General MLS Talk 2023

Big_M

21 hours ago, narduch said:

San Diego FC

Something I don't understand.

The reported expansion fee for San Diego was $500 million (!!).

How is this fee paid?  Surely the new owners didn't just hand over half a billion dollars to MLS, did they?

Would they, perhaps, arrange to pay, say, $50 million a year for 10 years?  That way, should the league go bust in the coming years, they wouldn't be out the complete $500 million?

I do not understand sports finance.

4 hours ago, Goal_Kick said:

How is this fee paid?  Surely the new owners didn't just hand over half a billion dollars to MLS, did they?

Would they, perhaps, arrange to pay, say, $50 million a year for 10 years?  That way, should the league go bust in the coming years, they wouldn't be out the complete $500 million?

That's usually a point of negotiation, but I think the full fee is usually due by the first game, or at minimum within the first year or so. They very definitely don't get to pay it out over 10 years - the current owners want their money ASAP.

7 hours ago, Goal_Kick said:

It's typically in a lump sum payment or two. The expansion team owner are usually required to provide a sort of down payment when submitting their bid and/or then pay milestone payment(s) before they start season 1.

The owners typically borrow some or all the money for the expansion fee/purchase as long it is within the league's maximum debt limit. For example, the NFL just increased the amount of debt allowed for new buyers from US$1.1b to $1.2b. The limit was only $500m a few years ago but needed to be raised to boost club valuations. Otherwise, the Washington Commanders couldn't have been sold for $6.05b over the summer as the controlling owner funded the purchase with $1.1b in secured debt along with $3.75b in equity.

So, in the end, the owner(s) do end up paying it off over X number of years.

Edited by red card

15 hours ago, RJB said:

Brand identity!!??  Why can't they just be a soccer club?

I don't think there's any new club anywhere that now launches as "just a club".  Not in MLS, not in the CPL, not anywhere.  Marketing must tell you the story of every shade of a new kit, the history of every symbol in the crest, the significance of the name. "FC = Football Club, and San Diego = San Diego. And this concludes our intensive 3 week seminar". 

image.png.47fec48e2361cc82ca17736f4450dbd1.png

On 10/18/2023 at 10:31 PM, BearcatSA said:

Did the free Apple MLS Pass access end with the penultimate round of regular season matches?  

Somewhat of a surprise. At least for match 1 of the playoffs, everything is free on Apple TV ex the play-ins (but listed as to be shown on TSN). Thereafter, no free matches but they likely haven't decided yet.

Free on Apple TV

Saturday ET
1700 Union v Revs
2000 LFC v Caps

Sunday
1800 Dynamo v RSL
2000 FCC v TBD
2200 STC v TBD

Monday
1900 ORL v NAS
2100 Sounders v FCD

Wednesday
1930 Crew v ATL

I'm reading further and see that the play-in is a single elimination with no extra time, followed by the next round which is best of three, then the next rounds are single elimination but with extra time if needed.  They just couldn't make up their mind! 😂

Just now, RJB said:

I'm reading further and see that the play-in is a single elimination with no extra time, followed by the next round which is best of three, then the next rounds are single elimination but with extra time if needed.  They just couldn't make up their mind! 😂

Even the best of 3 games have no extra time. They go straight to penalties 

On 10/23/2023 at 11:33 AM, red card said:

Somewhat of a surprise. At least for match 1 of the playoffs, everything is free on Apple TV ex the play-ins (but listed as to be shown on TSN). Thereafter, no free matches but they likely haven't decided yet.

Free on Apple TV

Saturday ET
1700 Union v Revs
2000 LFC v Caps

Sunday
1800 Dynamo v RSL
2000 FCC v TBD
2200 STC v TBD

Monday
1900 ORL v NAS
2100 Sounders v FCD

Wednesday
1930 Crew v ATL

Not on network TSN tonight, unless thet are on subscriber TSN+.

Edited by BearcatSA

7 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

Not on network TSN tonight, unless thet are on subscriber TSN+.

TSN doesn't have tonight's games.

They have a few games on the weekend.

They only have the 2nd leg of Vancouver v LAFC 

Edited by narduch

1 hour ago, narduch said:

TSN doesn't have tonight's games.

They have a few games on the weekend.

They only have the 2nd leg of Vancouver v LAFC 

It seems odd to me that they'd pick the Vancouver home match, where as if they picked the away match they'd have a bigger potential viewership (since most fans won't be at the away game).

1 minute ago, Watchmen said:

It seems odd to me that they'd pick the Vancouver home match, where as if they picked the away match they'd have a bigger potential viewership (since most fans won't be at the away game).

I don't think TSN picks the games. They take what Apple gives them

23 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

It's funny, TSN has the conference semi-finals (not sure if all four) but not the conference finals.  They show the MLS Cup, however.

fox isn't showing the conference finals either, i think apple want those exclusively as their big games since mls cup is simulcast on linear