Olympics Gold Medal Final: Canada vs. Sweden - Friday, August 6th - Tokyo, Japan - 8 am Eastern / 5 am Pacific

Cblake

12 minutes ago, Sinc_Tanc_Olympic_Action said:

Alright, I'll be the first (and probably the only one) to admit that I don't understand this, as someone who watches women's soccer more than men's.  I can't help but to notice that you wrote "football".  Is that a hint?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_at_the_1904_Summer_Olympics

5 minutes ago, Sinc_Tanc_Olympic_Action said:

Thanks for the explanation.  Interesting... So 3 teams competed, and we beat 2 American teams to win first?  I guess those count too.  LOL...

Still with that caveat, and another - you can't count East Germany as united Germany*- it is interesting that so few countries have won it for both men and women. 

Sweden would have been one as well. 

* though that does also bring up the Eastern Bloc dominance on the men's due to shamateurism 

They battled, the ground it out, they kept their heads after conceding a poor goal, they kept plugging away when things weren't clicking in the passing/possession department:  a tremendous collective effort overall.  Massive props to the keeper:  she has seemed like a whipping girl on here for some posters when things weren't well for the last few years but in the matches I watched she was very solid and complete mint in the shootouts.  

Congratulations!!!

21 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Still with that caveat, and another - you can't count East Germany as united Germany*- it is interesting that so few countries have won it for both men and women. 

Sweden would have been one as well. 

* though that does also bring up the Eastern Bloc dominance on the men's due to shamateurism 

I don’t think this is correct. Only women’s teams to win are Germany, USA, Norway and now Canada. So only Canada and Germany if you count  East Germany and Germany as the same. 

2 hours ago, Ansem said:

You have too much fate in Canada Soccer... Knowing them and from what Bontis said, he's pursuing NWSL and we'll do the insane thing of the doing the same thing again and expecting a different result

There's no way in my opinion that a Women's league reaches it's full potential with a NWSL club in its backyard - that league will never happen if we lose our 3 top markets to it.

Also, the US pool being very deep, our Canadian teams would be copies of TFC which starts way more Americans than Canadians - thus, creating more US opportunities with Canadian dollars... lol. We deserve better governance...

Need to get the 3 MLS clubs and CPL clubs at the table first in my opinion since the same venues could be used + trying to attract new investors afterwards

You somehow still managed to get a dig into the MLS and TFC , just enjoy this incredible moment for soccer in this country and leave the digs for another day .

5 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

You somehow still managed to get a dig into the MLS and TFC , just enjoy this incredible moment for soccer in this country and leave the digs for another day .

I don't want this moment to be "our only one" - hence the importance of doing women's club the right way for the long term, not short term fix.

I didn't mention MLS - just TFC and my observation is accurate whether you like it or not

I posted the medal ceremony so I'm very much celebrating their win

1 minute ago, Sinc_Tanc_Olympic_Action said:

Guys, I have a question.  Does this mean that the Canada soccer jersey will have one star on it?  Or is that only if you win the World Cup?

Just wondering if I need to buy a jersey with a star on it. ;)

I think it's for World Cups since FIFA are asking Uruguay to drop 2 stars related to Olympic wins

4 minutes ago, Sinc_Tanc_Olympic_Action said:

Guys, I have a question.  Does this mean that the Canada soccer jersey will have one star on it?  Or is that only if you win the World Cup?

Just wondering if I need to buy a jersey with a star on it. ;)

Haha, I sure hope not. Maybe their warmups at the next Olympics or something.

2 hours ago, Cblake said:

No excuses the CSA better have a coast to coast Gold Medal Tour for these women for the entire country to celebrate. No doubt in my mind Corporate Canada will step up, especially after the last year and a half we have had. A feel good story for the ages. 

A Sinclair retirement/Gold medal celebration tour!

33 minutes ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

I don’t think this is correct. Only women’s teams to win are Germany, USA, Norway and now Canada. So only Canada and Germany if you count  East Germany and Germany as the same. 

That is what I was saying, sorry if it wasn't clear.  The second sentence - more clearly "If Sweden would have won..." since their men won in '48.

Regarding Wambach, she posted on Twitter before the match saying that she wanted it for Sincy.  There is a chance that she did that just in case Canada wins, then she could be like, "I was rooting for them all along." 

However, I'll give her the benefit of the doubt and say that she really did want it for Sincy.  Those two seem to respect each other.

55 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

Yeah but he also said the one the single most important things I've read in 15 years of Canadian women's soccer forums:

... pursuing NWSL and we'll do the insane thing of the doing the same thing again and expecting a different result

There's no way in my opinion that a Women's league reaches it's full potential with a NWSL club in its backyard - that league will never happen if we lose our 3 top markets to it.

We've written the playbook on how to run a successful national team. Now the monkey's off the back and we can finally move on.

Now it's time to pick up the empty book beside it and the pen. We are about the only country in the entire world without a women's league. Every big, small, urban, rural, advanced, backwoods... they all have one.

Without that all the talk of inspiring young girls is cheap empty rhetoric.

Just say no to NWSL and take all that focus and drive it into a league for women all across the country. A before B. Not B before A.

1 hour ago, _Vic_ said:

Yeah but he also said the one the single most important things I've read in 15 years of Canadian women's soccer forums:

... pursuing NWSL and we'll do the insane thing of the doing the same thing again and expecting a different result

We've written the playbook on how to run a successful national team. Now the monkey's off the back and we can finally move on.

Now it's time to pick up the empty book beside it and the pen. We are about the only country in the entire world without a women's league. Every big, small, urban, rural, advanced, backwoods... they all have one.

Without that all the talk of inspiring young girls is cheap empty rhetoric.

Just say no to NWSL and take all that focus and drive it into a league for women all across the country. A before B. Not B before A.

A couple things. 

Since CPL is having its problems getting off the ground, you can understand a women's league would be even harder. 

That said, there are places to start, to get some competitive play going, such as L10 Ontario and any and all provincial equivalents. Some regional structure at least gets players playing, establishes a base, and may even create some fan interest. 

As for a national league, in principle, if the CPL is handled properly, it has everything in its favour to help foster a women's league. I am speaking of the biggest investor, MediaPro. MediaPro is very interested in the women's game, in Spain they already were paying for tv rights (although not all the Spanish league rights are in the same package, as some clubs opt out, reason why on OneSoccer not all teams appear). Still, they paid for women's rights, then when there was a threat of a strike because of poor pay and working conditions (similar enough to the CPL situation), MediaPro threw in a couple million euros more to convince the holdout clubs to accept the deal. They basically paid for it. 

Then there is Atletico Ottawa. Now I get they are having trouble still, have not really gotten going and that could be a factor holding them back. But all their FO spoke of the women's game when they came into the league, and they have an important women's team (the Swedish keeper plays for them BTW), they are a major investor. 

Now it is not clear that Clanachan and the CPL brass give a damn about the women, they are old school, they are clued out about French and have not doing anything to get a Québec club in the league. They seem a lot like an Anglo old boys operation. 

The gold medal: why do I think that it is perceived more positively by MediaPro/OneSoccer than it might be by the CPL itself?