  with domestic pro experience. Not saying this should be the driver for CPL, but other regions in our Confederation seem to play U20s in their domestic leagues.

I don't know about other leagues in the region, but the number of U21 Americans getting regular minutes in MLS is quite small, at least per-team.

2 minutes ago, jonovision said:

I don't know about other leagues in the region, but the number of U21 Americans getting regular minutes in MLS is quite small, at least per-team.

I would expect U21's (from any country) in the MLS to be few.  What about in the american leagues equivalent to the CanPL -- NextPro, USLP -- is the number of U21 Americans (and Canadians?) significant?

32 minutes ago, jonovision said:

My own hot take is that part of the reason the USMNT has declined is because MLS doesn't play enough young Americans. 

Most successful MLS sides starting XI has few Americans 

1 hour ago, Kadenge said:

there must be at least 8 Canadian U20s, not on MLS/affiliate teams, that would be capable of  playing  in our domestic league.

One would wish. There are certainly young players capable of playing in the league, but they generally aren't as good (at this stage in their careers) as their more experienced counterparts who have stuck with the game. How can anyone expect any less?