2022 Voyageurs Cup

1 hour ago, narduch said:

Pretty sure they will doctor the draw again and Guelph will draw York

Likely.  And I'm not sure I'd even consider a geographically logical bracket as "doctoring" in a negative sense.

Even so, most L1O teams operate on a budget in the $100 000 or $150 000 range.  $10 000 for Guelph for one game is a big deal for them.  And for any D3 team, if they do win games, they're eventually going to have to face crippling travel costs.

It's not end of the world, but it is an obstacle to the CSA increasing the D3/amateur content in the tournament.

1 minute ago, Kingston said:

Likely.  And I'm not sure I'd even consider a geographically logical bracket as "doctoring" in a negative sense.

Even so, most L1O teams operate on a budget in the $100 000 or $150 000 range.  $10 000 for Guelph for one game is a big deal for them.  And for any D3 team, if they do win games, they're eventually going to have to face crippling travel costs.

It's not end of the world, but it is an obstacle to the CSA increasing the D3/amateur content in the tournament.

I believe Guelph has been pushing to host the match so they must be willing to spend that $10k

Little frustrated that last year the Byes were awarded based on league play and this year Byes seem to be awarded based on...well, not league play for MLS at least. I get that the tournament is evolving with new teams being added, but at least pick a method of entry and stick with it or announce changes in advance. Really just looks like they wait to see what TFC did last year.

Would be nice to have some explanation of the pots in the article, even if the intention seems clear.

Selfishly, I'd like Valour to draw Edmonton (best chance to advance) or home to Whitecaps (Valour are one of the only CPL teams yet to face an MLS side).

Edited by jonovision

1 hour ago, jonovision said:

Would be nice to have some explanation of the pots in the article, even if the intention seems clear.

Selfishly, I'd like Valour to draw Edmonton (best chance to advance) or home to Whitecaps (Valour are one of the only CPL teams yet to face an MLS side).

I'm not opposed to the first round being regional, but I'm also glad there's a proper draw for it as well. 

3 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Little frustrated that last year the Byes were awarded based on league play and this year Byes seem to be awarded based on...well, not league play for MLS at least. I get that the tournament is evolving with new teams being added, but at least pick a method of entry and stick with it or announce changes in advance. Really just looks like they wait to see what TFC did last year.

With regards to the byes...

In 2019 they determined byes by results in the 2018 Voyageurs Cup (TFC won, so they started later than everyone else, Montreal, Vancouver, and Ottawa were in it, and they all got byes). Valour, Forge, and Edmonton got byes over the newer clubs for de-facto being signed up for the Voyageurs Cup earlier, since they were founded a year (or more) earlier.

In 2020 there were no Voyageurs Cup games due to the pandemic but Forge and TFC qualified for the final. The first and final game will be played in 3 months time.

In 2021 Forge and TFC were given byes for making the 2020 final. They needed one more bye so they gave it to Montreal based on them making the final in 2019 (not based on league play).

In 2022 Montreal and TFC get byes based on making the final. For the first time, a team is given a bye based on league play with Pacific getting a bye based on winning the CPL.

I do agree though that it would be better if we knew how teams would qualify for byes before the determining results are known. Even if they gave us a tentative formula dependent on the presumed number of teams, like say next year we assume 8 CPL, 3 MLS, 1 L1O, 1 PLSQ, and 1 L1BC, tell us your idea for that. If we end up with a new CPL team, then give us a revision (or if that can be done ahead of time, even better).

7 minutes ago, Kent said:

In 2019 they determined byes by results in the 2018 Voyageurs Cup (TFC won, so they started later than everyone else, Montreal, Vancouver, and Ottawa were in it, and they all got byes). Valour, Forge, and Edmonton got byes over the newer clubs for de-facto being signed up for the Voyageurs Cup earlier, since they were founded a year (or more) earlier.

In 2020 there were no Voyageurs Cup games due to the pandemic but Forge and TFC qualified for the final. The first and final game will be played in 3 months time.

In 2021 Forge and TFC were given byes for making the 2020 final. They needed one more bye so they gave it to Montreal based on them making the final in 2019 (not based on league play).

