2022 Voyageurs Cup

Whitecaps have home games through the whole tournament. Luckily the team that ended up with a path with no potential home games is the team that opted to not host any games (Mont-Royal Outremont). My CPL team (York United) can't host before the final, the only team to have that distinction.

Edited by Kent
I had an extra "home". Now removed.

9 minutes ago, narduch said:

Pacific, HFX and Forge last year.

Thanks.

To answer my own question York (Montreal), Cavalry (Whitecaps and Montreal), and USL Ottawa (Toronto) all hosted MLS teams in 2019. That tournament had two-legged ties in each round.

So Valour and Edmonton are the only CPL cities not to host an MLS team recently, though the Eddies will have done so in the Cup during their USL days.

Edited by jonovision

3 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

An important part of this tweet is that the club actually references the Voyageurs Cup.  Far too often, I only see them mention "The Canadian Championship".

Is it just me or is the o, g, and e in Voyageurs a different font? Looks like an old school randsom note.

16 minutes ago, Kent said:

Whitecaps have home games through the whole tournament. Luckily the team that ended up with a path with no home potential home games is the team that opted to not host any games (Mont-Royal Outremont). My CPL team (York United) can't host before the final, the only team to have that distinction.

Actually, Cavalry have home games (if they win) throughout the tournament.  I don't know where the graphic came from, but The Whitecaps/Valour game was drawn as away for the quarters, not home.

Edited by Trois Reds

15 minutes ago, Kent said:

Whitecaps have home games through the whole tournament. Luckily the team that ended up with a path with no potential home games is the team that opted to not host any games (Mont-Royal Outremont). My CPL team (York United) can't host before the final, the only team to have that distinction.

The graph is misleading.  Match 1 winner (Whitecaps or Valour) is on the road for the quarters, then home the rest of the way.

5 hours ago, masster said:

With Toronto and Montreal being on the same side of the bracket, there is a real chance that a CPL team can make the final (and host). The Whitecaps have 3 chances to slip up, although 2 of those potential games would be at home.

As a TFC fan, I was disappointed to see the potential Toronto-Montreal semi.  I like the rivalry but, as the tournament continues to expand, I look forward to a little more variety in opponents.

Quite aside from what it would mean for later rounds of the tournament, and as much as I really like Halifax, I'm cheering for Guelph to pull the upset.  I've been impressed with Guelph's outlook and organization in L1O.  It would be great for them to achieve the first ever D3 upset win in the Canadian Championship and reward their fans.

2 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

In the broadcast they made the claim that TFC have won the most followed by Montreal. How do Montreal fans feel about that?

The angle they likely are using is that not all voyageurs Cup wins count as Canadian Championships.

That's not an angle, it's just a fact.  TFC have won the most Canadian Championships with seven.  Montreal have won the most Voyageurs' Cups with eleven (of which six predate the Canadian Championship).  We sometimes call the Canadian Championship the Voyageurs' Cup as a bit of short hand, but one is actually the tournament and the other is actually the trophy.

I really like that we have a trophy that predates our current tournament.  It gives a story and a little bit of history to soccer in Canada, which is not something we have a lot of.

20 hours ago, narduch said:

This might be the perfect year for a CPL club to win the tournament. 

All 3 MLS clubs are off to slow starts. 

Well a CPL team will have two kicks at the can for winning a VCup, Forge in the 2020 edition and any of the 8 sides in the 2022 tournament. Will be interesting. 

20 hours ago, Cblake said:

Well a CPL team will have two kicks at the can for winning a VCup, Forge in the 2020 edition and any of the 8 sides in the 2022 tournament. Will be interesting. 

If Forge wins the 2020 edition, go ahead and slap an asterisk on it.  I believe a CPL team will win it one day, but that shouldn't be the one that really gets counted as the CPL winning it.

More for the 2023 edition, but I don't want to start a thread for that yet. Listening to AFTN (last 10 min roughly) they discuss the draw for this year. But, mentions that it doesn't sound like L1BC will have an entrance in to the Cup next year. CSA wants more teams in the league (and possibly a longer season) before granting the spot. Which is disappointing.

https://aftn.ca/episode-503-the-aftn-soccer-show/

1 hour ago, Watchmen said:

If Forge wins the 2020 edition, go ahead and slap an asterisk on it.  I believe a CPL team will win it one day, but that shouldn't be the one that really gets counted as the CPL winning it.

I'm putting an asterisk on this one no matter who wins it.  But I do agree that it would feel lessened if this was the way a CPL team won for the first time.