Olympics Gold Medal Final: Canada vs. Sweden - Friday, August 6th - Tokyo, Japan - 8 am Eastern / 5 am Pacific

Cblake

As a father with young daughters, I simply could not be prouder to be Canadian right now. 

I am not sure if any of the athletes ever read this but thank you so much for everything you do. 

We watched it all together this morning and you truly have inspired an entire generation, not only in my household but an entire country. 

Congrats to the entire squad and organization, simply incredible. 

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

A couple things. 

Since CPL is having its problems getting off the ground, you can understand a women's league would be even harder. 

Good read and appreciate the honest take.

Women have had to shoehorn into the way men do things in the sport for 100 years.

You can't take a men's comparison and say well if they couldn't do it, women can't. It doesn't work that way.

Kudos to the CPL, godspeed, love them, they are a gift from heaven. But honestly most people aren't driven by going to see the lowest rung of male pro players in the world. They go to support the city, the game, the league.

Last time I checked women and girls were a bit over 40% of Canadian soccer registrations. We were one of the first countries to have female participation in the sport at a really high level. They're older now, with children and grandchildren who play.

Let them build an experience in their model, not a men's league sub-par not-as-good-as-the-men B experience. Skies the limit.

Last I checked, women's league games in our country get one or two hundred fans, mostly friends and family. Unlike other countries, we don't have a solid foundation of profitable men's clubs to provide cheap resources for the women.  They would need to pay for everything, but have no revenue.  It's a really hard problem to get around.  At least with an NWSL team or two or three piggybacking on MLS teams' resources, they could step into a revenue stream with continental reach and have a hope of paying the bills.

I wonder if the CPL would have ever got off the ground without the Canadian MLS teams showing investors that you can be in that business up here?  Maybe some Canadian NWSL teams would likewise embolden some investors to give a Canadian women's league a try.  Without a convincing business plan, it will never be more than a pipe dream.

4 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

A left footed shooter named Grosso hitting a championship winning penalty?  Where have I seen that before?

Oh, now I remember:

LOL. I tweeted this earlier today. 

‘Grosso in 2006!  Grosso in 2021!  Pretty cool!!!!!  🇨🇦🥇️’

Think the reference was lost on most people as only one person replied.

🤣🤣🤣

In each of these countries, some like Sweden 50 years ago, they said - we're gonna do this. They didn't then, don't now, and never had men's teams attached at the hip. 

On a global scale, few men's teams have associations with women's clubs or teams. And all those leagues exist and continue to grow.

The reason we are about the only country on the entire planet without a league is everyone says can't be done. We know this because the men blah blah blah. 

Give the women control over their league, empower them and get out of their way. Let them get their sponsors, let them look after everything. And don't treat them as less than men or inaccurately compare them to men. 100 years is enough.

6 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Yes, they are old cronies.  I remember this from years ago.

That expression from Sinclair at 2:34 :D

For the congrats video, for the first time ever I give some respect to Wambach. That was classy of her. Maybe she didn't like being behind someone in the goal scoring race that had never won a Gold or World Cup ;)

3 minutes ago, Kent said:

Man, I can't stand articles that begin with Oh Canada!, Woe Canada! No Canada! So Canada! Oh Canada Oh Baby!, it's is so old and lame.  It's like a late night talk show host doing a Trump joke (low hanging fruit for amateurs)

Hell, it was mostly players tweets, I was expecting some big name celebrities, the only good one was from Stats Canada.  Sorry Kent, don't mean to crap on you for posting this, just the incredibly lame and irrelevant CBC.  At least my tax dollars went to some Olympic coverage I could watch.

19 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

As someone who has struggled with depression, today Labbe gave it the pile driver and rolled it up for the pin!  It`s a lifelong struggle, but this was her D-Day. 

I have now run out of cliches, I am going to try and find the BBC replay to see how they covered it.

If you can't find it, NHK used the BBC audio for their English-language feed.  (Press the green square under the bottom-left corner of the screen.  For English, press the headphone thing to the left of the make-my-screen-bigger thingy.  Then select the bottom line.  This includes the entire medal ceremony as well.  https://sports.nhk.or.jp/olympic/highlights/content/65e0bb4a-7656-456a-93d9-24e7e1dc7dbe/ 

10 hours ago, _Vic_ said:

Give the women control over their league, empower them and get out of their way. Let them get their sponsors, let them look after everything. And don't treat them as less than men or inaccurately compare them to men. 100 years is enough.

Your post seems to imply that this isn’t currently the case.  But right now, there is nothing stopping a bunch of female business people from founding a league, a bunch of players from starting the lobby, or a bunch of fans from mobilizing and showing a level of interest that would get corporate sponsors on board.  Canada is literally 50% women, so if the appropriate level of interest is there it can happen. 

What most people are pointing out is that it seems unlikely to happen without significant supports insofar as there has been little inertia to date.  That is why there is interest in some sort of coupling with CPL or MLS clubs - because in the absence of that it just seems unlikely to happen in isolation.   Tying it to a men’s league lets you leverage existing resources/infrastructure and economies of scale that simply don’t materialize if you just “get out of their way”.   

21 minutes ago, vancanman said:

I'm old and I don't know what that means.   Instagram?  Instant coffee?  Insta-pot?  

The ‘gram.   

it was in reference to a silly debate in another part of the forum about Huitema’s lack of focus because she made a social media post two days before the game.  

Edited by dyslexic nam

1 hour ago, vancanman said:

If you can't find it, NHK used the BBC audio for their English-language feed.  (Press the green square under the bottom-left corner of the screen.  For English, press the headphone thing to the left of the make-my-screen-bigger thingy.  Then select the bottom line.  This includes the entire medal ceremony as well.  https://sports.nhk.or.jp/olympic/highlights/content/65e0bb4a-7656-456a-93d9-24e7e1dc7dbe/ 

I got it through IPlayer but I'm going to have a look to see what you were talking about.  Thanks

3 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

The ‘gram.   

it was in reference to a silly debate in another part of the forum about Huitema’s lack of focus because she made a social media post two days before the game.  

She didn't even make a post, herself. She merely commented on her boyfriend's post. 😕