York9 - Season Thread 2020

52 minutes ago, ironcub14 said:

I thought we were able to come to a decent understanding the last time we had a similar debate/argument, Ams. Like I said last time, I do see and understand some of your views. Nobody wants Y9 or CPL games to be overtly political. And I totally understand you are supportive of the inclusion of women and trans people. 

I just am not seeing how "identifies as" in this specific case for the Dames is political language. To me, it's both a biological and a social language, not political whatsoever. Politics to me would be how we as a society or individuals decide we want to treat women and trans people, or how we react to their self-identification as such. But to simply say we are looking for those who identify as women, that honestly seems like just biological or social language. 

Anyways, I'm sure we'd all rather talk about the Y9 season instead. So far, we've only had Antony Casimiro say that we may have signed Mutambala, right? Cool stuff, we definitely need some U21 signings lol. Anybody know what the penalty is for failing to meet the U21 minutes quota? Lol imagine if Y9 failed to meet it lol. 

Cheers. I’ll leave it there. 

re: the u-21 penalty, I think it’s a monetary fine. Not sure how much. In FM (I know... ha ha) it wasn’t huge. 

1 hour ago, Macksam said:

@Unnamed Trialist, you were banned for race baiting and saying bigoted things about a certain demographic. There's a difference.

To clarify for others not in the know here, this so-called 'race baiting' and 'bigoted view' was @Unnamed Trialistcalling out the fact that so many football spaces seem predominantly white, and that there is a need to be inclusive of the many non-white football fans. The framing of it as 'bigoted' is just more 'reverse racism' bs.

My start of pre-season opening day lineup is:

--------------------------------Ugarriza--------------------------

Petrasso------------------------------------------Vasconcelos

------------Aparicio--------Mannella---------Murofushi------

Abzi----------Gasparotto------Thompson-----------Doner

-----------------------------Ingham------------------------------------

I really think that the early start to training with the returning domestic players will pay off with a quick start to the season.  Three of our first five matches (3 of first 4 home matches) are against clubs that have had a large turnover or are brand new.  I like our chances of being in double digit points after 5 matches.  

7 minutes ago, Stouffvillain said:

I really think that the early start to training with the returning domestic players will pay off with a quick start to the season.  Three of our first five matches (3 of first 4 home matches) are against clubs that have had a large turnover or are brand new.  I like our chances of being in double digit points after 5 matches.  

I like this lineup a lot. I’m especially excited to see what Ugarriza and Vasconcelos will add. Some of the Argie additions are more of an unknown commodity in my opinion, but I could see one of them challenging Murofushi at CM. The reason I see Vasconcelos and Ugarriza as more of a known commodity (despite never having seen either play) is that Vasconcelos was a Corinthians product and was then loaned out to regional clubs whilst Ugarriza played in the Peruvian top league fairly regularly.

Vasconcelos didn’t play for Corinthians’ senior side (I believe) but the simple fact of having been produced by their famed academy is worth something, and he has played frequently in lower Brazilian tiers. 

Anyways, I guess we’ll see!

1 hour ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

To clarify for others not in the know here, this so-called 'race baiting' and 'bigoted view' was @Unnamed Trialistcalling out the fact that so many football spaces seem predominantly white, and that there is a need to be inclusive of the many non-white football fans. The framing of it as 'bigoted' is just more 'reverse racism' bs.

What is a non white fan? And reversely what is a white fan? I genuinely would like to know

I think it's very important we understand how the racist mind works. Please tell us how you distinguish these different people and what makes them different. It's important you clarify

Edited by SpursFlu

2 minutes ago, Lofty said:

It amuses me that those who sanctimoniously call others racist are the ones who most often try to divide us along racial lines! Their lack of self awareness is astonishing! 😂

If you feel so good about yourself please explain the difference. Let's understand the perspective. Apparently we need to treat people different based on their appearance. Please go on

Just now, SpursFlu said:

I guess your not allowed to call out racism around here. Nice values

Calling out racism is fine. Reporting it is better.

Going way off topic and starting a fight just for the hell of it, while pushing out false information, no need for that distraction.

When someone tells me we need to categorize people because they fundamentally think they are different and then treat them differently based on the definition you chose for them. That's the most racist trash I've ever heard and take it very personal. It has no place in this country and no place on this forum

Edited by SpursFlu

7 minutes ago, Rintaran said:

Calling out racism is fine. Reporting it is better.

Going way off topic and starting a fight just for the hell of it, while pushing out false information, no need for that distraction.

Did you or another mod delete yellowsweatygorilla's last couple of replies on this thread? That's just disrespectful and straight up censorship lmao. Restore them back, please. We can talk Y9, but we can also talk other topics here too, no need to baby us. 

Just now, SpursFlu said:

When someone tells me we need to categorize people because they fundamentally think they are different and then treat them differently based on the definition you chose them. That's the most racist trash I've ever heard and take it very personal

As do I. So click the report button instead of further antagonizing someone acting in a racist manner, and keep the threat on-topic.

For example, my contribution:

I'm very pleased that the Dames of York have stepped up and started their own supporters group, just as I'm please the Green Lions started one for people attending the university. It's great to see some focused supporters groups, and I hope they do a great job attracting more fans from their target demographics.

