Match Thread: July 10, 2022 - Valour v HFX Wanderers

Felt like Ascanio looked really good and played with a lot more pace than we usually see. Could help the team move offensively which we’ve really needed at times this year. 

Akio doing his best to not get transferred I guess. 

Outside of those two, the crowd was significantly larger today. First time all year I had to line up to get in. Thought it might have been youth teams but there was less Timbits playing at half time than usual (1 game vs 3) which is a nice thing to see. Hopefully a sign of things to come. 

Edited by Wippersuna

4 hours ago, gwsmith63 said:

Has Akio been interviewed to give an explanation of what he was thinking?  Or not thinking?

An explanation is needed. I know they still won, but everyone is going to assume match fixing.

15 hours ago, gwsmith63 said:

Has Akio been interviewed to give an explanation of what he was thinking?  Or not thinking?

The 500 lb gorilla in the room explanation has now been mentioned. Think it's something the league has to be seen to actively investigate if they are going align themselves with sports betting sponsors. Have been watching, playing and/or coaching soccer regularly since the late 1960s and have never seen anything like that before.

I think he just had a brain fart and thought he was clearing it off his own line, shit happens you see it in other sports as well, of course the match fixing conspiracies will arise especially from everyone who likes to shit on this league but really if that was the case do you think a player would be so blatantly obvious with their actions?

46 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Might be credible if he was a centre back caught massively out of position, but he's not so that's not something the player in question is in any way used to doing during a game.

He never defends corners or has to play in his own 3rd? I am not defending what he did, it has brought bad publicity to the league (over 8 million views on twitter) but I am not convinced this is match fixing, it is just too blatant if it was!

Edited by gator

Akio is a good player who has largely driven Valour's offense since signing last year. He will be greatly missed when he inevitably moves on to a better league. 

People love to gravitate to fuck ups like the one Akio made yesterday. The people who do didn't care about CPL around a week ago and won't care about CPL a week from now. Or perhaps this is the end of the league as it spirals towards a lawless mess of match fixing to prop up dying teams I dunno...

48 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

All I've said is that it's something the league should be seen to investigate at this point because of the optics. I'm not convinced either way. As mentioned on another thread check out what happened with the Brantford Galaxy in the CSL, if you think something completely blatant could never happen.

You're right because if you look up William Akio right now there are dozens of articles like this:

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/canadian-premier-league-worst-miss-27446496

They're everywhere😖

In a social media world and in the context where many whine CPL doesn't get mainstream attention, this publicity is good. 8.6+ million views aren't easy to come by.

Match fixing comments are nothing new on twitter. Valour's social media is taking the right tone with it. At least Jenkins was actually calling the play rather than rambling about something not happening on the pitch. Too bad more people weren't in the stands but at least the shadows covered it up a bit.

15 minutes ago, red card said:

In a social media world and in the context where many whine CPL doesn't get mainstream attention, this publicity is good. 8.6+ million views aren't easy to come by.

Match fixing comments are nothing new on twitter. Valour's social media is taking the right tone with it. At least Jenkins was actually calling the play rather than rambling about something not happening on the pitch. Too bad more people weren't in the stands but at least the shadows covered it up a bit.

Agree with everything above. As for the crowd, I haven't seen a number announced yet but I wouldn't be surprised if this was the largest attendance for a Valour home game this season. Once the clouds cleared it was an oven in the stands so many were hanging out in the further-back shaded seats or on the concourse for much of the game.

22 minutes ago, red card said:

Take the press!  Take it!

Those Valour whites are outstanding by the way.

10 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Agree with everything above. As for the crowd, I haven't seen a number announced yet but I wouldn't be surprised if this was the largest attendance for a Valour home game this season. Once the clouds cleared it was an oven in the stands so many were hanging out in the further-back shaded seats or on the concourse for much of the game.

Biggest crowd by 500 I'd say. People forget that half the lower bowl af IG is at least 10K in seating (maybe even 11?). So a crowd of 3 to 4K looks tiny, especially when many hang around in the concourse like you said. My guess for this game would have to be 3.5 to 3.7K. True summer months, "nice" weather and free beer for supporters i hear?