General MLS Talk 2023

Big_M

1 hour ago, BearcatSA said:

So, can anyone tell me if the limited free access to MLS Season Pass on Apple continues with the playoffs?  And how much of the playoffs does TSN show?

When TSN/RDS announced their MLS schedule in February, they said 8 playoff games and MLS Cup will be shown on their channels.

MLS Cup will also be on Fox while select playoff games are likely on FS1 or 2.

Actual playoff schedule hasn't been released yet by MLS. 

he was gonna leave if they missed playoffs in any case...he failed at dc plain and simple...if he takes over at birmingham city there will be big pressure and expectations...john eustace had them in 6th this year after finishing 17th and 20th in the past couple seasons...fans are losing it...millions of views and thousands of comments on the eustace departure announcement

Does anyone else miss the Friday and Sunday night games?  I enjoyed watching the other teams, was a great opportunity to scout the league.  I feel it hurts the league and fans, I knew so much more about what was happening with other teams when the matches were spread out.  Perhaps it's also the amount of teams, it's just so hard do follow the sheer volume.

Strange decision considering even the NFL which is historically the most strict schedule wise sees the value of more game times, having added Sunday and Thursday night games on top of the occasional Sunday morning game from London.

On 10/9/2023 at 3:21 PM, costarg said:

Does anyone else miss the Friday and Sunday night games?  I enjoyed watching the other teams, was a great opportunity to scout the league.  I feel it hurts the league and fans, I knew so much more about what was happening with other teams when the matches were spread out.  Perhaps it's also the amount of teams, it's just so hard do follow the sheer volume.

Strange decision considering even the NFL which is historically the most strict schedule wise sees the value of more game times, having added Sunday and Thursday night games on top of the occasional Sunday morning game from London.

Frankly, I am pretty skeptical about the league's and Apple's numbers regarding the subscription service.  I haven't paid an additional cent on it, was able to see some more matches recently because they made several of them free, but overall have not watched nearly as much MLS as I did in the previous seasons because I could usually see only one Canadian team a week plus the one All-American affair.  So yeah, the ability to have more range of viewing days under the previous media deals is part of it.  Maybe the league could look into doing that again.  I am not sure if it would make a difference in my getting a subscription next season, but it might for some.  So I don't see how it doesn't hurt the league.  Then they landed Messi...so we'll see how that goes for a whole season, start to finish.   

With streaming, there seems (and I emphasize  "seems") to be a backlash in the States against the increasing fees associated with getting coverage of your favourite pro or college sports.  SI's Jimmy Traina in his column Traina Thoughts and his SI Media podcasts has apparently brought this up a number of times, as well as other sport media observers.  Viewers will fork out for their passionate choices, but the lesser ranked ones?  There is a lot of competition out there for your recreation dollar and time, sports viewing in person or on tv/online being but one. 

14 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

Then they landed Messi...so we'll see how that goes for a whole season, start to finish.   

I'm wondering how much they're going to charge for the Season Pass next season.

This first year it was around $140 Canadian.  Next season, with Messi, who knows.

2 hours ago, Goal_Kick said:

I'm wondering how much they're going to charge for the Season Pass next season.

This first year it was around $140 Canadian.  Next season, with Messi, who knows.

I believe season ticket holders will still get free access. At least for next season again 

20 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

Viewers will fork out for their passionate choices, but the lesser ranked ones?  There is a lot of competition out there for your recreation dollar and time, sports viewing in person or on tv/online being but one. 

Yeah, this is the thing.  You used to have limited viewing choice, but what you got was free (as in, bundled with cable).  Now, you have much more freedom to watch specifically what you want but you have to pay for it directly.  If you already know what you want, it's great.  But because we're watching what we're already interested in, it's much harder for something new to break in.

23 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Yeah, this is the thing.  You used to have limited viewing choice, but what you got was free (as in, bundled with cable).  Now, you have much more freedom to watch specifically what you want but you have to pay for it directly.  If you already know what you want, it's great.  But because we're watching what we're already interested in, it's much harder for something new to break in.

It's just part of the cycle of what people pay attention to when nothing has your attention.

70 years ago, North Americans went to theatres without really knowing what they'll be watching. Then post 1970s, people switched on their tvs without too much intent on what they'll be watching. Likewise, for many sports fans, up until about a decade ago, a sports network was a destination network as they weren't too fussed about what was on.

Today, people turn to social media platforms when nothing has their attention. The u20 crowd spends 90 mins/day on tik tok relying on an algo to discover things. Also driven by algos, Youtube isn't too far behind in viewing minutes for the younger set. In the US, 8% of overall viewing is on Youtube which tops all streamers as streaming became the most watched tv-format as of August.

What media companies used to dominate has been taken over by tech. 

Edited by red card

1 hour ago, red card said:

It's just part of the cycle of what people pay attention to when nothing has your attention.

70 years ago, North Americans went to theatres without really knowing what they'll be watching. Then post 1970s, people switched on their tvs without too much intent on what they'll be watching. Likewise, for many sports fans, up until about a decade ago, a sports network was a destination network as they weren't too fussed about what was on.

Today, people turn to social media platforms when nothing has their attention. The u20 crowd spends 90 mins/day on tik tok relying on an algo to discover things. Also driven by algos, Youtube isn't too far behind in viewing minutes for the younger set. In the US, 8% of overall viewing is on Youtube which tops all streamers as streaming became the most watched tv-format as of August.

What media companies used to dominate has been taken over by tech. 

Certainly, but that doesn't necessarily help the situation.  The algorithm pushes you to things you're already interested in, it doesn't necessarily introduce you to things you aren't.  And the u20 crowd is getting more and more used to watching highlights only (across all sports), which doesn't necessarily help a specialty network.

Some info from the MLS website on tiebreakers:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/tiebreakers-for-the-2023-mls-regular-season-standings

MLSsoccer staff
Tuesday, Oct 17, 2023, 07:52 AM

When Decision Day unfolds this Saturday (Oct. 21), fans will closely watch the standings to determine where teams finish.

If teams are tied on points after their 34-game regular season, the below tiebreakers are implemented to determine 1) seeding and 2) qualification for the Audi 2023 MLS Cup Playoffs.

TIEBREAKING PROCEDURES

In the event that two or more teams finish the regular season with an equal number of points, the following tiebreakers will be used.

Total number of wins
Goal Differential (GD)
Goals For (GF)
Fewest Disciplinary Points* per match
Away Goals Differential
Away Goals For
Home Goals Differential
Home Goals For
Coin Toss (tie of two clubs) or Drawing of Lots (tie of three or more clubs)
After a winner of the MLS regular season tiebreaker is determined, any clubs that remain tied from the first round of tiebreaker shall go through a second round of the MLS regular season tiebreaker procedures in order to determine team standings.

The MLS regular season tiebreaker protocol will continue until the final team standings have been determined.

DISCIPLINARY POINTS

Foul - 1 Point
Technical Staff Warnings - 2 Points
Yellow Card - 3 Points
Second Yellow Card - 7 Points
Straight Red Card - 7 Points
When an individual receives a second yellow card, the club will receive a maximum of seven points total.

*A club can only receive a maximum of seven points for any individual incident.