Vancouver Whitecaps - 2022 Season Thread

Big_M

5 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Wild. If true, that's a hell of a lot of pressure to suddenly throw on Hasal.

Or, as I prefer, a big vote of confidence.  He gets the chance to be the clear number one with a veteran journeyman back up happy to be his caddy with an occasional start or two.  I like that kind of keeping tandem.  They look to be getting some good scratch in return so they can snag a dynamic central mid to compete for a starting spot or another forward (not to mention a naturally left footed CB).

I would say that there would be a whole lot more pressure on Crepeau going to a big time MLS market with the weight of expectation on his shoulders to finally turn around a chronically lousy keeping situation there.   

17 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

Or, as I prefer, a big vote of confidence.  He gets the chance to be the clear number one with a veteran journeyman back up happy to be his caddy with an occasional start or two.  I like that kind of keeping tandem.  They look to be getting some good scratch in return so they can snag a dynamic central mid to compete for a starting spot or another forward (not to mention a naturally left footed CB).

I would say that there would be a whole lot more pressure on Crepeau going to a big time MLS market with the weight of expectation on his shoulders to finally turn around a chronically lousy keeping situation there.   

I wish I could share your optimism about this (possible) move but I don't know.

Seems to me Crepeau saved the Whitecaps' bacon quite a few times last season.  

Hasal looked good the times I saw him last season but can he perform over the whole season?  Guess we're going to find out.

Apparently Crepeau may have been the one who asked for a trade:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/source-lafc-in-advanced-talks-to-acquire-maxime-crepeau-from-vancouver-whitecaps

"Crepeau conveyed a desire to be traded away from Vancouver, citing family reasons. He was not with the club when they kicked off preseason this week, with the Whitecaps saying that absence was for personal reasons."

looks like newton wants out also...not that its bad for canadian keepers as it would force them to sign boehmer...but schuster is looking like someone whos starting to lose control...bair will want out if he is not to see significant playing time...cavallini situation unclear...wont say its worse than the toronto situation though

https://harjournalist.wordpress.com/2022/01/21/crepeau-isnt-the-only-goalie-that-wants-out/

25 minutes ago, Big_M said:

looks like newton wants out also...not that its bad for canadian keepers as it would force them to sign boehmer...but schuster is looking like someone whos starting to lose control...bair will want out if he is not to see significant playing time...cavallini situation unclear...wont say its worse than the toronto situation though

https://harjournalist.wordpress.com/2022/01/21/crepeau-isnt-the-only-goalie-that-wants-out/

I don't know if we can say Schuster is losing control. We don't know the details on Crepeau, and Newton's is probably border related. I'd move Bair on anyway, and he's found a spot that seems comfortable for him. There's no need to drag it out the way they did with Froese and Adekugbe.  As for Cavallini, that situation is basically all on the player. He took the money (and I'm not blaming him for that) but now he's got to live up to the deal and so far he really hasn't. 

3 hours ago, Watchmen said:

I don't know if we can say Schuster is losing control. We don't know the details on Crepeau, and Newton's is probably border related. I'd move Bair on anyway, and he's found a spot that seems comfortable for him. There's no need to drag it out the way they did with Froese and Adekugbe.  As for Cavallini, that situation is basically all on the player. He took the money (and I'm not blaming him for that) but now he's got to live up to the deal and so far he really hasn't. 

Or it could be he is almost 34, been a career minor leaguer and wants to go somewhere he can play instead of sitting behind a youngster.  Prob back down to USL-C or MLS next.  I dont know why Schuster or Van would care much about last years 4th string keeper, you can usually pick up another guy like him, who would love the MLS min paycheque.  Look at TFC and Ranjetsingh.    

Is there a link somewhere to indicate the minutes played by academy players?  After watching Adekugbe against the USA, and now seeing Bair leave, my feeling is that the Whitecaps don't develop their academy players very well.  Is my gut right?  Or does my gut have shit for brains?

11 hours ago, RJB said:

Is there a link somewhere to indicate the minutes played by academy players?  After watching Adekugbe against the USA, and now seeing Bair leave, my feeling is that the Whitecaps don't develop their academy players very well.  Is my gut right?  Or does my gut have shit for brains?

The Whitecaps don't agree

12 hours ago, RJB said:

They have struggled to bridge that gap between their Academy and the MLS team, for a variety of reasons. Some of it was coaching: I still remember Robinson throwing a bunch of kids out (some out of position) with a number of B team veterans for a game in New York and then blaming them for "not showing enough" (and Adekugbe was one of them that he played/blamed). Some of it is on the players - it's long been known that they had at least one group come through with a real sense of entitlement and wasn't putting the work in that was needed. No names were ever mentioned, but the rumored names can now be found through out CPL. Some of it is that the players might just be a bit over hyped and not good enough - I like Baldisimo, but he was given a ton of chances last year and struggled badly.

So yeah, your gut is right, I think. The answers on how to fix it aren't straightforward. I'm happy it's at least churning out players for Europe and the CPL, but they need to figure out how to get them on to their roster more regularly. 

20 hours ago, RJB said:

No verdict came be made about Bair until we see how he actually does with St. Johnstone.  Schuster has had a good look at him and has determined it was best to move on.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Watchmen said:

New kit. I'm very pleased they're continuing on with the hoop theme.

It looks fantastic, and I'll definitely consider buying one when I'm back in town in a few weeks. However, they need to accept that a hoop goes all the way around. What they have here is just a bar.

2 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

It looks fantastic, and I'll definitely consider buying one when I'm back in town in a few weeks. However, they need to accept that a hoop goes all the way around. What they have here is just a bar.

Technically true, but I'll still take it. And if Adidas would let them have a hoop, they'd do it. So, I'll cut them some slack on the bar vs hoop issue and let them run with a hoop theme.

Watching vs. Crew.

Wow, back to MLS, back to a terrible level of play and even reffing. And folks complain about watching Lille. The Caps are an absolute calamity, nothing works at all. Baldissimo simply does not have the level to be a holding and distributing mid at this level. Honestly, in CPL, he would not stand out. Then Nerwinski must have had 5-6 times he could not move the ball properly forward, leading to give-aways. Playing with a back 3, but the wide mid on the right did not come back to help, voilà 2nd goal: for me that is on the coach, who does not seem to have worked on how to play that system. 

And the ref, two ridiculous yellows early, their yellow was probably not either, it is a bit sad to think that is all the league can give us, after so long. But as I see it, he was conditioning the Caps from the get-go and the entire team passive in the face of a rival playing better and a ref laughing at them. 

I won't watch if they are going to give us this garbage another season from the Caps head office. 

Well, that wasn't the most auspicious start to the season.

Agree on Baldisimo looking out of place.  And the defence looked scrambled.

Not too many positive things to say except I thought both Berhalter and Vite did alright when they came on as subs in the second half.

And let's hope White returns sooner than later.