Olympics Gold Medal Final: Canada vs. Sweden - Friday, August 6th - Tokyo, Japan - 8 am Eastern / 5 am Pacific

Cblake

Canada vs. Sweden
Friday, August 6th, 2021
8 am Eastern / 5 am Pacific

The first game we get with a decent kick=off time, one we can actually watch at a pub while enjoying a few cold ones (  :

Broadcast (TV):
CBC (EN)

E8Bdg0oVUAM6W65?format=jpg&name=small

Edited by Cblake

• Cblake changed the title to Olympics Gold Medal Final: Canada vs. Sweden - Thursday, August 5th - Tokyo, Japan - 10 pm Eastern / 7 pm Pacific

Can I just say that I am so glad that the final isn't in the middle of the night.  I am feeling really jetlagged from staying up for these past several games.  I guess this is the sacrifice that fans choose to make.  I have friends who are soccer fans but they don't care about women's soccer enough to stay up to watch.  They just watch the highlights after.  Hence I only have you guys to discuss games and celebrate with.  Thanks for being awesome, fellow fans!  Wish there will be more women's soccer fans after all these headlines.

I guess I'm the only one that's properly fucked off by the kick off time for the final. Instead of a nice 6 pm match that I can watch over dinner, like last night, I'm going to be sat in work while the game's on. Also, it's weird to play such a game at 11 am local time in Tokyo.

1 hour ago, SthMelbRed said:

I guess I'm the only one that's properly fucked off by the kick off time for the final. Instead of a nice 6 pm match that I can watch over dinner, like last night, I'm going to be sat in work while the game's on. Also, it's weird to play such a game at 11 am local time in Tokyo.

3am for me but I actually don’t mind. I get up at 5am each day, I’ll just get a little less sleep but have a quiet house to myself before family wakes. 

Just want to share some thoughts before the match.  I think if Canada were to win gold, now would be a much better time to do it than in London 2012.

Have you ever thought about what would have happened had we beaten the USA back in 2012, and then play Japan for gold in the final?  Most of us only talk about how we were robbed against the USA, and I agree with that.  However, I also think that even if we had gotten through to the gold medal match, it would have been very very hard for us to beat Japan back in 2012.  Heck, they were the defending World Cup Champions, arguably the best team in the world.  We had a group stage game with Japan in that same tournament and we were pretty much outclassed.  I think if we hadn't gotten robbed in the semi-final against USA, we would more likely end up with silver and Japan with gold.

Not sure about you guys, but I think our chance of winning gold this time is more realistic than our chance of winning gold in London 2012 (had we not gotten robbed in the semi-final).  In NO way am I underestimating Sweden.  Heck, they beat USA 3-0, so they are definitely a force to reckon with, but at least we're not going up against a defending World Cup champion.  So yeah, I just want to say that I really believe that our chance is better this time than what would have been in London 2012.

Edited by Sinc_Tanc_Olympic_Action

1 hour ago, Sinc_Tanc_Olympic_Action said:

Just want to share some thoughts before the match.  I think if Canada were to win gold, now would be a much better time to do it than in London 2012.

Have you ever thought about what would have happened had we beaten the USA back in 2012, and then play Japan for gold in the final?  Most of us only talk about how we were robbed against the USA, and I agree with that.  However, I also think that even if we had gotten through to the gold medal match, it would have been very very hard for us to beat Japan back in 2012.  Heck, they were the defending World Cup Champions, arguably the best team in the world.  We had a group stage game with Japan in that same tournament and we were pretty much outclassed.  I think if we hadn't gotten robbed in the semi-final against USA, we would more likely end up with silver and Japan with gold.

Not sure about you guys, but I think our chance of winning gold this time is more realistic than our chance of winning gold in London 2012 (had we not gotten robbed in the semi-final).  In NO way am I underestimating Sweden.  Heck, they beat USA 3-0, so they are definitely a force to reckon with, but at least we're not going up against a defending World Cup champion.  So yeah, I just want to say that I really believe that our chance is better this time than what would have been in London 2012.

You are probably very right.  However any time is always good to beat the USA.

17 hours ago, Sinc_Tanc_Olympic_Action said:

Can I just say that I am so glad that the final isn't in the middle of the night.  I am feeling really jetlagged from staying up for these past several games.  I guess this is the sacrifice that fans choose to make.  I have friends who are soccer fans but they don't care about women's soccer enough to stay up to watch.  They just watch the highlights after. 

The CSA has put in a request to change the time to a night game in Japan, which would be middle of the night in Vancouver.

The final was planned for 11:00am Japan, 4:00am Sweden, 7:00pm Vancouver / 10:00pm Toronto/Montreal.

The Swedish company broadcasting the Olympics put in a request to move the time because 4:00am in Sweden would be seen by hardly anyone because it was the middle of the night. They figured the start time was for the American audience and since they were out, they might have a window because Canada doesn't have the same pull as the USA.

The Swedish FA naturally jumped on it and smoothly threw in heat & safety and contacted the CSA who agreed to move it (apparently competing in the days in the Olympics is now a health risk yet nothing else is being moved). If it goes down it looks like it will be middle of the night Toronto/Montreal instead of Sweden.

5 hours ago, Sinc_Tanc_Olympic_Action said:

In one word: Defense wins the tournament.

27 minutes ago, _Vic_ said:

The final was planned for 11:00am Japan, 4:00am Sweden, 7:00pm Vancouver / 10:00pm Toronto/Montreal.

The Swedish company broadcasting the Olympics put in a request to move the time because 4:00am in Sweden would be seen by hardly anyone because it was the middle of the night. They figured the start time was for the American audience and since they were out, they might have a window because Canada doesn't have the same pull as the USA.

The Swedish FA naturally jumped on it and smoothly threw in heat & safety and contacted the CSA who agreed to move it (apparently competing in the days in the Olympics is now a health risk yet nothing else is being moved). If it goes down it looks like it will be middle of the night Toronto/Montreal instead of Sweden.

Other events have already been moved due to the heat & humidity. 

Without NBC's interference, the match would have likely been at 7:00 EDT. Or 13:00 Stockholm. The bronze match is at 4:00 EDT. 

4 hours ago, _Vic_ said:

The Olympic web site still reports the match as scheduled for 11:00 Aug. 6 Tokyo time, which translates to 22:00 Aug. 5 EDT

Edited by spinrack

When I think back to 2015 and the decision to stay with the recovering from injury and out of form Sesselmann at LCB beside Buchanon (perhaps arguably because the replacements were not considered up to snuff), Priestman has had no problem with dropping an out of form CB in Zadorsky and going with Gilles.  I only watched the semi from 30 minutes onward but I thought her defensive play looked good.  I hope she has a strong performance in the final.

All things considered, we would obviously prefer for it to be moved earlier in the morning, Tokyo time, since that works for viewers in all Canadian time zones.

If it is moved later, then it needs to go as late as possible into evening, like 8pm Tokyo time (7am EDT), since at least Canadians in the eastern time zones could wake up at a semi-reasonable hour to watch it.
Edited by spinrack

• Cblake changed the title to Olympics Gold Medal Final: Canada vs. Sweden - Friday, August 6th - Tokyo, Japan - 8 am Eastern / 5 am Pacific