Match Thread (for non Canada games)

narduch

50 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

And a lot of people in the stands left their seats during the game in this one as well - albeit not to come down to the field but to leave the stadium altogether. 

Probably the most disgraceful thing, you host a World Cup, buy tickets and then whole sections empty out 10 min before the end. Not in extra time, 10 minutes. Very distasteful statement about what they know or think about the game, their team. I mean: at least stay in case you get to see your country's first goal? Nah, not even that.

28 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Probably the most disgraceful thing, you host a World Cup, buy tickets and then whole sections empty out 10 min before the end. Not in extra time, 10 minutes. Very distasteful statement about what they know or think about the game, their team. I mean: at least stay in case you get to see your country's first goal? Nah, not even that.

They've worked for over a decade to show they are deserving hosts and a "football nation" and then their true colours show.  Distasteful is kind of you, I think it was a disgrace. 

48 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Perhaps in their minds they consider that the game was already over so no point in staying even though I perfectly agree with everything you said

Wow so many soccer fans have a major in politics and culture. Yikes man enjoy the soccer for the next month. We rip on fans leaving the game 10 mins until the end of the match, but over here in many different sports we do the same. The leaf games for instance many seats are empty 5-10 mins in the beginning of each period and also before the end of the periods. With that logic should Toronto ever host a hockey event? Everyone ripping on not being able to have a drink during the game but even in my home country of Portugal I couldn’t buy an alcoholic beer for myself at the stadium of light (Benfica stadium).  For me personally I was so annoyed that when Brasil hosted the World Cup they bent over backwards to fifa and Budweiser to get rid of their own drinking laws in the stadium!! In many places around Europe you cannot drink at a soccer stadium and they seem fine and better for it!!

Everyone rips on the migrant issue and the laws against homosexuality. These are issues but they are also their laws and we have to respect that. When Qataris come to the west they have to respect our laws and traditions and we need to do the same. Whether you think they are right or wrong is your opinion but the west should not be the first to throw stones at the Middle East or anyone as we have our own messed up history and laws. You guys ok with the World Cup being played in the states in 4 years time? They have a history of invading countries just like Russia has done recently, they have crazy outdated laws just like Qatar, sure it’s against the law to display homosexual acts there but in the “most progressive” country in the world many states have outlawed abortion even when raped. Maybe we should take away Americas right to host. My point is just enjoy the soccer, if you want to politicize this event then join an organization and do something about it. Stop bitching like Duane Rollins whom I met many years ago with usector. Enjoy the football guys and may the best team win. Let’s hope for a great tournament. And enjoy Canada being involved for the first time in a generation. Sorry for the rant.

1 hour ago, AbuNuh said:

Wow so many soccer fans have a major in politics and culture. Yikes man enjoy the soccer for the next month. We rip on fans leaving the game 10 mins until the end of the match, but over here in many different sports we do the same. The leaf games for instance many seats are empty 5-10 mins in the beginning of each period and also before the end of the periods. With that logic should Toronto ever host a hockey event? Everyone ripping on not being able to have a drink during the game but even in my home country of Portugal I couldn’t buy an alcoholic beer for myself at the stadium of light (Benfica stadium).  For me personally I was so annoyed that when Brasil hosted the World Cup they bent over backwards to fifa and Budweiser to get rid of their own drinking laws in the stadium!! In many places around Europe you cannot drink at a soccer stadium and they seem fine and better for it!!

Everyone rips on the migrant issue and the laws against homosexuality. These are issues but they are also their laws and we have to respect that. When Qataris come to the west they have to respect our laws and traditions and we need to do the same. Whether you think they are right or wrong is your opinion but the west should not be the first to throw stones at the Middle East or anyone as we have our own messed up history and laws. You guys ok with the World Cup being played in the states in 4 years time? They have a history of invading countries just like Russia has done recently, they have crazy outdated laws just like Qatar, sure it’s against the law to display homosexual acts there but in the “most progressive” country in the world many states have outlawed abortion even when raped. Maybe we should take away Americas right to host. My point is just enjoy the soccer, if you want to politicize this event then join an organization and do something about it. Stop bitching like Duane Rollins whom I met many years ago with usector. Enjoy the football guys and may the best team win. Let’s hope for a great tournament. And enjoy Canada being involved for the first time in a generation. Sorry for the rant.

