Match Thread: CONCACAF League - Quarter-Final - Leg 2: Forge FC v Santos de Guápiles (Costa Rica) - November 2, 2021

Some superb goals. After that first one, Browne was being considerably selfish on the field though and it was capped off with him kicking stuff on the bench and throwing the entire set of water bottles when he was subbed off. A bit of a diva move for a guy still growing into a new club.

regardless, what a fucking win. The boys clearly knew what was at stake, and seeing Bobby tour the field at the end was priceless. If only the PKs last week went the other way, we would have had the perfect week.

Cisse still MOTM for me, continues to show his quality 

I feel an away trip in the not so distant future.

Edited by Pottsy3

3 hours ago, rydermike said:

I know CPL can only do CL, but since they'd be in CCL via the CL, would that make them ineligible for CL. Like in England, if a team qualifies for Europa League through FA Cup, but already qualified for Champs League via the league, they forfeit the Europa league spot because they can only have one continental tournament per year. 

No - many CONCACAF countries have played in both in the same year. 

I just got home from the match and victory celebrations, this club just continues to impress, if you had thought at the kick off of Cpl that there was a chance a team could be hosting a Mexican giant in the 3rd year of the league I think most would have considered that delusional! CPL fans should be pleased with this as it is only going to make the strength of our league look better!

10 hours ago, rydermike said:

So if Forge qualifies for CCL, does that mean they can't qualify for CL next year, because they're in the higher competition, even if they win CPL again? Would we be guaranteed two different CPL teams in Concacaf? 

Id assume since they are in champs league, then their CL spot goes to the next runner up in the CPL

EDIT. nvm. I may be wrong

Edited by king1010

2 hours ago, rydermike said:

Interesting. Thanks. Seems a little strange (to me) that they allow double dipping, but Concacaf is Concacaf. 

The CONCACAF League essentially replaced the group stage of the CCL, and thus acts as a CCL qualifier for many of the smaller countries' clubs.

12 hours ago, jonovision said:

By whom, exactly? Do you think he's too good for the level he's playing at?

Yes I do. 
His downfall might be that he holds, onto the ball a lil too much sometimes. But his 1v1 ability and skill is top levels.

Maybe if he was Argentinian he would be in MLS.

Edited by Shway

14 hours ago, jonovision said:

Interesting test case for the idea that Central Americans will struggle in the cold ahead of the Edmonton matches. I don't think it will be a huge factor. Of course, Santos are probably a better team than Forge, so even if they struggle with the weather they may still get a result.

Santos definitely didn't look comfortable in these conditions, the cold weather and the cold plastic pitch didn't suit them much, Forge played very well and were the first to many balls, there were tackles you could see the Santos player wanted no part of! I know it will be a little colder in Edmonton probably, I hope Herdman was taking notes because as you say this was a very good test case!

14 hours ago, Markoaleks said:

February nights in the Hammer……

Vaguely remember teams in the colder parts of the Soviet Union moving their home games to warmer cities in European competition at that time of year. It's great that the Forge are giving it a go and it's probably doable close to the Great Lakes on turf but a home game somewhere like Edmonton in February? Suspect Pacific's stadium in Langford might get used instead to make sure the game actually happens on the scheduled date or could they use an indoor facility with a full-sized pitch? Will be interesting to see what unfolds in another couple of seasons.

1 hour ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

Has tons of skill.  He just lacks that yard of pace. 

And that’s the old English Canadian way of seeing the game. Speed or Strength over Skill and Technical ability.

I think he’s perfect in a 10/second forward… 

Loved One Soccer's announcer saying something like "we've had 45 minutes of mostly non-Concacaf soccer so far" and indeed most of the second half too. I expect Forge's next opponent from Honduras to be a bit more Concacafy.

I certainly understand why many CPL supporters would prefer Forge not win the CPL title this year. Like many Formula 1 fans who do like Lewis Hamilton but don't want him to win yet again. But, this Forge supporter appreciates the love for the team in Concacaf League play!

3 hours ago, Shway said:

And that’s the old English Canadian way of seeing the game. Speed or Strength over Skill and Technical ability.

I think he’s perfect in a 10/second forward… 

The problem is that Babouli so often tries to play in a way that requires pace.  There are so many moments when he's trying to run with the ball or beat players on the dribble but can't pull it off because of pace.  Compare that to a guy like Jonathan Osorio who plays to his strengths and keeps it simple even when he plays as a 10.  Both players lack pace but it's not a problem with Oso because he's not trying to be something he isn't.