Canada and the 2024 Copa America

VinceA

I hope Sirois is selected, maybe it’s been a rough patch but Montreal isn’t good and MLS starting by goalie is better than a 24 year old playing against U-23 or U21…

if Owen Goodman was selected I could be more understanding, but even then.

Sirois is playing at a higher level than the guys we claim are above him.

On 5/26/2024 at 3:03 PM, Floortom said:

So the whole discourse that we were going to lose even more money by qualifying for the Copa  was total BS?

Real talk though, we still don't have an agreement with the players right? Is this tournament potentially just going to put another log on the fire/dispute? One more thing the players and CSA will have to try to agree on, potentially after the fact.

Just now, Kent said:

Real talk though, we still don't have an agreement with the players right? Is this tournament potentially just going to put another log on the fire/dispute? One more thing the players and CSA will have to try to agree on, potentially after the fact.

It does seem to flare up whenever the team has matches. So I fully expect to hear about it again next week.

4 minutes ago, narduch said:

It does seem to flare up whenever the team has matches. So I fully expect to hear about it again next week.

Yeah. Hopefully Blue can make short work of it. The fact that it only seems to flare up (maybe just coverage of it flares up?) around camps and tournaments reinforces my belief that it's a distraction for the team.

35 minutes ago, Kent said:

Yeah. Hopefully Blue can make short work of it. The fact that it only seems to flare up (maybe just coverage of it flares up?) around camps and tournaments reinforces my belief that it's a distraction for the team.

Actually,  it heats up when there is prize money involved.

56 minutes ago, Kent said:

I think it only flares up around camps/tournaments is because that's when the players get together, and it's more convenient for them to talk and to talk with the CSA.

And while the conclusion on the Westhead Copa article was wrong (ie we'll go bankrupt), it did at least seem to indicate there's already an agreement in place for this and the prize money here would be enough to cover it.

3 hours ago, Watchmen said:

I think it only flares up around camps/tournaments is because that's when the players get together, and it's more convenient for them to talk and to talk with the CSA.

And while the conclusion on the Westhead Copa article was wrong (ie we'll go bankrupt), it did at least seem to indicate there's already an agreement in place for this and the prize money here would be enough to cover it.

Thanks. I didn't remember that detail.

23 hours ago, JAVIERF said:

My choices I hope Jessee dude follows my choices I'm not picking up the injured 

GK 

Borjan 

Creapeau

St Clair

Zator

Waterman 

McNaughton 

Luc D F

Vitoria

Miller 

Kennedy 

Johnston 

Cornelius 

Fraser 

Piette 

Paton 

EUSTAQUIO 

Choiniere 

Koné

David 

Davies

Buchanan 

Millar 

Shaffenburg

Larin

Curbeanu

Cavallini

Well he picked 17 of my choices 

Kennedy and Waterman out is big  a mistake 

Same for Fraser in as defensive midfield 

And Cavallini and Curbeanu up front 

Fun video making a combined best XI for each group. I can take screenshots of the other groups if anyone is interested, but for now will just include group A, which is obviously of interest to us.

The rule was no more than 3 players per team, so you couldn't have 11 Argentines, for example. 

Anyway, these were the picks:

image.thumb.png.f2f0f1ec1f011df9a8f6e291611790d6.png 

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Fun video making a combined best XI for each group. I can take screenshots of the other groups if anyone is interested, but for now will just include group A, which is obviously of interest to us.

The rule was no more than 3 players per team, so you couldn't have 11 Argentines, for example. 

Anyway, these were the picks:

image.thumb.png.f2f0f1ec1f011df9a8f6e291611790d6.png 

Interesting idea. It's not immediately obvious, but the cap at 3 for a team ensures you will always have 3 from 3 teams and 2 from the other team. We weren't his 2 player team though!

I'm not suggesting this will be us (I don't think it will be), but with Group A and B staying on the same side of the knockout stage bracket, A2 is going to get to the quarter-final and still not have had to face any of Brazil, Uruguay, or Colombia.

45 minutes ago, Neil R. said:

I'm not suggesting this will be us (I don't think it will be), but with Group A and B staying on the same side of the knockout stage bracket, A2 is going to get to the quarter-final and still not have had to face any of Brazil, Uruguay, or Colombia.

Do we stand a chance at A2? I mean it's possible 

7 hours ago, Neil R. said:

They really should flip at some point, whether QF or SF. We could (and likely would if we make it that far) play Argentina again in the SF. Would rather play someone different than play the same team twice.