Match Thread (for non Canada games)

narduch

1 hour ago, Gian-Luca said:

Not going great for the Middle East on their home turf thus far. And 14 added minutes until the half 

Agreed. I mean, Iran is playing like an hour flight from home, majority of fans in the stands. Good qualifying campaign. Admirable boycotting of their anthem, whatever. Probably Iran was better vs. England than Qatar vs. Ecuador, but still, not competitive at all.

44 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Perhaps they should be filling up the empty seats with all the cardboard cut out fans that were being used in some stadiums during the pandemic 

If you look at quite a few UEFA finals, even Champions League, there are empty seats, often in the "best" sections. They reserve for their sponsors, executives, regional soccer association obligations (the CSA has dished out dozens of these in Qatar), or for perks, and those guys don't go, or hang out in the lounge boring each other over their gluten-free Negronis.

While fans are desperately scrambling for tix, already reduced to ridiculously low maximums. Also happens in national cup matches, but maybe not so glaring. 

What Qatar is perhaps lacking is the ability to absorb newly available tix from the local milieu. If you're in Athens or Glasgow, you can always find someone to grab your seats if you catch the flu or similar. If you just don't feel like it, your neighbour or a nephew will. I get the sense that Qatar is not like that. Obviously, if a bunch of Canadians have their visas revoked, or can't travel, no one there will be ready to jump on them, we assume all Canucks there have at least their tix. There are probably relatively few of those proverbial "English fans travelling without tickets". So we'll see gaps. 

9 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

What Qatar is perhaps lacking is the ability to absorb newly available tix from the local milieu. If you're in Athens or Glasgow, you can always find someone to grab your seats if you catch the flu or similar. If you just don't feel like it, your neighbour or a nephew will. I get the sense that Qatar is not like that. Obviously, if a bunch of Canadians have their visas revoked, or can't travel, no one there will be ready to jump on them, we assume all Canucks there have at least their tix. There are probably relatively few of those proverbial "English fans travelling without tickets". So we'll see gaps. 

I spent the 2018 World Cup in Berlin and I met quite a few people who caught last minute flights to Russia to catch games because they had a friend going, it was back in the day where you could grab a cheap RyanAir flight to Moscow and be back home within a few days without having had to shell out 2 months salary. One of the people in the group I was watching games with randomly didn't show up one night- we found out that she bought a ticket to a game in like Kazan or something and just took a yolo trip on a day or two's notice.

I don't think that is something we will see in Qatar. On the other hand, that's going to be such an underrated factor for the North American world cup. I'll have my tickets sorted out in advance, but most people living anywhere in North America can easily fly out on short notice if tickets go back on resale. You're in NYC, you can easily decide to take the train to Boston or Philly, or even Toronto to catch a game, same deal on the west coast too.

19 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I know we are supposed to want CONCACAF to do well to enhance the reputation of the region but there is no fucking way I can cheer for the US.  I would rather see Satan’s Select 11 win than them.  

Let’s go Wales! 

You mean the US isn’t Satan’s Select 11?