2022 Voyageurs Cup

1 hour ago, Watchmen said:

More for the 2023 edition, but I don't want to start a thread for that yet. Listening to AFTN (last 10 min roughly) they discuss the draw for this year. But, mentions that it doesn't sound like L1BC will have an entrance in to the Cup next year. CSA wants more teams in the league (and possibly a longer season) before granting the spot. Which is disappointing.

https://aftn.ca/episode-503-the-aftn-soccer-show/

Disappointing and also surprising.  The PLSQ only had seven teams when they got their first entry.  Way to undercut L1BC!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

I agree but it's tough for the Div III clubs to be overly picky about the facilities they play in. 

For sure. Still makes it a tough watch.

6 minutes ago, narduch said:

And if they upset the Wanderers they will host TFC there too.

I'd give Guelph a decent chance of upsetting HFX based on what I've seen from the Wanderers so far this year.

4 hours ago, RS said:

Gross. The pitch is extremely narrow, too.

I took to getting used to watching the Guelph ECFC match last night, the side line as actually the outer edge of the football line. was hard some times to tell when they went out of bounds, especially on the far side. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm hyped up. Got my York United 9 jersey on. I wish I could watch the Guelph vs HFX game live, but it collides with York vs Ottawa. I'm not sure who I want to win in the games involving L1O and PLSQ teams. I want to see signs of growth for those leagues, so it would be cool to see them upset a CPL team, but I don't want CPL teams to be left open for comments like "LOL, CPL teams can't even beat amateur teams".

13 hours ago, Kingston said:

If Valour were to upset the Whitecaps in the first round, five CPL teams would face only other CPL teams all the way to the final.

All due respect to the Forge-TFC "2020 Cup Final" this June, this would feel like the real first final for the CPL.  Earned the traditional way, not gifted a spot in the final by the CSA.   I suppose many might say only playing the Whitecaps is gifting a spot in the final, but at least that was done the traditional way. 😉

10 hours ago, Watchmen said:

All due respect to the Forge-TFC "2020 Cup Final" this June, this would feel like the real first final for the CPL.  Earned the traditional way, not gifted a spot in the final by the CSA.   I suppose many might say only playing the Whitecaps is gifting a spot in the final, but at least that was done the traditional way. 😉

Yes, whoever wins the 2020 version, it gets a big asterisk in my book.  (For that reason alone, I hope TFC wins because I don't want the first ever CPL winner to win by short cut; it would cheapen the experience.)

23 hours ago, Kent said:

I want to see signs of growth for those leagues, so it would be cool to see them upset a CPL team, but I don't want CPL teams to be left open for comments like "LOL, CPL teams can't even beat amateur teams".

It will happen eventually.  I wouldn't worry about anyone (other than humourously) slagging the CPL as a result.  It will more like "hey, good on that L1O team for getting the upset!". 

MLS teams lose to non-MLS teams in the Canadian Championship and the US Open Cup without jeopardizing the status of the league.

(Unless my team's rival were to lose to a lower tier team - then they totally suck!)

Edited by Kingston

8 hours ago, Califax said:

So... big question that some of you fellow trivia nerds will immediately know

Is this the first meeting of Stephen Hart and Bob Bradley since "Atiba was onside?"

Cause if so, im bringing a banner. 

https://www.tsn.ca/toronto-fc-s-jacob-shaffelburg-relishes-canadian-championship-game-in-nova-scotia-1.1798266

I think a “Free Shaffelburg” banner would be cool.

Edited by Lurker

Stat of the day. York United and HFX Wanderers are the only CPL teams to not ever be knocked out by a CPL team. HFX got knocked out by Ottawa Fury in 2019, and CF Montreal in 2021. York United got knocked out by Montreal Impact in 2019, and Toronto FC in 2021.

York United have knocked out FC Edmonton in 2019 and Atletico Ottawa in 2022. HFX Wanders have knocked out Valour in 2019.

In case you are wondering how this can happen, HFX has played a D3 team in the first round all 3 tournaments, and York United/9 have played a D3 team 2 out of 3 years (this year being the exception).