2020 Voyageurs Cup Format

1 hour ago, narduch said:

It looks like they were waiting for Concacaf to set up the 2021 format. That wasn't announced until January 22. And the draw wasn't until February 10. My guess is that is the day they really started to plan this.

If what you are saying is true, then why had CSA announced almost 3 months earlier that it would be before the end of March?

2 minutes ago, narduch said:

Technically March 31 would be the last possible date.

CSA has not once scheduled a Voyageurs Cup match during an international break. (or technically I suppose, the day after). And how could it have been, with the quarantine rules - that have now been in effect for almost 12 months?

5 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Stop you're whining and do your homework. MLS clubs got dealt a better hand than before, yet you're throwing a fit that CPL got 2. Wow

I'm whining? What about all those whining because an incompetently managed semi-pro team, "messed up" their paperwork.

If Hamilton wanted into the Champions League, they should have beaten Haiti when they had a chance.

Surely as Voyageurs - we should be wanting to see Canada's two best teams playing for this - Montreal and Toronto. Not whining about a third-tier club. 

Perhaps we should get together and push CSA to schedule a Montreal-Toronto final.

Edited by nfitz

Just now, nfitz said:

I'm whining? What about all those whining because an incompetently managed semi-pro team, messed up their paperwork.

If Hamilton wanted into the Champions League, they should have beaten Haiti when they had a chance.

Surely as Voyageurs - we should be wanting to see Canada's two best teams playing for this - Montreal and Toronto. Not whining about a third-tier club. 

Perhaps we should get together and push CSA to schedule a Montreal-Toronto final.

How do you know the Forge screwed up the paperwork? You are just making that up.

And the point if wanting it to be TFC v Montreal is a hilariously bad take.

This makes you look silly. Just another biased TFC fan.

6 minutes ago, Ansem said:

MLS clubs got dealt a better hand than before, yet you're throwing a fit that CPL got 2. Wow

How am I throwing a fit? I'm in favour of those two spots going to CPL, and I've said so previously.

I'm simply pointing out your hypocrisy about CPL being treated equally - when it quite clearly isn't.

Please stop with the rudeness and personal attacks. If you persist in doing so, please leave this forum.

1 minute ago, narduch said:

How do you know the Forge screwed up the paperwork? You are just making that up.

And the point if wanting it to be TFC v Montreal is a hilariously bad take.

This makes you look silly. Just another biased TFC fan.

If Hamilton Forge didn't submit paperwork that got them approved, then they screwed up.

But hang on - how would playing Montreal instead of Hamilton make me a biased TFC fan?

You aren't possibly suggesting that Hamilton would provide a bigger challenge on March 20th than Montreal?

Is it possible you have some pro-CPL biases?

6 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Using American logic and using them as the measuring stick shows how little you understand global football...not even worth giving into this.

Ottawa Fury folded because CONCACAF denied them an extension to their sanction. 

CPL was willing to let them operate in the league AS IS in recognition for what they accomplished. They turned it down and some of their staff went on with publoc cheap shoots against the league - get your facts straight 

CCL

It's CONCACAF that gives the berths to each nations. They gave 3 to Canada.

CONCACAF, CSA fixed a huge injustice towards the 3 MLS clubs. They can now qualify via the league & League cup. If they all do well, all 3 could qualify for the CCL. That's a massive win for them.

The Canadian cup REMAINS accessible to MLS clubs to compete in it. That's an extra opportunity for 1 of the 3 to access the CCL.

MLS is NOT a CSA sanctioned league. The 2 Canadian berths was always going to CPL one way or another. 

Its the norm for domestic cups to only send their winners to Continental football so forget about assigning to the V Cup because I know that's where you're going with this.

Stop you're whining and do your homework. MLS clubs got dealt a better hand than before, yet you're throwing a fit that CPL got 2. Wow

The Ottawa Fury were sold and moved to Miami on paper anyways. The biggest difference now is that CONCACAF is now assigning each spot directly and not to the respective associations for them to assign them. That is where the problem arose for the Canadian MLS teams in that the USSF decided they could not fill one of their spots. 

4 minutes ago, nfitz said:

But hang on - how would playing Montreal instead of Hamilton make me a biased TFC fan?

You aren't possibly suggesting that Hamilton would provide a bigger challenge on March 20th than Montreal?

Is it possible you have some pro-CPL biases?

This is such a stupid premise. 

Let's go even further. Why bother playing any games at all? Let's award trophies bases on Transfermarket value of each team. Might as well using your logic.

Edited by narduch

This is such a stupid premise. 

Let's go even further. Why bother playing any games at all? Let's award trophies bases on Transfermarket value of each team. Might as well using your logic.

I want to see it played. But we've already tossed the other 11 teams out of the tournament already. Might as well just cancel it and give it to the top MLS team, like they did in 2015, when the top 2014 MLS team got it.

Where were all the complaints then about Edmonton and Ottawa in the NASL not having a way in to the 2015 Champions League. Heck, unlike Hamilton, they didn't even have an alternative pathway.