In 2022 Montreal and TFC get byes based on making the final. For the first time, a team is given a bye based on league play with Pacific getting a bye based on winning the CPL.

I do agree though that it would be better if we knew how teams would qualify for byes before the determining results are known. Even if they gave us a tentative formula dependent on the presumed number of teams, like say next year we assume 8 CPL, 3 MLS, 1 L1O, 1 PLSQ, and 1 L1BC, tell us your idea for that. If we end up with a new CPL team, then give us a revision (or if that can be done ahead of time, even better).

Just curious where you saw this?  Because the initial report did not mention at all how 2022 was determined, and it would have been very easy to let everyone know that was the criteria last year.

1 hour ago, Kent said:

I am not too worried about this because in 2023 you will have at least 14 teams in the tournament. At this point I would just and find a way to get it to 16. If there is a CPL expansion team in say Vancouver, you would just have to figure out a 16th team. If you did not have a 9th CPL team you would sift Edm or Calgary to the Pacific group and shuffle around the other groups if the 16th team was a second L1O entry. It would be regional draws within your groups, which is essentially what the US Open Cup does too. 

West 

Pacific 

Whitecaps

Pacific

Lower Mainland CPL

L1BC

Midwest

Edmonton

Cavalry

Valvour

EAST

Ontario

Toronto FC

York 

Forge

L10

East

Montreal

Ottawa 

Halifax

PLSQ

16 hours ago, Kent said:

Also interesting that, if I'm understanding things correctly, one of the D3 teams is guaranteed to make the quarter finals while everyone else has to beat a CPL or MLS team to get there.  Another of the little quirks to make the bracket work, I guess.

Or is that not how Pot 3 works?

Edited by Kingston

7 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

So the hissyfits over byes for MLS rather than previous cup performance were premature and as I initially suspected the journalist from Guelph had simply got that one detail wrong.

Everybody here already knows that you have soccerball all figured out and we should just defer to your infinite knowledge but it is appreciated that you keep reminding us on an almost daily basis. Keep up the good work. 👏

2 hours ago, Kingston said:

Also interesting that, if I'm understanding things correctly, one of the D3 teams is guaranteed to make the quarter finals while everyone else has to beat a CPL or MLS team to get there.  Another of the little quirks to make the bracket work, I guess.

Or is that not how Pot 3 works?

I assume Pot 3 teams will be drawn against Pot 2 East teams. Then the remaining two Pot 2 East teams will play each other.

13 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Just curious where you saw this?  Because the initial report did not mention at all how 2022 was determined, and it would have been very easy to let everyone know that was the criteria last year.

The 2022 information came from the canpl.ca link I posted further up.

https://canpl.ca/article/2022-canadian-championship-schedule-other-details-revealed

"and three teams — including 2021 finalists CF Montréal and Toronto FC, and reigning CPL champions Pacific FC — getting byes to the quarter-final stage."

It doesn't specifically say those are the reasons why they got byes, but it seems implied to me.

51 minutes ago, Kent said:

I assume Pot 3 teams will be drawn against Pot 2 East teams. Then the remaining two Pot 2 East teams will play each other.

Ah.  Then putting the two D3 teams in their own pot is a way to ensure they don't get drawn against each other.  That makes more sense.

Edited by Kingston

13 hours ago, Cblake said:

I am not too worried about this because in 2023 you will have at least 14 teams in the tournament. At this point I would just and find a way to get it to 16. If there is a CPL expansion team in say Vancouver, you would just have to figure out a 16th team. If you did not have a 9th CPL team you would sift Edm or Calgary to the Pacific group and shuffle around the other groups if the 16th team was a second L1O entry. It would be regional draws within your groups, which is essentially what the US Open Cup does too. 

West 

Pacific 

Whitecaps

Pacific

Lower Mainland CPL

L1BC

Midwest

Edmonton

Cavalry

Valvour

EAST

Ontario

Toronto FC

York 

Forge

L10

East

Montreal

Ottawa 

Halifax

PLSQ

Midwest? We call that the Prairies in Canada no?

Also Ontario is Ontario but BC is Pacific? 😉