Olympics Gold Medal Final: Canada vs. Sweden - Friday, August 6th - Tokyo, Japan - 8 am Eastern / 5 am Pacific

Cblake

16 minutes ago, JohnnyFranchise said:

Crazy, there's no way that's ever been done before

You know what I think has never been done before, at least in women's soccer?  Winning two penalty shootouts in the same tournament.  Please correct me if I am wrong because I am all for corrections.  I just know that it is a psychologically difficult thing for a team to do.  Even Hope Solo said that in her book regarding USA's loss to Japan in the 2011 Women's World Cup, that her team had a difficult task to do trying to win a second shootout in the same World Cup.

I know for the men's, Italy did it against England in the Euro Cup final, but that was also because the English coach made some questionable decisions in his choice of players.

This is why I believe that we deserve this win.  We did a difficult thing in winning this shootout when the Swedish goalkeeper had obviously studied our players in our shootout against Brazil.  I do think that Sweden deserves their silver medal though and I can understand how heartbroken they must be feeling right now.  If I could pick a team other than Canada to take gold, it would have been Sweden.

14 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Great performance. Weak first half, got into it second. Very good changes by Priestman at the half, as Beckie was not into playing and Quinn coughed it up for the goal. Brave coaching. Almost all individual performances very strong, I felt Rose was the only weak piece after the changes.

We had some strong phases, had possession, when we wanted we passed out as well as any team out there. 

Fleming, for me, WOTM. Labbé, great mentality.

@Gian-Luca @AvroArrowsorry to have bothered you, thanks for the dicks and balls nitpicking, now you can go back to your man caves.

Lol, you'll never change.  Always classy.

I think you misunderstood my post.  The majority of pks taken by both teams were not great pks, as they were often at the height of the keepers hands and close to the middle of the net, and we also had a sky ball, a cross bar and a post.  But hey, its a gold medal game and the pressure is immense.

But as I said, a gold medal is a gold medal and that that can't be taken away.  Labbe stopped a tonne of pks this tournament and in the final moments Canada had more composure in the shootouts then Sweden did, especially when Canada had to score to keep the shoot out going.  Full marks for that.  

When did I know? 

International Women's Football Tournament City of São Paulo December 2010. 

Our young second string keeper plays.  My posts at the time, great shot stopper, needs experience.  There's a reason I would always reply to a poster who would slag Labbe, it all goes back to the tournament below that we won, playing Brazil twice, in Brazil, that's when I knew.

1 minute ago, Nick P said:

So help me if Canada Soccer doesn't capitalize on this to engage sponsors and transform women's sport in Canada like what has occurred here in the USA over the past two decades

No excuses the CSA better have a coast to coast Gold Medal Tour for these women for the entire country to celebrate. No doubt in my mind Corporate Canada will step up, especially after the last year and a half we have had. A feel good story for the ages. 

13 minutes ago, Nick P said:

So help me if Canada Soccer doesn't capitalize on this to engage sponsors and transform women's sport in Canada like what has occurred here in the USA over the past two decades

You have too much fate in Canada Soccer... Knowing them and from what Bontis said, he's pursuing NWSL and we'll do the insane thing of the doing the same thing again and expecting a different result

There's no way in my opinion that a Women's league reaches it's full potential with a NWSL club in its backyard - that league will never happen if we lose our 3 top markets to it.

Also, the US pool being very deep, our Canadian teams would be copies of TFC which starts way more Americans than Canadians - thus, creating more US opportunities with Canadian dollars... lol. We deserve better governance...

Need to get the 3 MLS clubs and CPL clubs at the table first in my opinion since the same venues could be used + trying to attract new investors afterwards

Edited by Ansem

One thing I found fascinating was subbing Zadorsky in at the end, not unlike England did just before PKs in the Euros.

I wondered if she was going to be an early kicker, was relieved that she wasn't and then saw she was like an on field coach, being the first to greet each kicker during the PKs. That's another brave and astute move by Priestman, if you ask me.

49 minutes ago, An Observer said:

Labbe was brilliant on the penalties. She stared them down with this cheeky grin on her face. The swedes just went to pieces in penalties (we weren’t much better). 

Got to feel for their captain who will probably have nightmares for the rest of her life about her missed pk that would have clinched the win for the Swedes.

Labbe definitely had the mental toughness but same too with Fleming, who just pips Labbe and Gilles as team MVP. In a tourney that was won via the spot kick (which even people who actually do live in man caves must acknowledge), stepping up when she is not even supposed to be one of our goal scorers to nail them perfectly every single time can’t be understated. 

Also a shout out to Rose for winning the PK in the semis and making the 5th one with all the pressure in her.

5 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

Labbe has a stone cold heart and ice in her veins.

As someone who has struggled with depression, today Labbe gave it the pile driver and rolled it up for the pin!  It`s a lifelong struggle, but this was her D-Day. 

I have now run out of cliches, I am going to try and find the BBC replay to see how they covered it.