I agree Amen

2 hours ago, AbuNuh said:

People are making politics political, not the sport. Besides, when you sportwash like they're trying to, this is the outcome. 

The USA and Canada and Mexico will all rightly be scrutinized when our turn comes.  On the issues that you point out, that scrutiny is deserved.  But what you're saying is tantamount to "shut up and dribble" and it doesn't work that way. 

The "West" is open to scrutiny and it is culturally accepted. Our leaders don't have bubbles around them.  However in places where there are absolute leaders that's simply not the case.  And so because we accept the negative attention on ourselves, we can give it when deserved.

And in the meantime, remember that whataboutism is a fallacy.  

2 minutes ago, RJB said:

People are making politics political, not the sport. Besides, when you sportwash like they're trying to, this is the outcome. 

The USA and Canada and Mexico will all rightly be scrutinized when our turn comes.  On the issues that you point out, that scrutiny is deserved.  But what you're saying is tantamount to "shut up and dribble" and it doesn't work that way. 

The "West" is open to scrutiny and it is culturally accepted. Our leaders don't have bubbles around them.  However in places where there are absolute leaders that's simply not the case.  And so because we accept the negative attention on ourselves, we can give it when deserved.

And in the meantime, remember that whataboutism is a fallacy.  

It’s a waste of time, china hosted the olympics did it stop them from the garbage they do? Russia hosted the World Cup they had and still have issue with homosexuals in certain parts of Russia, do they still have that problem? And so on. You can scrutinize all hosts and all events. There is not one country that doesn’t have skeleton in their closets. Enjoy the soccer if you feel so bad for the people there then do something productive join amnesty international or something. With your thinking you couldn’t have a World Cup even ever!

41 minutes ago, AbuNuh said:

It’s a waste of time, china hosted the olympics did it stop them from the garbage they do? Russia hosted the World Cup they had and still have issue with homosexuals in certain parts of Russia, do they still have that problem? And so on. You can scrutinize all hosts and all events. There is not one country that doesn’t have skeleton in their closets. Enjoy the soccer if you feel so bad for the people there then do something productive join amnesty international or something. With your thinking you couldn’t have a World Cup even ever!

Congratulations.  You're doing exactly what the Qatar government was hoping people like you would do and why they wanted to host it in the first place.  Money well spent by them, I guess.

11 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Congratulations.  You're doing exactly what the Qatar government was hoping people like you would do and why they wanted to host it in the first place.  Money well spent by them, I guess.

The Qatari government could care less what people like I think. The spend over $300 billion to host hopefully a spectacular and successful world event. They know people are going to hate on them regardless.

8 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Are people memoryholeing the criticism of previous world cups? There was a lot said about the conditions in Russia and Brazil, and by all reports, the treatment of workers in Qatar is even worse. It’s not like people have suddenly woken up to FIFA’s corruption and how they chose their hosts yesterday.

Memoryholding? Did anyone criticize the Brazilian government for allowing alcoholic beverages be served during the games in the stadiums when they had laws to prohibit it because they had (and still have) a bad hooliganism problem. I don’t remember anyone bitching then. It’s ok for a country to put away their morals and laws in order for others to have the amenities they are accustomed to? Did the uk broadcaster of the Chinese olympics, Russian World Cup not show the opening ceremony of those events and have an episode of how terrible those places are instead? I’m fine with people hating on Qatar for certain reasons, I just feel this last little bit they are subjected to more scrutiny than those other events. Maybe it’s because of being from the Middle East who knows. All I know this is the first time in my lifetime I can cheer for Canada and all I read is how horrible a place Qatar is. I was so happy in march in bmo watching Canadá make it. It’s sometimes hard to focus on that with everything else.

15 minutes ago, AbuNuh said:

The Qatari government could care less what people like I think. The spend over $300 billion to host hopefully a spectacular and successful world event. They know people are going to hate on them regardless.

Memoryholding? Did anyone criticize the Brazilian government for allowing alcoholic beverages be served during the games in the stadiums when they had laws to prohibit it because they had (and still have) a bad hooliganism problem. I don’t remember anyone bitching then. It’s ok for a country to put away their morals and laws in order for others to have the amenities they are accustomed to? Did the uk broadcaster of the Chinese olympics, Russian World Cup not show the opening ceremony of those events and have an episode of how terrible those places are instead? I’m fine with people hating on Qatar for certain reasons, I just feel this last little bit they are subjected to more scrutiny than those other events. Maybe it’s because of being from the Middle East who knows. All I know this is the first time in my lifetime I can cheer for Canada and all I read is how horrible a place Qatar is. I was so happy in march in bmo watching Canadá make it. It’s sometimes hard to focus on that with everything else.

