Olympics Gold Medal Final: Canada vs. Sweden - Friday, August 6th - Tokyo, Japan - 8 am Eastern / 5 am Pacific

Cblake

This shootout was foreshadowed in the 2019 Algarve Cup bronze medal match vs Sweden. It went 7 rounds using the ABBA method vs the usual ABAB.

All Canadian takers were on the gold medal team. Both keepers were the same. But Schmidt, Sinclair & Beckie were on the bench for the Olympics version.

Sinclair was stopped which is one of the reasons why she asked Beckie to take the penalty during the World Cup. Schmidt, Rose, Lawrence, Beckie & Buchanan scored. The 7th was Fleming. So, at that time, she wasn't considered one of our top penalty takers. 

Canada Soccer stream of match is still online. Kicks start around 2 hour 54 minute mark.

https://twitter.com/i/broadcasts/1YqxorRleOvJv

Edited by red card

Since they just provided peak audience number, don't know if it beat average of 3.8 million in 2012 for Canada vs USA women semis. 2012 was on a holiday Monday afternoon. Much more people likely streamed match in 2021 given match time and progression of streaming/cord cutting.

And it makes it hard to compare to other events. CBC has been averaging 1.5 million per night for the Olympics. 

In another tweet, Cdn Olympic Committee COO said >5 million watched ex streaming but wasn't clear if this was also peak audience figure and included French viewers. 

Edited by red card

I have watched the shootout several times now and I have a question.  Again, I am not a soccer player, so I like to ask questions.

For Grosso's penalty, is there a reason why the Swedish goalkeeper was trying to save it with one hand?  Did she injure her other hand, or was she not committed to diving to that side?  In your opinion, was that a saveable penalty?

7 minutes ago, Sinc_Tanc_Olympic_Action said:

I have watched the shootout several times now and I have a question.  Again, I am not a soccer player, so I like to ask questions.

For Grosso's penalty, is there a reason why the Swedish goalkeeper was trying to save it with one hand?  Did she injure her other hand, or was she not committed to diving to that side?  In your opinion, was that a saveable penalty?

It was definitely there to be saved, as the 'keeper got a good piece of the shot. The 'keeper will have dove with one hand because that would have given her the best chance to get all the way across to the post. She wouldn't have anticipated the shot being just a little further inside, and that's what allowed the shot to sneak under her. had it been a couple of inches to either side of where it went, the 'keeper would have stopped it. Lots of luck involved.

I heard about this, but I just found the video today.  Megan Rapinoe interrupted Jessie Fleming's interview to give her congrats and told her to go win it.

https://youtu.be/FZUbDAk-TfM

Normally I would say that she was acting in front of the camera, like when would US support Canada in winning gold?  But now I think maybe Rapinoe really wanted to feel better.  Even if she didn't feel like supporting Canada in the moment, she would say it until she believed it, just in case Canada would win the final.

I said earlier in this thread that I think Wambach meant it when she said that she wanted it for Sincy.  I'm giving several US players that I've never been a fan of, the benefit of the doubt.

On another note, Mia Hamm retweeted Abby's tweet about wanting it for Sincy!  She also congratulated Sinc and the rest of the team on Twitter.  Now, Mia is someone who always displays class and I don't doubt that she meant what she said.

At the end of the day, we won gold so who cares how the Americans really feel about it!

These women have been competing against each other on the international stage and competing together on the club stage for ages.  Women's pro football is a small world, so I'm not surprised that friendships develop between them.  I'm going to believe in the straightforward reason for Rapinoe's statement, that she said it out of good will.

3 hours ago, red card said:

725k streamed the gold medal match. Views were not defined but hopefully it was at least for 15 mins. It beat the Euro Final of 450k which was TSN's most streamed event.

I'm glad I ended up having to stream it so the final number was nice and round. It would have looked weird if it was 724,999 instead.