2026 World Cup - News, Updates and discussions

VinceA

28 minutes ago, narduch said:

Because with the US in the bid there are enough stadiums that make that unnecessary.

The World Cup is a big fucking deal.

It would be unprecedented to do what you are suggesting.

24 minutes ago, narduch said:

I went and looked at the Qatar schedule and they are using stadiums every 2 days. So perhaps you could get 6-7 games out of Toronto. But that would probably still mean the US giving up more knock out games.

https://www.cafonline.com/news-center/news/fifa-world-cuptm-match-schedule-confirmed

24 minutes ago, RS said:

Multiple games on the same day? Yes. That happens in the group stage and early knockout rounds of every World Cup.

Multiple games at the same stadium on the same day? Never.

Ok.  Now that i have thought about it,  what you guys are saying makes sence.  I came to the realization when recalling that  last group stage matches are always played at the same time.  So they have to be played in two different cities.  Therefore its not 6 matches matchs in one city (with a group of 4 teams) but rather 5 matches.  That means that the group stage can be completed withing 15 days if you apply the 3 day rule.

Edited by Free kick

7 minutes ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

Ottawa or Hamilton might work.  With the open ends, they can erect temp seating to reach 40K.

The North stand at TD Place stadium (and the arena adjacent) is recommended to be torn down by the City of Ottawa as it is in need of desperate repair/upgrade.  It would never be in good enough shape to host WC matches as is.

9 hours ago, SkuseisLoose said:

We should just pull out already. The bid never made any sense for us or Mexico to be included. The USA wanted the big expanded World Cup but don't want to have to deal with the games that will be considerably less popular. We just get the American scraps and our group games. Waste of money for both the CSA and the government.

I’ll take scraps and seeing Canada play live in a World Cup would probably  be the only time in my lifetime to witness Canada play a World Cup game or games on home soil I’ll take it sorry I’m no spring chicken .

At this point Canada should just remove itself as a host country.

With two of the three biggest cities in the country removing themselves from consideration, we need to seriously ask ourselves whether there is sufficient national interest in the tournament or indeed the sport itself.

Anyone who thinks we are going to be watching Canada play from a South End supporters section at BMO is dreaming, if in fact we host matches this will be very corporate with people getting tickets who have never watched a soccer match live and Canada is still not guaranteed a spot in this tournament! We were used to secure the American World Cup bid at a time when the US were out of favour due to their political landscape (Trump) at the time, I don't think they ever would have received enough support on their own!

44 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

I just do not understand this Mtl pulling out thing. What if all or most of the cities do the same thing. There must of been some assurances given to FIFA.

It's quite easy to see why Montreal is pulling out.... It's because they need to renovate The Big O. 

That would mean replacing the pitch with grass and replacing the roof so grass could actually grow. Considering it'll be used for 3 games and the building isn't used for anything else, it'll be a giant waste of money for a city that is facing major financial implications from COVID. 

Stade Saputo won't get expanded because there's no private investment. BMO will get expanded because of MLSE money and Edmonton doesn't need too many renos. 

This whole 48 team world cup is turning into a silly idea though. Think.... This was to avoid Morocco getting a world cup! MOROCCO!!!

19 minutes ago, spinrack said:

At this point Canada should just remove itself as a host country.

With two of the three biggest cities in the country removing themselves from consideration, we need to seriously ask ourselves whether there is sufficient national interest in the tournament or indeed the sport itself.

National interest I don’t know but if I’m not mistaken just the TV ratings for World Cups have always been very good, even the Euros do really well. So the national interest is there. Canada is not a curling and hockey country only or baseball and pointy ball football, of course if one only lives in the mainstream media world you would think it is but it’s far far from that!

3 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

National interest I don’t know but if I’m not mistaken just the TV ratings for World Cups have always been very good, even the Euros do really well. So the national interest is there. Canada is not a curling and hockey country only or baseball and pointy ball football, of course if one only lives in the mainstream media world you would think it is but it’s far far from that!

I'm not saying it's zero, but it's pretty low.  Sure TV ratings for the World Cup are good, but we don't have such numbers for the Canadian national teams, because there is not even enough interest to warrant a national TV broadcast.

44 minutes ago, gator said:

Anyone who thinks we are going to be watching Canada play from a South End supporters section at BMO is dreaming, if in fact we host matches this will be very corporate with people getting tickets who have never watched a soccer match live and Canada is still not guaranteed a spot in this tournament! We were used to secure the American World Cup bid at a time when the US were out of favour due to their political landscape (Trump) at the time, I don't think they ever would have received enough support on their own!

I hope people are ready to pay at least $1000 per ticket

1 minute ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

Can you imagine the prices if it was Italy vs Portugal?  I swear they could charge $5K

My family has already said they'd probably just fly into the US and watch a game in one of the larger stadiums....will be easier to get your hands on a ticket for a game at say AT&T Stadium that holds 100k than a game at an expanded BMO where capacity is roughly 40K

Just now, mrstepp817 said:

My family has already said they'd probably just fly into the US and watch a game in one of the larger stadiums....will be easier to get your hands on a ticket for a game at say AT&T Stadium that holds 100k than a game at an expanded BMO where capacity is roughly 40K

Maybe not.  FIFA sets aside large blocks of tickets for fans from host cities.  Getting a ticket as a foreign fan is much more difficult unless you happen to be a citizen of one of the countries that is playing.

I see that some people are suggesting that Montreal be replaced by another Canadian city in the host city bidding.  However, if I am not mistaken it is too late in the process for that.  The list of potential host cities is already finalized and FIFA is now in the process of validating them and choosing the final sites.  Like it or not, barring some special dispensation Canada is now stuck with only Toronto and Edmonton.

Edited by spinrack

22 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

You can’t, my understanding FIFA requires permanent seating. Temp seating is not allowed. That’s why BMO is getting Reno’s 

Last two world cups had temp seating so that's definitely false.  The 2014 venue in Sao Paulo had massive temporary 2nd decks on the ends. There was one in Russia with giant temp bleachers sticking out of both ends

image.png.d82cfe3e32fbfb7535494620d06c44b6.png

Edited by CanadianSoccerFan

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/montreal-fifa-bid-2026-1.6091623

The city said today in a brief statement it made the decision because the provincial government had withdrawn its support.

Quebec had said it wouldn't fund the event, citing cost overruns that would have been difficult to justify to taxpayers.

So basically the city of Montreal still wants to participate, but the province of Quebec does not and it was impossible to continue with their help.

22 minutes ago, spinrack said:

I see that some people are suggesting that Montreal be replaced by another Canadian city in the host city bidding.  However, if I am not mistaken it is too late in the process for that.  The list of potential host cities is already finalized and FIFA is now in the process of validating them and choosing the final sites.  Like it or not, barring some special dispensation Canada is now stuck with only Toronto and Edmonton.

Even if that is true you can divvy it up between the 2 cities. Each city gets 5 games. Equals 10 games.

1 hour ago, spinrack said:

I'm not saying it's zero, but it's pretty low.  Sure TV ratings for the World Cup are good, but we don't have such numbers for the Canadian national teams, because there is not even enough interest to warrant a national TV broadcast.

Bud Canada playing in a World Cup will get ratings , TFC got some very good ratings in some of their MLS Cup runs so why wouldn’t Canada in a World Cup not get interest here in Canada ?

• VinceA changed the title to 2026 World Cup - News, Updates and discussions