4 minutes ago, narduch said:

Considering the morons we have running this province I do think it's possible this wasn't Forge's fault 

I'm willing to give you that one. On the other hand, considering the pandemic - is it possible that this isn't TFC or even CSA's fault, and that things are just shit all over right now? 

1 minute ago, nfitz said:

I want to see it played. But we've already tossed the other 11 teams out of the tournament already. Might as well just cancel it and give it to the top MLS team, like they did in 2015, when the top 2014 MLS team got it.

Where were all the complaints then about Edmonton and Ottawa in the NASL not having a way in to the 2015 Champions League. Heck, unlike Hamilton, they didn't even have an alternative pathway.

I'm willing to give you that one. On the other hand, considering the pandemic - is it possible that this isn't TFC or even CSA's fault, and that things are just shit all over right now? 

I think nobody cared about that weird double year because there was still a normal tournament.

All I'm saying is I want to see this match played in the fairest terms possible. The current proposed date does not allow for this.

I think nobody cared about that weird double year because there was still a normal tournament.

All I'm saying is I want to see this match played in the fairest terms possible. The current proposed date does not allow for this.

And if there was another possible date, I'd agree with you. Heck, move it to March 21.

But there isn't ... with the possible exception of April 3 in Florida. Though that's cutting it very fine - and not necessarily fair to who has to play Leon at altitude on April 7.

52 minutes ago, nfitz said:

Why are you making stuff up? It was in November 2020.

CPL themselves noted that the game was going to be the first quarter of 2021, after the CSA set it. With the international break starting March 22, the last possible date was always March 21.

https://canpl.ca/article/2020-canadian-championship-final-pushed-back-to-first-quarter-of-2021

Why are you taking my quote out of context and then accusing me of making stuff up?  I'm literally responding to someone refering the February 10th, the draw date of the Champions League.

51 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Why are you taking my quote out of context and then accusing me of making stuff up?  I'm literally responding to someone refering the February 10th, the draw date of the Champions League.

I took it out of context to drive home the point that everyone knew in November 2020 that the latest possible date was March 21, 2021.

This entire discussion baffles me. Why we need to invent a complex, unlikely conspiracy theory to explain why a top MLS team needs to create advantages against a semi-professional side, when there are much more obvious explanations to the situation we find ourselves in!

33 minutes ago, nfitz said:

I took it out of context to drive home the point that everyone knew in November 2020 that the latest possible date was March 21, 2021.

In November, the tournament was still set for February.  The tournament wasn't officially moved back until January.  So while the the latest possible date could have been in March, no date could have realistically been set until the CSA had a better understanding of when it would be.  But you're an idiot for deliberately taking my words out of context.

Edited by Watchmen

3 hours ago, Watchmen said:

In November, the tournament was still set for February.  The tournament wasn't officially moved back until January.  So while the the latest possible date could have been in March, no date could have realistically been set until the CSA had a better understanding of when it would be.  But you're an idiot for deliberately taking my words out of context.

Just because we didn't have an update doesn't mean they didn't already know it would be delayed.

Please don't resort to name calling. Such bullying shouldn't be part of our culture.

17 minutes ago, nfitz said:

Just because we didn't have an update doesn't mean they didn't already know it would be delayed.

Please don't resort to name calling. Such bullying shouldn't be part of our culture.

Now you're being bullied? Are you serious ? Grow a set 🙄

15 minutes ago, nfitz said:

Well, don't be an idiot by deliberately misleading people by purposefully taking my words out of context.  Such tactics shouldn't be a part of our culture.

1 hour ago, Watchmen said:

Well, don't be an idiot by deliberately misleading people by purposefully taking my words out of context.  Such tactics shouldn't be a part of our culture.

Stop with the name calling. That's just not cool.

Given how blatantly and over-the-top my "deliberate misleading" was, I fail to see how what I saw as the obvious humour in my comment didn't transmit.

1 hour ago, longlugan said:

Now you're being bullied? Are you serious ? Grow a set 🙄

Great ... now we have misogynistic comments. No wonder Voyageurs wanted to ditch this cesspool!

1 hour ago, nfitz said:

Stop with the name calling. That's just not cool.

Given how blatantly and over-the-top my "deliberate misleading" was, I fail to see how what I saw as the obvious humour in my comment didn't transmit.

Yes. Statements such as "Why are you making stuff up." is the height of humour. You're an idiot. And a liar.

19 hours ago, narduch said:

If they had defeated Haiti's Arachaie they would have qualified for Champions League. They really should have won that match. 

My theory is CSA cancels the Voyageurs Cup outright had that happened. 

Forge had one last chance to qualify in a play in game against Marathon but lost 1-0.

Maybe I should of been more clear. I knew Forge would of qualified if they won, but would this game still be played if so?

50 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

Maybe I should of been more clear. I knew Forge would of qualified if they won, but would this game still be played if so?

My own speculation is no.

And I also think part of CSA's inaction was due to them waiting it out.

So they didn't know until December 8 that they needed to play this match for sure. And even than they waited for Concacaf to announce the start date for 2021 Champions League too probably. Which takes you to January 22.

Edited by narduch