With 3 supporters groups, hopefully we'll see those attendance numbers grow this year.

5 minutes ago, ironcub14 said:

Did you or another mod delete yellowsweatygorilla's last couple of replies on this thread? That's just disrespectful and straight up censorship lmao. Restore them back, please. We can talk Y9, but we can also talk other topics here too, no need to baby us. 

Just reloaded my page, nothing is hidden...

I hate getting into this OT shit, but:

3 hours ago, Macksam said:

@Unnamed Trialist, you were banned for race baiting and saying bigoted things about a certain demographic. There's a difference.

2 hours ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

I will say that UT was not temporarily banned for the above reasons. He was temporarily banned for harassment, bullying, and issuing threats.

He was restored under the understanding that these actions would be discontinued, and, after some huffing & puffing, they have. I generally enjoy his viewpoints as they provide a welcome counterbalance (most of the time).

I don't really want to go further into this. IMO, it's water under the bridge. I wish UT saw it the same, but I can take his baseless jabs.

To go back to Y9 for a second, the reason I enjoy reading but never do expected starting lineups before the season is that there are just way too many surprises and unknown variables and fierce competition for the spots.

Just to take one example, we started the 2019 season with Telfer and Porter as our wingbacks in a 5-3-2. We ended the 2019 season with Abzi and Doner solidly ingrained as our fullbacks in a 4-3-3, with Telfer as our main winger and Porter as one of our CMs. The team changed dramatically over the year.

It likely won't since this is the club's 2nd season obviously, but who knows how some of those competitions for the spots may end up coming out in preseason and over the regular season? Looking forward to the preseason fixtures for sure. Maybe we'll even get to watch them this time around. 

1 hour ago, Stouffvillain said:

I like it, don't sleep on Arnone though. He was hfx's mvp and they had a solid defense.

49 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

What is a non white fan? And reversely what is a white fan? I genuinely would like to know

I think it's very important we understand how the racist mind works. Please tell us how you distinguish these different people and what makes them different. It's important you clarify

23 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

When someone tells me we need to categorize people because they fundamentally think they are different and then treat them differently based on the definition you chose for them. That's the most racist trash I've ever heard and take it very personal. It has no place in this country and no place on this forum

I'll clarify. Race is a social construct, but its continued resonance through histories of marginalization and systemic racism makes it a reality in our society. Unless you want to deny colonialization, slavery, indentured servitude and its continued relevance in the form of income disparities, disproportionate incarceration, etc., it's clear that race, despite its lack of groundings in biological differences, carry social weight.

Pointing out that people in our society are arbitrarily categorized and face differential treatment, thus necessitating the need for policies and practices to ensure inclusion, is not akin to doing the categorization. This of course applies to gender and sexuality (to bring it back to where this conversation began). And guess what, calling out discrimination is a good first step to ensuring that people confronted with discrimination feel comfortable participating in certain spaces. I know as a racialized supporter myself, I haven't always felt welcome Canadian football spaces, and this type of discussion right now doesn't help. I am just thankful that most people here recognize the need to address these issues in the sport.

Edit: Re-reading my initial post and the response, I wonder if there might be confusion about what I meant. From my recollection, though a mod has contested it, @Unnamed Trialist was banned after a discussion where he had complained that football fandom spaces seem to be predominantly white, and that non-white fans don't always feel welcome in the space. Macksam then suggested that this complaint was 'bigotry against white people'. I am saying that Macksam's response is groundless. As groundless as suggestions that anti-racism efforts are themselves 'reverse racism'.

Edited by yellowsweatygorilla

1 hour ago, Stouffvillain said:

I guess it's inherently going to be speculative at this stage. But based just on pedigree wonder if Brian Lopez slots in over Murofushi (as much as I love Wataru).

I do think it's a testament to the high standards of international signings that I really have no clue who should start. Nicholas Hamilton is another one who has done so well in the Jamaican league, and whom I think can make an impact.

The backline though is probably where we can build more consensus around. As much as Arnone has done well with HFX, I really liked the Gasparotto Thompson partnership. Just hope Thompson can stay healthy. Fullbacks are a lock

I think most people have hit the nail on the head:

1) Dames of York = more fans = good

2) Exclusive group = bad

To my knowledge this is the only supporters group in North America that is made for a specific gender... maybe this would be a good idea if it was warranted but the fact is that every supporters end in this country flies an LGBTQ2S+ flag and carry banners that say "everyone welcome".  So this group's creation with a message that seems to go contrary to those values is pretty hilarious. 

If the group wants to cater to female fans that's great but this group is too ironic not to laugh at.  I honestly wish nothing but the best for them but it comes across as an extreme lack of self awareness.   

16 minutes ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

I don't even follow what your complaint is.

Are you suggesting that my claim that certain groups of people face racism and that we need to practice anti-racism is itself racist?

Your racial social construct is racism. And rascist people always feel the need to spread racism. That's why it needs to be pointed out and stopped

You should take the time to understand my point. Its very important. I'm sure your a good person and you should try and live a life free of rascism. I understand it's not easy but it's the future my friend 

Edited by SpursFlu

• RS locked this topic