TFC - 2022 Season Thread

Big_M

Delgado and Deleon leaving opens up room for Priso and Okello which is great, the kids need that time. They’ve trimmed the fat in the middle and some at the top, need to trim the wings, I do think Shaffleburg, Rutty and Nelsen can shoulder the load together if another piece is added on the right ? 

1 hour ago, Dominic94 said:

Delgado and Deleon leaving opens up room for Priso and Okello which is great, the kids need that time. They’ve trimmed the fat in the middle and some at the top, need to trim the wings, I do think Shaffleburg, Rutty and Nelsen can shoulder the load together if another piece is added on the right ? 

I wonder if we might see TFC make a move for Kaye. He's a Bradley favourite, would fit perfectly and of course the CMNT/hometown angle would be good for business. 

3 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I wonder if we might see TFC make a move for Kaye. He's a Bradley favourite, would fit perfectly and of course the CMNT/hometown angle would be good for business. 

I had thought maybe that would be the way the could go earlier in the off-season.  But I think now TFC might instead go with the younger options of Priso and Okello.

I think trading Delgado was a way of opening up playing time for the home grown talents.  

TFC are going to probably want to become both sellers and buyers of players.  Priso, JMR, Nelson, Akinola and Okello are all potential players they could play, develop and move to Europe for profit.  It’s a god business model for TFC if they can get the talent pipeline moving.

22 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

I think trading Delgado was a way of opening up playing time for the home grown talents.  

TFC are going to probably want to become both sellers and buyers of players.  Priso, JMR, Nelson, Akinola and Okello are all potential players they could play, develop and move to Europe for profit.  It’s a god business model for TFC if they can get the talent pipeline moving.

I hope you are right about the playing time for home grown talent.  I thought they were going to do it out of necessity last year but they still seemed to prefer giving minutes to guys like Mullins and Dwyer for no useful reason.

I'm not so concerned with the business model side of things (although if it helps the team, then good).  I'm just tired of seeing some of the best young Canadian talent get stuck at the level of MLS-substitute and never be given the minutes to take the next step.  Our national team doesn't benefit when guys like Hamilton or Fraser develop well to the age of 19 and then spend three years receiving a lot of garbage minute substitutions and a handful of starts.  Or guys like Romeo and Dunn get loaned out but not taken back.  Or, for today, Shaffelburg and the guys you listed above lose minutes to late career foreigners who aren't any better.

I'm not suggesting we play only DPs and kids.  I am saying we need to play and develop the youth rather than give minutes to guys who aren't meaningfully better and have already reached their peaks.

There’s a fair bit of speculation that Lawrence will be moved with the express intent of Shaffleburg being TFC’s full time LB.

I like him on the wing but with Insigne coming, LW minutes are going to be tough to come by.  

Shaffleburg, like all the younger players, needs to be starting every single week.  If Bob Bradley thinks he’s best suited at LB and he’s going to get 30+ starts there, then I think it’s ok for him to move.

If everything works out TFC could be starting Shaff and (new Canadian) Auro on the back line, Osorio and Priso in the midfield and Akinola on the front line with regular rotations of Okello, JMR and Nelson this season.

The way that Bob Bradley is building this roster could see a record number of minutes for Canadians at TFC this season.

If Soteldo is going & Insigne not here until halfway through the season, I expect Shaffelburg will have a starting position as a left sided attacker for the first half of the season - Nelson being the only other option they have at the moment (though not sure about Deandre Kerr).

1 hour ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Belotti still appears to be a target if Italian language twitter is to be believed:

Which would either mean Salcedo won't be a DP or that Pozuelo is exiting as well. Guess the Delgado transfer could be about buying Salcedo's salary down so he isn't a DP.

The money from the Laryea transfer could help with that too

8 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Belotti still appears to be a target if Italian language twitter is to be believed:

Which would either mean Salcedo won't be a DP or that Pozuelo is exiting as well. Guess the Delgado transfer could be about buying Salcedo's salary down so he isn't a DP.

Or Altidore won’t be back or back as a DP