York9 - Season Thread 2020

https://york9fc.canpl.ca/york9-adds-argentinian-midfielder-brian-lopez-as-final-international

Managing consultant Angus McNab explained: “He’s come through one of the best football schools in the world with Racing Club, and while he is a young player, we’re delighted to have secured him on an agreement that gives the club the option to keep him through to the end of 2022.

31 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

Platt says he was told Lopez will compete with mannella as a 6. 

On another note this thread is the second most popular behind vapours this season. Valours popularity isn't based on anything positive either 😁

McNabb is doing a tremendous job. 

I lol at the Valour part haha, but I thought that's funny you mentioned Platt cuz that was the convo I was having with him a bit earlier. 

And I just made the extra connection haha, cheers man. 

2 hours ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

If that is confirmed then one of the two draft picks will not be on the roster.

I don’t expect Johnston to make the roster, he was always a long shot as a 17 year old 2nd round pick that just finished his freshman year. I think it is more about getting a close look at him in camp for future years. 

15 hours ago, Stouffvillain said:

I don’t expect Johnston to make the roster, he was always a long shot as a 17 year old 2nd round pick that just finished his freshman year. I think it is more about getting a close look at him in camp for future years. 

They would have to draft him again anyhow though? 

Mutambala is a nice pick up for a u21.. will Lopez count as one too?  If not then it’s just him and Ferrari for now. 

Big fan of this squad and I’m a forge SSH. 

Edited by CanadaFan123

4 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Mutambala is a nice pick up for a u21.. will Lopez count as one too?  If not then it’s just him and Ferrari for now. 

Abzi is only 21 so he counts for the 1000 minutes right?

8 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

They would have to draft him again. I think is more to get an extended look.
U21 rules are in place to develop Canadians so Lopez wouldn’t count. Can’t find a birthdate for Karajovanovic but he was 20 when he was drafted so he may qualify (but minutes at striker will be hard to come by from the looks of things).

1 hour ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Hope this is a fan initiative rather than front office driven.

I hope so too. There’s so much wrong with this, but I’m not opening that can of worms here. One encouraging bit is that I haven’t seen it mentioned on the York 9 website. Generation IX and the new York U group (whatever it’s called) have both been mentioned there. 

2 hours ago, Ams1984 said:

I hope so too. There’s so much wrong with this, but I’m not opening that can of worms here. One encouraging bit is that I haven’t seen it mentioned on the York 9 website. Generation IX and the new York U group (whatever it’s called) have both been mentioned there. 

IT was posted on the CPL website, I dont get whats wrong with a female supporters group? The more groups/fans out there the better. 

12 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

IT was posted on the CPL website, I dont get whats wrong with a female supporters group? The more groups/fans out there the better. 

The more fans the better, I’m with you there. I don’t like the obvious political feel to their blurb, and I’m generally not a fan of dividing people into groups based on their immutable characteristics.

I’ve got no problem with a supporter’s group called “dames of York” but I’m not really excited about the “inclusive atmosphere for all those who identify as women” bit - first, its definitional exclusion, not inclusion, to have an X or Y only group. If there were a group promoting an “inclusive atmosphere for all men who support York 9” how would that play?

Second, why use politically laden language? Why not just say something like: “an inclusive York 9 supporters group for everyone interested in supporting our great club” (their name and image clearly convey the female-friendly culture of the group, the ‘identifies as’ is just unnecessary. The word “everyone” would cover that in a much less political way). 

34 minutes ago, Ams1984 said:

The more fans the better, I’m with you there. I don’t like the obvious political feel to their blurb, and I’m generally not a fan of dividing people into groups based on their immutable characteristics.

I’ve got no problem with a supporter’s group called “dames of York” but I’m not really excited about the “inclusive atmosphere for all those who identify as women” bit - first, its definitional exclusion, not inclusion, to have an X or Y only group. If there were a group promoting an “inclusive atmosphere for all men who support York 9” how would that play?

Second, why use politically laden language? Why not just say something like: “an inclusive York 9 supporters group for everyone interested in supporting our great club” (their name and image clearly convey the female-friendly culture of the group, the ‘identifies as’ is just unnecessary. The word “everyone” would cover that in a much less political way). 

I think your politicizing it by posting this. Maybe some women will just feel more comfortable in an all female supporters group. This kind of post is something one would see in the US where every thing is so politicized , they have somehow made this Corona virus into a left vs right thing in the US too. Nothing wrong with people wanting to be in a group they feel more comfortable in and especially women in this case.

2 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

I think your politicizing it by posting this. Maybe some women will just feel more comfortable in an all female supporters group. This kind of post is something one would see in the US where every thing is so politicized , they have somehow made this Corona virus into a left vs right thing in the US too. Nothing wrong with people wanting to be in a group they feel more comfortable in and especially women in this case.

Ha ha... okay. I’m not going to bite on the US bashing. Look, the blurb is political in my opinion, and therefore I’m not sure how I can react in a totally apolitical way. I thought I did a pretty decent job of it by not addressing the normative valuations intrinsic to the language they used, instead I said (in other words) ‘I like equality and inclusiveness, and I find this to be unnecessarily exclusive’... if that qualifies as political, I guess everything is.  

2 minutes ago, Macksam said:

I have to agree with Ansem. The moment I saw the political buzzwords of inclusive and identify, my face went 😄.

Yep... it’s not a big deal I guess, I just sighed and thought ‘ok, here we go’. On the plus side, I just read that they’ll be doing outreach to try to get more fans into the stadium, so there’s that. We definately need to improve attendance. 

My biggest fear (in terms of this league) is that it’ll become politicized. I get enough political garbage shoved down my throat everywhere else all day, every day. I’m also afraid that if they go too political, they may actually turn off a lot of people. Hence my suggested different wording for their blurb. It achieves the same thing without the political buzz words. 

13 minutes ago, Ams1984 said:

Yep... it’s not a big deal I guess, I just sighed and thought ‘ok, here we go’. On the plus side, I just read that they’ll be doing outreach to try to get more fans into the stadium, so there’s that. We definately need to improve attendance. 

My biggest fear (in terms of this league) is that it’ll become politicized. I get enough political garbage shoved down my throat everywhere else all day, every day. I’m also afraid that if they go too political, they may actually turn off a lot of people. Hence my suggested different wording for their blurb. It achieves the same thing without the political buzz words. 

Hopefully it does not get to that point. 

22 minutes ago, y1y1y1 said:

you both kinda made it political rather than just being "ok cool more fans the better"

Sorry, that’s just not the case. 

When people choose to use political buzz words in the blurb about their group and it’s purpose, they’ve politicized it, not the people who later recognize and comment on their use of political buzz words. 

• RS locked this topic