York9 - Season Thread 2020

1 hour ago, Mikmacdo said:

there was a contest on York9s official twitter to guess where the next twe international signings were from. they will be announced this week. 

Ahh... thanks. I don’t have twitter, instagram, or Facebook. Looking forward to seeing who the new guys are. I was already getting pretty excited about this year’s roster!

8 hours ago, Ams1984 said:

Ahh... thanks. I don’t have twitter, instagram, or Facebook. Looking forward to seeing who the new guys are. I was already getting pretty excited about this year’s roster!

Ya I thought the roster was pretty much set and now we get two international players from powerhouses, you have to assume they will be coming to compete for a starting position. The depth on the squad will be so much better. 

20 hours ago, Stouffvillain said:

C'mon Kent, remember that Martina cracker vs Portland?

I agree with you.  It is hard to tell how incoming players will do.  That is all over the world regardless of league, flops are going to happen. 

With the 21st Club association I would think that clubs have been able to cast a wider net in scouting internationals than last year.  The pedigree of the internationals coming in are better but whether that means they will be better in a Y9 strip you can't tell at this stage.  

That goal is why I remember his name. It also drives home my perception that even after seeing them for a game or two you can be fooled. I think that was his first home game, probably 2nd or 3rd game for the club, and I think (I could be way off) he only scored like 1 more goal for TFC in MLS play.

Edit: I just checked my facts. I had forgotten that his other goal was in that same game! It was in fact his 2nd game for the club. So he only ever scored on that day for TFC.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/players/javier-martina

Edited by Kent

6 hours ago, Mikmacdo said:

Ya I thought the roster was pretty much set and now we get two international players from powerhouses, you have to assume they will be coming to compete for a starting position. The depth on the squad will be so much better. 

Very interested to see who they are. If they are instant starters York really mean business this year. Impressed. 

For once, I get to submit a tweet to break news on the Y9 thread 😛

Just checked his wiki and the Y9 article, he's coming from the D2 of the state championship in Goias, which I think is equivalent to about D5 or D6 in the Brazillian football pyramid as a whole. I read that you have to finish in about the top half of the D1 of the Campeonato Goiano to at least qualify for Serie D. 

But hey, all new signings are welcome, and who knows what this guy can produce, looking forward to it. 

7 hours ago, Mikmacdo said:

He got on the field for Bahia and scored a couple of goals 🤷. Probably the backup striker on paper. 

Yes, probably from the outset is back up to Ugarriza but like we were just saying yesterday (re: Javier Martina) sometimes you never know what you're going to get.  All he'll need is an opportunity and who knows what we'll see.  Tyler Attardo, Easton Ongaro and Terran Campbell were all expected to be back ups last year and outperformed expectations.

7 hours ago, Mikmacdo said:

I'm hoping the Argentinian is an attacking midfielder. It's one hole in the roster. 

I think that is something we don't have, that trequartista type player but we don't have enough at the back and have one U21 player thus far and 20 roster spots now filled.

5 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

I can't find his transfermarket profile or wikipedia. Is he a 10? 

I guess cuz he was part of the youth academy, rather than the reserves or the senior side. Saw the CPL article said he was on trial with Colorado recently. But damn, Racing, that's quite a decent side. 

Just now, ironcub14 said:

I guess cuz he was part of the youth academy, rather than the reserves or the senior side. Saw the CPL article said he was on trial with Colorado recently. But damn, Racing, that's quite a decent side. 

The rapids listed him as a central mid/DM. He's pretty tiny to be a DM ? I think y9 will play a system similar to Liverpool with no number 10 and the fullbacks will bomb up the sidelines. 

The only thing left is to sign the draft picks or find other u21 players. They can't just have 3 centrebacks? I guess mannella can cover at CB but still. 

4 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

The only thing that one can find is Football Manager stats:

https://fmdataba.com/19/p/28032/brian-lopez/#gallery

According to that he's a central midfielder... but they aren't really reliable for positions I find.  

That's a pretty cool site, thanks for that. I checked Soccerway, there were more players there than on Transfermarkt, but no find there either.

But if that FM profile is something to go by, more a DM than an AM eh? Makes sense though, if Y9 is playing a 4-3-3 more than a 4-2-3-1, then there'd be more need for CMs and DMs than for AMs. 

2 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

The rapids listed him as a central mid/DM. He's pretty tiny to be a DM ? I think y9 will play a system similar to Liverpool with no number 10 and the fullbacks will bomb up the sidelines. 

The only thing left is to sign the draft picks or find other u21 players. They can't just have 3 centrebacks? I guess mannella can cover at CB but still. 

Ah I see it, great find man: https://www.burgundywave.com/2020/1/21/21075570/rapids-release-2020-preseason-roster

Hey, Argentines love their 4's and 6's, you don't have to be tall to play CM/DM at all, you just got to have thick thighs, motor, and composure. I think Aparicio is a decent example among many, I'm sure he's influenced by that mold as an Argentinean-Canadian. 

1 minute ago, Big_M said:

The squad under the reserve squad..oh boy..if he is successful it will look bad for the level of the league but it will become a great place to recruit for teams at a low cost

They signed him to a three year deal so I don't think he will play much right away. 

• RS locked this topic