2020 Voyageurs Cup Format

On 9/16/2021 at 2:43 PM, Jedi Ram said:

Honestly, let's just put 2020 Voyageurs to bed and declare TFC-Forge joint winners.  It's already September, no room in the schedule to put this game in...

Holding this final in July 2022 is and will be a joke and people will simply look at this game as money grab for all parties concerned.

On 9/16/2021 at 3:50 PM, narduch said:

I think we should list it as no winner.

I want max chaos by the game being played and us forever having to explain how Insigne has the 2020 edition Vs Cup in his trophy case. 

12 hours ago, chalms04 said:

I want max chaos by the game being played and us forever having to explain how Insigne has the 2020 edition Vs Cup in his trophy case. 

I kind of like this wikipedia entry.

image.png.0bc65bbe6c99939e51a98784b6ab03d0.png

Defending champions - TBD
(2021) Champions - CF Montreal

• 1 month later...
28 minutes ago, narduch said:

Here's some news I wasn't expecting. 

CSA showing their Ontario bias once again. Disgraceful that Vancouver is not hosting this LOL

This is such a joke, just about every other sports season/tournament/match that was postponed was simply abandoned, contested. Simply a casualty of the pandemic. Plus its during the international break.

The way I see it this match is little more than a friendly, I don't see a real issue with having TFC come to The Hammer to play Forge, it will probably draw a decent crowd! Remember Forge were forced to allow TFC to take the spot in CCL due to circumstances, this is just a goodwill gesture for that, call it a money grab or whatever you want, I look forward to another night of football at THF, what's wrong with that?

33 minutes ago, gator said:

The way I see it this match is little more than a friendly, I don't see a real issue with having TFC come to The Hammer to play Forge, it will probably draw a decent crowd! Remember Forge were forced to allow TFC to take the spot in CCL due to circumstances, this is just a goodwill gesture for that, call it a money grab or whatever you want, I look forward to another night of football at THF, what's wrong with that?

Great for Forge fans, and hopefully a good gate for Bob. Pretty good for TFC fans. Probably a good opportunity for some more fringe TFC players to play in a final. I have my suspicions that if TFC had to travel further for this match (ie: had Edmonton or Pacific won the Island Games in 2020) it would never have seen the light of day.

6 hours ago, narduch said:

Agreed. 

Just list it as no winner that year.

Wouldn't be the first time that has happened in the history of sport.

37 minutes ago, gator said:

I am 1000% convinced if Forge had held on and beat Montreal in the semi-final last year and hosted the 2021 Final vs. Toronto this 2022 charade of a match would have never happened. It simply would have been considered uncontested. 

3 hours ago, Cblake said:

I am 1000% convinced if Forge had held on and beat Montreal in the semi-final last year and hosted the 2021 Final vs. Toronto this 2022 charade of a match would have never happened. It simply would have been considered uncontested. 

I'd think so - a twofer- and they'd have fixed it somehow for that game to be in Hamilton.

Not sure how much ambition I'll have to trucking out to Hamilton for this one ...

16 hours ago, Big_M said:

Bontis looking like as much a joke as Montagliani when it comes to competitions...just cancel and move on...now gonna play 2020 two years later with completely different rosters...has nothing to do with 2020 lol

In fairness to Bontis, he did say in a 2020 interview, that the game will likely be played in 2022 in Hamilton (with many of us laughing at the suggestion at the time).

I'm looking forward to this.  I can understand people's fears of this match being labelled as ridiculous, but I don't think so; the excuse is still legitimate.

If we want to be positive about it: first ever Forge v. TFC...on a Saturday night in June...for a trophy.  If they hype this well, they could get a really good crowd for this. 🙂  

I don't understand the disdain for this match, yes it is not a true Cup Final, we can blame covid and circumstances around dealing with it for that and as has been stated this match was promised to Hamilton when Forge stepped aside for TFC to take the place in the CCL competition! IIRC it was not convenient for TFC to play Forge because of scheduling and then their season ending, many fans would have been more angry if a forfeit was involved so this was a bit of a compromise, once the match wasn't going to be played in the 2020 season Forge were at a distinct disadvantage as far as fielding a team for the CCL! Last season Hearts played Celtic for the previous season's Cup with a completely different team in fact one that had been expelled to the lower division so there is some precedent elsewhere! This should be fun to host TFC and I think local fans will embrace it, if you are not keen on this don't go or don't watch it on tv, I'll be at THF enjoying what could be a good exhibition!

4 hours ago, gator said:

this match was promised to Hamilton when Forge stepped aside for TFC to take the place in the CCL competition!

This is why this match is important.

22 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Just a joke at this stage. Embarrassing...

The joke is if Forge wins.

Seriously, what does the CSA do if Forge wins? Does Forge steal the CCL spot the next time that TFC qualify? :D

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

15 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Reminder:

This match will be during the international window while the #CanMNT is playing Concacaf Nations League matches.

Unless it is going head to head in a time slot with the CMNT I don't think it will make much difference on attendance, if you are referring to TFC missing a couple of players so be it, I highly doubt they would play much of a first team anyway!

27 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Reminder:

This match will be during the international window while the #CanMNT is playing Concacaf Nations League matches.

I am hoping the CSA does not have both scheduled on the same day. 

11 minutes ago, gator said:

Unless it is going head to head in a time slot with the CMNT I don't think it will make much difference on attendance, if you are referring to TFC missing a couple of players so be it, I highly doubt they would play much of a first team anyway!

But the Canadian match could be against a minnow, wonder if that changed things, people deciding to go or stay home and watch the Canucks whack someone. 

13 minutes ago, gator said:

Unless it is going head to head in a time slot with the CMNT I don't think it will make much difference on attendance

It could be a 2015 type situation where you have a #CanMNT match in Toronto or Montréal  on the Friday night and this match the next day in Hamilton.

17 minutes ago, gator said:

if you are referring to TFC missing a couple of players so be it

Osorio and maybe a few others will be missing.

18 minutes ago, gator said:

I highly doubt they would play much of a first team anyway!

It's a trophy. They may go close to a first team lineup.