AWAY TRIPS: Honduras, El Salvador, Costa Rica, Panama   

39 members have voted

1. 1. Who is going to which games

• Honduras
    • El Salvador
    • Costa Rica
    • Panama

15 hours ago, Califax said:

This is going to be a big dumb question but: Where are we likely playing Jamaica? It will heavily impact Costa Rica planning.

Any chance that game is in Toronto? Montreal?

I think we end up playing Jamaica in Toronto at BMO Field. Why? Because of the fact that BMO always more or less is a packed building whenever Canada seems to play in it. But also because of the Jamaican and Canadian contingents that will be out in full display for this game. Plus the atmosphere at BMO is always live whenever Canada is there.

13 hours ago, patstew19 said:

@Olympique_de_Marseille @An Observer
Haha I decided to take a few months off here Starting dec 31, go somewhere warm, catch the games. If it was practical I’d try to be at both home games too

That's the trick this cycle, isn't it? With three game windows and home games in the middle, the next 2 windows require a decision on what to attend, particularly with requirements on re-entry coming into play.

I'm looking at both windows, but not sure which games.

1 hour ago, Acid-Tone said:

I'm considering either Costa Rica or Panama.  Never been to either one.

I'm probably leaning towards Panama.  Mostly due to my presumption that there are better beaches closer to Panama City vs. San Jose.  

Actually, the better beaches are in Costa Rica. I have spent a few months in both countries. The best area for the seaside in  Panama are the island Bocas del Toro islands in the far northwest, or the hard-to-get-to San blas islands. The other beaches in P left me kind of blah, but I was spoiled by other beaches before Panama.

33 minutes ago, gator said:

I have friends who stayed at Jaco Beach in Costa Rica and really like it and that is why if I go anywhere it will probably be to Costa Rica and specifiacally at a beach resort, the cab into the match in San Jose would be easily arranged! 

How far from San Jose is that Gator?

29 minutes ago, gator said:

About 100K!

Jaco is a nice beach and the town is very touristy, so it has lots of amenities. When I was teaching English outside San Jose (back in 2009-2010), they just finished building a nice 4 lane highway from, so it made a day-trip to Jaco much more feasible. If you do end up going to Jaco, I recommend going a little bit further to Playa Hermosa. It's more of a surfer's beach, but it is beautiful.

2 hours ago, beachesl said:

Actually, the better beaches are in Costa Rica. I have spent a few months in both countries. The best area for the seaside in  Panama are the island Bocas del Toro islands in the far northwest, or the hard-to-get-to San blas islands. The other beaches in P left me kind of blah, but I was spoiled by other beaches before Panama.

I guess I didn't get my point across very well. I know Costa Rican beaches are nicer, but I would prefer not to spend too much time driving around in a vehicle while I'm down there.  As of right now, I'm aiming for getting 2/3 beach days along with the matchday out of this trip.  I had hoped their might be a decent beach near Panama City, considering it's coastal vs. San Jose being landlocked. Hmmm......I certainly appreciate the heads up.

4 minutes ago, apbsmith said:

Glad you got some bro, see you in Costa Rica away for the WC clincher? 

I hope so!

I'm still trying to go down to El Salvador.

What travel insurance are people using?

As soon as the Canadian government changes the travel advisory to Avoid non-essential travel, many insurance companies stop covering things.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks for the thread link. 

I have 2 buddies and myself 90% I'm for CRC. 

Based on prices and availability looks like players are at the Hilton. 

We might stay at barcelo and taxi in. 

Also considering doing and staying a few days out at the beach. 

I have had visions since the draw was released we would clinch WC at CRC away. 

4 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Nice. :)

If you or your buddies have travel insurance suggestions, let me know!

I think we are just going to chance it with the one built into the visa? 

I know blue cross is pretty good like 100$ for 7 days or less. That was pre covid though. 

6 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

I hope so!

I'm still trying to go down to El Salvador.

What travel insurance are people using?

As soon as the Canadian government changes the travel advisory to Avoid non-essential travel, many insurance companies stop covering things.

Anybody have any suggestions?

If you have group travel medical benefits through employment, it may still cover COVID-related health expenses regardless of the advisory.  It depends on your plan.  

As for recommendations, listen to beachesl and sloth8 - I agree with their comments above.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/14/2021 at 4:23 PM, beachesl said:

Never been to Costa Rica, but just came back this week from Panama. I agree with the comment on the beaches part; but not to neglect, the Panama city nightlife was terrific actually. and Bocas de Toro just a 50 minute plane trip from the city with 2 flights a day, so if someone could only go to Panama they will definitely enjoy it! Going to both so should be a blast.

There seems to be quite a lot of interest in Costa Rica, and I think Admin said earlier there might be 100 (!!!) people on this trip.  Would we be looking at some kind of group booking at a hotel near the stadium?  Or is everyone going to be making their own arrangements for accommodation?  There are quite a lot of very good hotels right by the stadium.

Is there any chance of there being group events like there were for the trip to Mexico a few years back?

• 3 weeks later...

I've been looking into travel to Costa Rica and found some useful links.

Information about getting a PCR test for re-entry to Canada:  https://www.twoweeksincostarica.com/covid-19-test-costa-rica/

Entry requirements for Costa Rica:  https://www.visitcostarica.com/en/costa-rica/planning-your-trip/entry-requirements

There are many places to get a PCR test and most promise a result in 24-48 hours.  Most also provide results by e-mail so you don't have to go back to get your proof.  There's a test available at the airport, but it looks like it has a 12-24 hour turnaround so it's not something you can do the day of your flight home.

13 minutes ago, umpiredice said:

I've been looking into travel to Costa Rica and found some useful links.

Information about getting a PCR test for re-entry to Canada:  https://www.twoweeksincostarica.com/covid-19-test-costa-rica/

Entry requirements for Costa Rica:  https://www.visitcostarica.com/en/costa-rica/planning-your-trip/entry-requirements

There are many places to get a PCR test and most promise a result in 24-48 hours.  Most also provide results by e-mail so you don't have to go back to get your proof.  There's a test available at the airport, but it looks like it has a 12-24 hour turnaround so it's not something you can do the day of your flight home.

Thanks. Things can obviously change quickly, but at the moment Costa Rica are playing in empty stadiums.

6 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Actually, they will be at 60% capacity for the next home match.  

https://ticotimes.net/2022/01/11/tickets-for-the-la-sele-vs-panama-qualifying-match

I bought a refundable plane ticket to San José a few days ago for the March game crossing my fingers that I can go.

https://www.centralamerica.com/news/costa-rica-tightens-covid-restrictions/

Thanks. Double checked my source and it shows restrictions of no spectators ends Jan 23rd.