2023 Voyageurs Cup

5 hours ago, Watchmen said:

So, apparently Vancouver FC has elected not to host any Canadian Championship games this year?

On the coverage of the draw last night the OneSoccer crew said that hypothetical game would be in Langley. The first home game of the season they have is on May 7th, so presumably they believe the stadium will be ready by then. The potential Vancouver vs Vancouver game would be May 9-11, so afterwards. I believe they would host that game. I think someone got it wrong, it is only the preliminary round that Vancouver FC won't be ready to host.

I love this tournament and am looking forward to the games.  I'm a bit disappointed in how the draw shook out, though.

The Montreal-Vaughan match is perhaps statistically interesting as the first ever MLS-D3 matchup but doesn't hold much interest as a match - especially since it's being played in Montreal.  A CPL-D3 matchup holds more chance for an interesting upset.

In the same light, I'm disappointed to see a (almost certain) TFC-Montreal quarter final.  These two teams usually end up meeting at some point in the tournament but a clash this early just reduces the opportunities for the more interesting CPL-MLS contests.

Vaughan and Laval were kept in a separate pot until one of the bigger Eastern teams was drawn out to cross over to be in the Western pot (turned out to be York United) then their fishbowl was dumped into the Eastern pot.   That saved those two teams the $$$ of having to travel out west.  

Because the tournament is so early in the year (because of Gold Cup, Nations Cup, and the new  MLS vs Mexico Leagues Cup starting in July) seven of the twelve preliminary round teams turned down a chance to host because of 'stadium availability and weather conditions'.   

On 2/1/2023 at 8:01 AM, Cheeta said:

Did go on for a bit on the broadcast about Valour away to Rovers at Swangard.  That's going to be cool.  Maybe not the best football, maybe it'll be awesome, we'll see but nice to have a V's Cup knockout match there.   For us dinosaurs anyway.

Exactly. I'm planning to be there for exactly those reasons.

Here we go. Looking forward to the double header at York on April 19. That will be fun. 

Preliminary Round Schedule

Tuesday, April 18

Forge FC v FC Laval
7 p.m. ET/4 p.m. PT
Tim Hortons Field, Hamilton

CF Montréal v Vaughan SC
7 p.m. ET/4 p.m. PT
Stade Saputo, Montréal

Wednesday, April 19

HFX Wanderers FC v Atlético Ottawa
5 p.m. ET/2 p.m. PT
York Lions Stadium, Toronto

York United FC v Vancouver FC
8 p.m. ET/5 p.m. PT
York Lions Stadium

TSS Rovers FC v Valour FC
10:30 p.m. ET/7 :30 p.m. PT
Swangard Stadium, Burnaby

Thursday, April 20

Pacific FC v Cavalry FC
10 p.m. ET/7 p.m. PT
Starlight Stadium, Langford

3 minutes ago, Kingston said:

How is the CSA throwing the domestic cup under the bus?

It's being rushed for the league cup. D3 clubs season will not even have been started at that point.

We'll witness so atrocious football - not a great way to grow the fanbase.

Edited by Ansem

2 hours ago, Big_M said:

its a way to get more ppl in seats...we saw last year that ottawa fans were willing to go to york in good numbers...but will they do it again on a 5pm wednesday kickoff?

It is a double header, I know they said HFX's stadium would not be available for the opening round, did not see TD Place on this list, so what is the story of it being played at York? Regardless looking forward to the double header. Easy trip on the TTC  for me.  Almost takes the same time as it does to get to BMO. 

5 hours ago, Ansem said:

It's being rushed for the league cup. D3 clubs season will not even have been started at that point.

We'll witness so atrocious football - not a great way to grow the fanbase.

Same thing happened for the PDL/USL 2 teams with the US Open Cup, some pulled out of it because of it. Should have played at least the Semi-Finals and Finals in the fall like what the US Open Cup is also doing. 

10 hours ago, Cblake said:

Same thing happened for the PDL/USL 2 teams with the US Open Cup, some pulled out of it because of it. Should have played at least the Semi-Finals and Finals in the fall like what the US Open Cup is also doing. 

That's interesting that the US Open Cup is playing their finals in late September. According to this interview with Dino Rossi "The calendar is also an issue, with the tournament needing to be wrapped up by August ‘because of CONCACAF rules,’ of course referring to qualification for the region’s Champions League."

https://northerntribune.ca/league1-canada-growth-rossi-interview/

Something doesn't add up. As far as I know the 2023 US Open champs are planned to be in the 2024 CONCACAF Champions League. But if what Rossi says is correct, it would seem to indicate the 2023 US Open champs would have to wait for the 2025 CCL.

3 minutes ago, Kent said:

That's interesting that the US Open Cup is playing their finals in late September. According to this interview with Dino Rossi "The calendar is also an issue, with the tournament needing to be wrapped up by August ‘because of CONCACAF rules,’ of course referring to qualification for the region’s Champions League."

https://northerntribune.ca/league1-canada-growth-rossi-interview/

Something doesn't add up. As far as I know the 2023 US Open champs are planned to be in the 2024 CONCACAF Champions League. But if what Rossi says is correct, it would seem to indicate the 2023 US Open champs would have to wait for the 2025 CCL.

Also the MLS champs won't be known until November either.

In fact I believe the Voyageurs Cup winner will be the 1st team to qualify for the 2024 CCL

Edited by narduch

1 hour ago, narduch said:

Also the MLS champs won't be known until November either.

In fact I believe the Voyageurs Cup winner will be the 1st team to qualify for the 2024 CCL

Not the first in the entire CCL. According to the wiki page Toluca and maybe Pachuca seem to have already qualified.

3 minutes ago, Kent said:

Not the first in the entire CCL. According to the wiki page Toluca and maybe Pachuca seem to have already qualified.

Thanks. So the 2022 Apertura champs and runner up make it I guess.

I don't think Concacaf has even released how the Caribbean and Central American qualifying tournaments will work yet.

Sort of sounds like the CSA may have lied to Rossi. They probably need to finish by August to appease the 3 MLS clubs. Not because the rep needed to be decided by then.

I will admit the June Nations League and then the Gold Cup made the scheduling a bit harder but there is no reason the CSA couldn't have started this in mid May and have the final in July (right before Leagues Cup starts) or September.

20 hours ago, Ansem said:

It's being rushed for the league cup.

I'm not sure that's true.

The V-Cup will be over by June 8.  The first League's Cup games are July 21.  Even if avoiding the Leagues Cup was on the CSA's radar, there's a month and a half they still had to work with.

So perhaps the CSA is messing up but blaming it on the Leagues Cup doesn't seem to be correct.