People did complain about how Brazil cleared favelas back when it happened, which was a major issue. People are upset about the no beers at the stadium because the decision was made like three days before the tournament instead of at any point in the last 12 years- an inconvenience for a lot of people travelling very far for a World Cup in a nation that has zero soccer culture. 

Not sure what you mean by the uk broadcast thing. I watched the opening ceremonies on a UK stream. It was fine.  

11 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

People did complain about how Brazil cleared favelas back when it happened, which was a major issue. People are upset about the no beers at the stadium because the decision was made like three days before the tournament instead of at any point in the last 12 years- an inconvenience for a lot of people travelling very far for a World Cup in a nation that has zero soccer culture. 

Not sure what you mean by the uk broadcast thing. I watched the opening ceremonies on a UK stream. It was fine.  

I had a friend mention their uk feed had a show regarding the terrible activities practiced in Qatar at the same time as the ceremony. Maybe it was a different channel. Also how surprised should someone who is travelling to Qatar be when they ban alcohol during the match? There are still places where you can drink in the country as far as what I read. In many football rich countries there are bans in stadiums also! I just feel there is a bigger hate on for Qatar. I’m not saying there was no hate on the other events but I feel Qatar it is much worst. It’s taking away from the football. People if they feel so bad for the people of these nations should join organizations that tackle such issues. The FIFA World Cup isn’t it. If you feel FIFA should be more political then you’re going to have to ban such countries as USA, Russia, Iran, Saudi Arabia and Israel to name a few. The point is that we should focus on the soccer because none of us is without faults so who are we to criticize others (not that we can actually do anything about it) the last I’ll touch about this is in Canada I’m in the trades and every so often we have workers who die also (yea we have better conditions but accidents still happen here) there are also companies here that hire non residents and also rip them off. In the states just yesterday there was a shooting in a gay club. My point is we have our own demons that we need to take care of before trying to educate others. And the FIFA World Cup isn’t the place for it. Let’s enjoy the soccer and hopefully see maybe a goal for Canada may a win or even progressing through the groups (one could dream).

1 hour ago, AbuNuh said:

They very much care what people think. That's literally why they're spending all that money, to convince you things aren't that bad. And it's working, as evidenced by you. That's why they bought Man City. It's why Saudi Arabia bought Newcastle. Read up on sports washing, because you're the target and it's working on you.

5 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

They very much care what people think. That's literally why they're spending all that money, to convince you things aren't that bad. And it's working, as evidenced by you. That's why they bought Man City. It's why Saudi Arabia bought Newcastle. Read up on sports washing, because you're the target and it's working on you.

They don’t need to buy a soccer team or event to convince me of anything. Whether they host a World Cup or buys soccer team has no bearing on my opinion of them, I have done some research on them and their way of life prior to even being awarded a World Cup to build up my opinion of their values.

Also with the same token they can buy those teams and events and still wouldn’t be able to convince others that things aren’t that bad. 

7 hours ago, Raven said:

Is anyone familiar with the On Demand option with TSN. I obviously catch watch every game live, but was wondering if they put up other sports games regularly (waiting time?) on the On Demand section.

I stream everything, no cable.

46 minutes ago, Kusch to the Corner said:

I don't know, but if anyone else does, I'd appreciate the info as well.

It looks like the Qatar-Ecudaor game is up, so clearly they were able to put it up less than 24 hours before. I'm not sure when exactly they put it up but I have to imagine they are prioritizing getting these games up ASAP. From previous experience they put TFC games up anywhere between 10-24 hours after they were aired.

12 minutes ago, AbuNuh said:

They don’t need to buy a soccer team or event to convince me of anything. Whether they host a World Cup or buys soccer team has no bearing on my opinion of them, I have done some research on them and their way of life prior to even being awarded a World Cup to build up my opinion of their values.

Also with the same token they can buy those teams and events and still wouldn’t be able to convince others that things aren’t that bad. 

You've made 6 posts on a soccer forum devoted to Canadian soccer, all defending the Qatari government. You're doing exactly what they hoped you'd do: spreading their message that "they're just misunderstood and everyone in the west should just layoff them".