Copa America

SpursFlu

9 minutes ago, Kent said:

I would rather it be an all CONCACAF tourney.

I understand your point but it being a wcq year a little variety would be nice. Bringing in Ireland or Israel would be cool just to get some more eyeballs on the tourney. Likely not gonna happen  just saying 

• 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, JuicyHam said:

I think we were invited after the 2000 gold cup but since we beat Colombia in that tournament we declined due to security concerns 

I don't believe that was the reason. CONMEBOL announced the cancellation of the tournament and the Canadian players that were in camp all returned to their clubs. A few days later they reinstated the tournament in Colombia but the CSA decided it was too late to get the players back.

1 hour ago, Norrin Radd said:

I don't believe that was the reason. CONMEBOL announced the cancellation of the tournament and the Canadian players that were in camp all returned to their clubs. A few days later they reinstated the tournament in Colombia but the CSA decided it was too late to get the players back.

Argentina didn't participate for the same reason.

• 1 year later...
9 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Too lazy to go find it but there was some talk out of South America that the 2024 Copa America would include Concacaf. The speculation included the fact that Mexico USA Canada won't participate in qualifying so it makes a lot of sense. I think at the moment the tournament is supposed to be in Ecuador 

I saw the same thing.  It was for the next Copa America but what i heard was that it would still be "select Concacaf" teams added.   They did include Canada in the report is saw but it was in spanish so i didnt understand it all clearly .  However i have come accross nothing official.

Edited by Free kick

26 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I'm sure they would "select" 6 teams to make it a nice round 4 groups of 4

Other than Mexico & USA, teams were selected on merit last time.

Caribbean Cup Champs - Jamaica
Centroamerican champs - Costa Rica
Panama beat Cuba in a playoff
Haiti beat Trinidad in a playoff.

At the time Canada was ranked 10th and didn’t qualify for the play-ins.

49 minutes ago, Shway said:

Other than Mexico & USA, teams were selected on merit last time.

Caribbean Cup Champs - Jamaica
Centroamerican champs - Costa Rica
Panama beat Cuba in a playoff
Haiti beat Trinidad in a playoff.

At the time Canada was ranked 10th and didn’t qualify for the play-ins.

Same format would basically work this time - invite Canada, US, Mexico (and maybe Costa Rica), plus the two Champ winners. Can add an additional game if you don't want to give Costa Rica the direct bye.

Would require fence mending.  CONCACAF and CONMEBOL had a massive falling out over money and trademark rights from the Centenario.  Then they bickered over choice of marketing companies for the next joint tournament which didn't materialize.  This was all before they split off into rival political factions with CONMEBOL allied with UEFA and CONCACAF with Infantino.

The great irony of FIFAgate is that it made a joint tournament harder to make.  It's easier to find compromises when marketing companies are offering multimillion dollar bribes.

29 minutes ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

Would require fence mending.  CONCACAF and CONMEBOL had a massive falling out over money and trademark rights from the Centenario.  Then they bickered over choice of marketing companies for the next joint tournament which didn't materialize.  This was all before they split off into rival political factions with CONMEBOL allied with UEFA and CONCACAF with Infantino.

The great irony of FIFAgate is that it made a joint tournament harder to make.  It's easier to find compromises when marketing companies are offering multimillion dollar bribes.

Fences can be mended. It still ultimately makes the most sense for everyone involved, for 2024 at least. Whether the two federations can move forward with a more permanent joint tournament, well  we'll see. But they should.

39 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Fences can be mended. It still ultimately makes the most sense for everyone involved, for 2024 at least. Whether the two federations can move forward with a more permanent joint tournament, well  we'll see. But they should.

I find money can be a great motivator - especially when it comes to soccer federations.