2023 Voyageurs Cup

On 1/29/2023 at 9:11 PM, SthMelbRed said:

This is wrong. When the Voyageurs' Cup was started, all of the Canadian pro clubs were playing in the same league. It was a larger, American league, though.

We also bought and awarded the Voyageurs Cup for the women for a few years.

I love it when people make up BS with no knowledge of history and are fine throwing Voyageurs legacy into the toilet at nothing.

2 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Did I hear right that Match 5 (HFX Wanderers and Atletico Ottawa) will be played a neutral site?

From here: https://canpl.ca/article/2023-canchamp-draw-what-you-need-to-know-pots-dates-venue-availability-more

"Halifax Wanderers, Valour FC, Cavalry FC and Vancouver FC would not be able to host in the preliminary round of Canadian Championship play because of stadium availability and weather considerations."

Both of my teams (York United and TFC) are lined up for a possible match against an MLS team in the quarter finals. I went to the York 9 vs Montreal Impact game back in 2019 (geez, both teams have changed their names since then). It was great fun back then, it would be great fun to have the Whitecaps come to York's home turf. Hopefully YU can get it done against the other Vancouver team.

Perspective as a Montreal Impact fan: 

It isn't ideal but I don't hate it. No offense meant to Vaughan but its definitely pretty lopsided and a lot of the starters are probably gonna be able to take a day off on that one. The game against TFC has a good chance of being the final before the final but that was gonna be a thing no matter what unless MTL was sent to play in the west.

If we win then awesome, we keep going and stand rather a clear favorite against anyone who isn't the Whitecaps, and even against them I'd be on MTL. If not then at least we won't have extra games congesting an already pretty well-filled schedule with the Leagues Cup (I dislike the competition as much as anyone but space on the calendar is space on the calendar) and MLS for a trophy and a place in CCL we weren't fatted to get this year. 

Either way, better to take care of that game early. Obviously, I'd rather we play that one in Saputo Stadium but I am not too fuzzed about BMO. We essentially ended their hopes of playoffs last year, we can beat them there again :)

Perspective as a Athletico Ottawa fan:

Ish.... 

I don't hate playing the first round against the Wanderers but playing Forge next round definitely isn't great. I don't exactly fancy our changes against TFC either and I'd obviously rather avoid my two teams facing :P

General impressions:

Is it just me or did this look a bit cheap and amateurish? Like, really, how much would it have costed to have a proper drawing ceremony, with a big table showing everything, and invite all the media instead of just doing it in OneSoccer's studio?

Edited by phil03

CPL will start their season and already playing midweek games.

L1 clubs will not have started yet... yikes.

1 MLS club will be a month and a half into its season, the other 2 entering a month later.

Everything must be resolved by beginning of June... so we can free up space on MLS schedule for the League Cup

Never change Canada Soccer

jeff goldblum chuckle GIF

54 minutes ago, Kent said:

Just confirmed what I thought with the schedule. Vancouver FC and York United will play 2 games in a week in York Lions Stadium. First round of the V Cup somewhere in April 18-20, then a league game on April 22nd.

I noticed that too.  

Still wondering why Vaughan couldn't have a chance to have a home game.  I know North Maple Regional Park doesn't have the size nor facilities to host but GTA L1O teams default to the Ontario Soccer Centre.  Vaughan did it in 2019 in their home and away against HFX.  McNaughton Turf where they played back then would have been worse with even less seats and a busy roadway between the field and the dressing rooms. 

26 minutes ago, Ansem said:

1 MLS club will be a month and a half into its season, the other 2 entering a month later.

Everything must be resolved by beginning of June... so we can free up space on MLS schedule for the League Cup

Agreed. This is bullshit from the CSA bending over backwards to appease the 3 MLS clubs so they can play in that plastic new tournament.

Easy solution could have been to push this back 1 month and play the final in mid July.

2 hours ago, Ansem said:

The Leagues Cup doesn't start until late July.  The Voyageurs Cup could have been pushed back to start in May without impacting the MLS teams at all.

3 hours ago, Kent said:

From here: https://canpl.ca/article/2023-canchamp-draw-what-you-need-to-know-pots-dates-venue-availability-more

"Halifax Wanderers, Valour FC, Cavalry FC and Vancouver FC would not be able to host in the preliminary round of Canadian Championship play because of stadium availability and weather considerations."

In the preliminary round?

So if Vancouver wins the preliminary round will they be playing Vancouver in Vancouver?