2020 Voyageurs Cup Format

2 hours ago, Ansem said:

Ridiculous 

I just don’t understand the thinking.  Sure we would like to have fans in the stands for the Canadian Championship.  And if 2022 is the earliest that can happen, then so be it.  But there is no reason to skip all of 2021 or come up with some format that suits the circumstances. 

I agree with this solution 100%. 

1. 2021 V Cup will go ahead this summer.  Winner qualifies for Concacaf.

2. 2022 V Cup will go ahead next summer.  Winner qualifies for Concacaf. 

3.  2020 V Cup match is played at Tim Hortons Field as late as possible (up until July 2022) to ensure maximum fans in the stands.

Brilliant strategy under difficult circumstances. 

1 hour ago, scooterlawrence5 said:

I agree with this solution 100%. 

1. 2021 V Cup will go ahead this summer.  Winner qualifies for Concacaf.

2. 2022 V Cup will go ahead next summer.  Winner qualifies for Concacaf. 

3.  2020 V Cup match is played at Tim Hortons Field as late as possible (up until July 2022) to ensure maximum fans in the stands.

Brilliant strategy under difficult circumstances. 

If this is indeed how it all falls into place, then yeah. The 2020 V Cup CCL spot has already been decided (given to TFC), so the future winner of that 2020 V Cup final should only be in line to win the trophy.

The 2021 & 2022 CCL spots should only be decided through 2021 & 2022 Canadian Championships.

(Although it would be funny to see @Ansem continue his months-long anti-TFC tirade for another few years)

50 minutes ago, RS said:

If this is indeed how it all falls into place, then yeah. The 2020 V Cup CCL spot has already been decided (given to TFC), so the future winner of that 2020 V Cup final should only be in line to win the trophy.

The 2021 & 2022 CCL spots should only be decided through 2021 & 2022 Canadian Championships.

(Although it would be funny to see @Ansem continue his months-long anti-TFC tirade for another few years)

Guilty of not celebrating 2 gifts in a row to team America

2 minutes ago, Ansem said:

So why mention my name? You already know what I think about it - I accepted that this is Canada and moved on

Because I saw you bitching about it in this thread and over in the MNT vs. Bermuda thread. And over the past several months.

4 minutes ago, RS said:

Because I saw you bitching about it in this thread and over in the MNT vs. Bermuda thread. And over the past several months.

Yeah - because many... including journalists were scratching their heads on the 2022 date.

But- hey, I'm flattered that you do think think about me - sweet talker you!

Edited by Ansem

Just now, Ansem said:

Yeah - because man... including journalists were scratching their heads on the 2022 date.

But- hey, I'm flattered that you do think think about me - sweet talker you!

Ok man, we'll just pretend you didn't actually post about it in this thread and others since Bontis announced it.

2022 is dumb, but understandable given the circumstances and only if it follows the outlined posted by @scooterlawrence5.

Just now, RS said:

Ok man, we'll just pretend you didn't actually post about it in this thread and others since Bontis announced it.

2022 is dumb, but understandable given the circumstances and only if it follows the outlined posted by @scooterlawrence5.

Yeah I posted because he said it in the middle of half time.

I don't owe it to you to agree with the decision. We should have done what the USSF did - simple as that.

But 2022 it is - so we'll see

Has any competition ever had a championship game for a later year before the championship game of an earlier year? It makes no sense and is ridiculous in my opinion. In the future will people talk about Forge's 3 straight Voyageurs Cups, 2022, 2020, and 2023? When there are tables of results listed, are they going to be lised by year name or by chronological order of when the champion was determined? I know these are minor details, but it's just so weird. Why bother with a 2021 championship? Why don't we call this years championship the 2146 championship, and next year we can crown the 1971 champions.

To be clear, I don't have a problem with calling the championship the 2020 edition if it happens before the 2021 tournament, even though the final will be in 2021. But it makes no sense to finish the following year's campaign before the earlier year's competition is finished. Fans in the stands would be nice, but there will be more opportunities for TFC to come to Hamilton in the future. Heck, we could potentially have a TFC vs Forge final in the 2021 or 2022 edition, with or without fans before the 2020 final happens.

12 hours ago, RS said:

I don't see how there's going to be a proper 2021 Canadian Championship, looking at the MLS schedules. Assuming they aren't planning to play the Canadian Championship during the international breaks, or the Gold Cup, the only available dates I see in TFC's schedule, are two mid-week dates in August. But those also match the 2021 CCL semi-finals.

I'd assume that for the 2022 CCL, they'll just repeat what they did for the 2015/16 CCL and select the Canadian team with the best 2021 regular season record.

Presumably the winner of the 2022 Canadian Championship will play in the 2023 CCL. Though I don't know how they'll pick the teams for the 2023-24 CCL - which will otherwise be based on the 2022 CPL and MLS season. So does that go to the 2022 Canadian Championship winner as well?

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/27/2021 at 1:32 AM, Kent said:

Has any competition ever had a championship game for a later year before the championship game of an earlier year? It makes no sense and is ridiculous in my opinion. In the future will people talk about Forge's 3 straight Voyageurs Cups, 2022, 2020, and 2023? When there are tables of results listed, are they going to be lised by year name or by chronological order of when the champion was determined? I know these are minor details, but it's just so weird. Why bother with a 2021 championship? Why don't we call this years championship the 2146 championship, and next year we can crown the 1971 champions.

To be clear, I don't have a problem with calling the championship the 2020 edition if it happens before the 2021 tournament, even though the final will be in 2021. But it makes no sense to finish the following year's campaign before the earlier year's competition is finished. Fans in the stands would be nice, but there will be more opportunities for TFC to come to Hamilton in the future. Heck, we could potentially have a TFC vs Forge final in the 2021 or 2022 edition, with or without fans before the 2020 final happens.

Spain just played the 2020 Copa final last weekend. It was originally scheduled for May 2020. The 2021 final is being played in three weeks. 

Mind you, Spain is notoriously lax when it comes to scheduling its Copa del Rey final. They always choose the venue in function of the teams getting in, instead of having clubs or stadiums bid. Still, an 11-month delay.

In Spain, mind you, Cup winners do not warrant a Europa League spot. The SuperCup, which used to be Cup winner vs League winner, was changed a few years ago into a final four, Cup, League and the 2 best next in the league.

My personal opinion is that if the Voyageurs are good for anything it would be for lobbying for the integrity of this competition.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Ansem said:

I like how those who were defending Canada Soccer handling of the 2020 finals then are now eerily quiet.

Huh...

Those who hated it are also pretty quiet. It was a poor format to start with and was always poorly organized, and focus has now turned to the current year. The trophy should just be not awarded for a year, like many other trophies across sports.

• 1 month later...

I've heard July 2022.  I first saw it on the rsssf.com website (under List of Champions - Canada - 2020) a few months ago, but I heard it on TV again about a month or so ago.  I can't remember when, it was either when Forge was playing FAS or a TSN commentator during one of the first few TFC home-in-Toronto games, so at least one announcer seemed to hear the same.

Of course, I might have just been hearing things, but the website is pretty meticulous about things.

1 hour ago, Jedi Ram said:

Honestly, let's just put 2020 Voyageurs to bed and declare TFC-Forge joint winners.  It's already September, no room in the schedule to put this game in...

Holding this final in July 2022 is and will be a joke and people will simply look at this game as money grab for all parties concerned.

I think we should list it as no winner.